Worms?? Ok, I am freaking out!!! - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci
Default Worms?? Ok, I am freaking out!!!

So, last night I let Gucci go potty inside because it was raining. When I went to flush her poop, I noticed a worm on it. It was white and SHAPED like rice, but a bit bigger than a grain of rice would be. It was very "slugish" looking and it was moving. Since the vet was closed, and I was in panic mode, I started researching worms. I found tapeworms and read that they looked similar, caused the dogs to "butt drag", which Gucci has been doing, and also causes little rice like things to appear on the fur in the back. She HAS had a lot of that, but they were more round than rice shaped. I am so clueless that I just thought it was something that was in her food that was coming out. (Not to be gross, but similar to humans)
So, I called the vet and they told me to bring a sample (like an idiot, I flushed the worm sample). I took that in this morning and it came back negative. The vet tech told me that is not uncommon because tapeworms don't always show up in every fecal sample. She gave me Droncit and told me to give her half today and the other half in three weeks.

I guess my question is: How do I know this is tapeworms??? How do I know how long she's had them??? How harmful are they?? She's only 4.5 months old, so I am petrified. She doesn't appear sickly, but clearly I am not the best judge since I have let her go with these things appearing on her fur and not questioning what it is.
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Bridget
Dog's Name: Lady Bella (and Katie & Lucky at The Bridge)

Oh we have lived this saga! Bella has had them twice now and I am constantly paranoid because of it. Our Vet was having an "off day" and said the sample tested negative also, but the worm was in the bag!!! Ughh. Bella never had any "symptoms" at all. Anyway, you'll need to Google the tapeworms to learn lots about them. It's essential that you dissinfect everything too. Dog Tapeworms ? Types, Causes, Treatments, and Prevention .

"A weed is just a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."

Last edited by Summergirl73; 12-13-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Summergirl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

So sorry Gucci has worms. I know this cannot be pleasant for either of you. I don't have any experience with it but do know its common and can be treated easily. I am sure the meds you were given will clear it up. Hope she feels better soon.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Let me just tell you that I read this post and I have been in a complete panic since.

Dixie's gone :(
Old 12-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I know she was dewormed on her 9 week vet appointment with the breeder. I haven't noticed the little round things on her behind until the last several weeks, as best as I can recall. I really thought it was just her food.
I feel like I am a horrible fluff mommy for letting this happen, but I don't know this stuff because she's my first puppy.
Then I read so much on here about not liking any heartworm prevention aside from Interceptor, so I am paranoid about giving her those meds...and I used some flea medicine on her, but I'm scared to do that too much. I haven't seen any fleas on her, but she loves to eat the grass, so she may have picked it up outside.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

She does need to be on a heart worm preventative. Mine are on Iverhart even Dewey . He was much younger when he was started on them. Once mine were "de wormed' they never had them again.

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianna82 View Post
I know she was dewormed on her 9 week vet appointment with the breeder. I haven't noticed the little round things on her behind until the last several weeks, as best as I can recall. I really thought it was just her food.
I feel like I am a horrible fluff mommy for letting this happen, but I don't know this stuff because she's my first puppy.
Then I read so much on here about not liking any heartworm prevention aside from Interceptor, so I am paranoid about giving her those meds...and I used some flea medicine on her, but I'm scared to do that too much. I haven't seen any fleas on her, but she loves to eat the grass, so she may have picked it up outside.
Anna, don't be so hard on yourself. You didn't know and your doing the best you can for Gucci. Did the vet identify what kind of worms she has??
Old 12-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe's Mom88 View Post
Anna, don't be so hard on yourself. You didn't know and your doing the best you can for Gucci. Did the vet identify what kind of worms she has??
No, they said that the sample I brought was negative. But the vet tech is actually my neighbor, so she asked me what it looked like and when I told her she said it was probably tapeworm since that sometimes doesn't show in the stool and the "symptoms" were similar. She gave me the Droncit to take and said that should kill it immediately. But she split it in half and said to only take half and then the other half in three weeks.
I am going to have to figure out how to treat the yard for fleas. I don't think SHE has any, but I am sure the yard does.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Oh....nice to have a neighbor who is a vet tech, lucky you and Gucci. If you know what it looked like maybe you can search the internet and be sure. I think its important to know what your dealing with.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

It sounds like tapeworms. They don't respond to regular deworming or heartworm pills. They come from fleas.

Tapeworm
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement