Now she's waking up during the night - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 11:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila
Default Now she's waking up during the night

Leila has been waking up around 2 a.m. every night this week. She had been sleeping all night until now. I don't know if it's because she's been changing her nap times, teething, or from drinking too much water too close to bedtime. Has anyone else ever had this happen after being used to sleeping all night? If so, what caused it to happen? Also, do you stop letting them drink after a certain time at night so they won't wake up to have to pee? When she's been waking up, I take her to her potty pad and she goes. I don't know for sure if she's waking up because of a full bladder or if her gums are bothering her and because she's awake she can potty but would've otherwise not had to go if her gums didn't wake her. Then again, I don't know if her sleep pattern is changing. Of course, I don't want her to get in the habit of waking up at this time just to potty. Any advise/suggestions/similar thing happened?

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 11:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Ashley
Dog's Name: Sophie

Sophie did the exact same thing a couple weeks ago, my BF had to go away for work for a few days. She woke up at 2 every morning and just had a barking fit because her daddy wasnt there. Once he came back home she slept through the night fine. Is anyone that's normally at your house been flag one this week?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

AshleyAndSophiePup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kandis
Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny Maltese

Pam, Boy things are better when they get older say 1 1/2 yr...lol..Sammie just goes w/out waking me. but he never wakes up too often. They have beds and steps if they want in my bed. sometimes they fall asleep in their beds and are in mine in am. as far as waking up, Penny is still young, and at 1 yr old she will wake up most nights once prob about 3am or so and go potty but she is afraid I think to leave the b/room alone still. so I take her to papers if Sammie won't for me......LOL......she will go with him if she wakes him up. puppies want attention if they wake up. could be teeth, or having to potty.
xxxx

SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

I think she will get over whatever it is right now. They usually hold in the pee until the morning. I don't believe she will not do this forever. Puppies go through different stages and this is one of them.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

It may just be a stage... and so having a pee pad she can get to may be a good idea.... maybe her bladder hasn't caught up to her growth yet (like how their heads get huge then their legs get long...then their body finally catches up?)

But... if this is a new behavior -- how is her day time potty? Is she peeing more often? Having accidents?

If so -- I'd take a sample in. It is not uncommon for little girls to have UTIs....

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Laura
Dog's Name: Sammy

Can I ask what age Leila was when she started sleeping right through the night. I know Sammy doesn't sleep all night, he settles after 10 or so and I think he usually wakes after 4, this morning I heard him waking just after 4 and getting up although he doesn't try to wake me. If i'm not up for 6.30 he'll wake me though as he's used to me being up around 5.30 for work.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

She is 5 months old and has been sleeping through the night since I got her except the first few nights. Yes, my husband is working out of town and has stayed there some this week overnight because of the long hours this time of year. (He's a manager for UPS.) I really don't think it's a UTI. She doesn't potty any more often than usual and it's about the same amount. But she is playing real hard at night and has water after before taking a nap before bedtime. On work days, I get up at 5. I'm wondering if we are confusing her with our crazy routines. Should I try keeping her from taking that last nap of the day before bedtime?

Old 12-14-2012, 06:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kathy
Dog's Name: Pipper

Could she be cold????

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

pippersmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

No, I keep it warm.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Toni
Dog's Name: Bella

Bella will be 1 on Sunday, she gets up around 3 or so sometimes and we take her out to pee then back to sleep for a bit before getting back up for work. We try and make sure she doesn't drink water after 9pm and always take her out to potty before bed. I think it's just a stage since she doesn't do it all the time, good luck!!

Toni Wilson
Willow Springs, NC
ToniLWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement