Found a flea, vet says wait it out - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace'sMom View Post
Yep... flea and tick medicine don't prevent fleas, which is sort of a bad advertisement on their part because they call them "preventatives".

They are insecticides...so when they bite your pet, they are killed.
Actually, that is not true. This is from the Merial website:

Do fleas and ticks have to bite my pet for FRONTLINE Brand Products to work?

Fleas and ticks do not have to bite your pet for FRONTLINE Brand Products to work. FRONTLINE Brand Products kill fleas and ticks if they simply come into contact with your pet's haircoat. The fleas will die within 12 hours of contact with your treated pet, and ticks will die within 48 hours.

How do FRONTLINE Brand Products kill fleas before they can lay eggs on my pet?

Once new adult fleas jump on your pet, they must be present on the host for at least 24 to 36 hours before they can lay eggs. Our research data indicates that FRONTLINE Brand Products, when used monthly, will kill your pet's fleas within 12 hours of application - before they can lay eggs.

Pages - Home
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

Revolution did nothing to help Leila. We have a lab who goes outside a lot and whenever she would bring any fleas in, they would get on Leila. Kaylee is also on a "preventative". Leila has now had 2 doses of Trifexis with no problems and I haven't seen a flea since. Do you have a flea comb?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila'sMommy View Post
Revolution did nothing to help Leila. We have a lab who goes outside a lot and whenever she would bring any fleas in, they would get on Leila. Kaylee is also on a "preventative". Leila has now had 2 doses of Trifexis with no problems and I haven't seen a flea since. Do you have a flea comb?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Yes, that's how I found the flea, I give him a once over with a flea comb everyday. I hope I don't find any more on him. Really don't want to switch to an oral combination pill.
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiksaa View Post
Yes, that's how I found the flea, I give him a once over with a flea comb everyday. I hope I don't find any more on him. Really don't want to switch to an oral combination pill.
I feel the same way. I don't do combination pills since both are pesticides. I don't even use the combination topicals like Revolution. I always separate flea/heartworm by 1-2 weeks.

I have used Advantage or Frontline for 12 years without a problem and live in the Southeast - flea country!

Last edited by Ladysmom; 12-13-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

Honestly, I don't see any reason to get all freaked out. MiMi hasn't had a flea, but Ray had one. I squished it and that was the end of it. I don't know why, but we have not had fleas...KNOCK ON WOOD.. and I have not had to use anything to prevent them, but I really don't think you should get all freaked out and use poison for one flea. Realize that what kills fleas is poison. P O I S O N. Use it as a last resort, not for one flea.

I know that others don't share my opinion, but I am simply sharing my opinion. Perhaps, I am blessed to live in an area where fleas and ticks are not much of a threat.
Advertisement