Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Chicken Bone

2K views 31 replies 23 participants last post by  vinhle68 
#1 ·
Ari and his Harry houdinie self strikes again!!! I believe he ate a chicken wing bone... The boys ate at kitchen table and left their plates I went to the rest room and when I came out he had one in his mouth .. I wrestled it away from him and tried to count them all. I really don't know how many there were to start with! What should I look for? Aren't they really hazardous to them ... I'm just sick now with worry!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#7 ·
Cooked chicken bones are one of the most dangerous things a dog can get to. The bones are soft and easily splinter in addition to a choking or obstructive hazard. I'd call your vet just to make sure and watch for any signs of GI discomfort, breathing abnormalities, abnormal stools, vomiting, etc...

Sent from my iPad using PG Free

#8 ·
We lost a dog here last year due to a chicken bone. . . please call your vet! I pray it will be ok.

#16 ·
Tiffany got a hold of a chicken bone once (I was walking her right after the garbage was picked up, and I think it fell out of someone's garbage can). I had her x-rayed at the vet and it looked ok, but they did suggest that I give her a piece of white bread that day, and another piece the day after. The bread was supposed to cushion the piece of bone and help her pass it. So that might be another thing to try.

#17 ·
Ok now he seems to be acting off!! He hasn't vomited... He's just laying around.. I made him some rice and he doesn't want it. He won't eat his treats and he keeps stretching his legs out!! Like he walks and pushes his legs back. He ate some grass but he always does that... I called the vet and she said 36 hours it should all be digested! She said she will see him in am if he keeps acting weird! Of course tomorrow I have 50 people over for a Christmas party.. I am a nervous wreck... I had a good cry ... I feel a little better...

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#18 ·
I would find an emergency vet just to be on the safe side. If the bone has lodged in his digestive system, he will not want to eat and will be uncomfortable. I've never heard of whole bones digesting but would be very concerned that it would be causing a blockage.

This can be very serious - we have a member who lost a beloved fluff due to a chicken bone, so I wouldn't take any chances.

#20 ·
Please don't wait--I have a friend who also lost a dog last year w/a part of a baby pacifier---a bone would be even more lethal. Act now, please.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.