Doggy Depression? - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I too would like to offer my heartfelt sympathies upon the loss of your beloved Pet. Five years ago (a week before Christmas) we lost our 14 1/2 year old Maltese, Angel and our Snuggles was deeply affected by her passing. We got our Chrissy at the end of February (approximately 2 months later) and Snuggles would not even come into the same room with her. I am assuming that in her mind, it was too soon to bring another pet into our home. I cannot tell you what to do as far as getting another Dog, but, you might want to wait a while since your remaing dog is missing him so. On the other hand, it might be the best thing that you can do for him to help him out of his depression.
Snuggle's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 08:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Terry
Dog's Name: Naddie, Quincy, & ( "Angel Missy" 8/11/94-7/19/05 )

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm203 View Post
Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I guess it just takes time. I will take Spencer in to the vet and have him double checked. In the meantime, we have been showering him with attention. And, one thing that I told my wife was to not be so depressed over the loss of our dog. I think the little guy picks up on this and that could affect him as well. They are pretty good on reading us, probably better than we will ever know.
First ... I'm so sorry for your loss... to lose a beloved pet is heartwrenching!

I believe what you said to be very true... though not 'easy' to do. An example is when my Missy ws dx with cancer... I was in horrible shape with that news. Though of course she had no idea... and no pain at the time... she was a bit more mopey than usual. My dear friend told me to not waste precious time and to fully enjoy every day with her. I realized she was right so I 'perked-up"... and no surprise...so did Missy! Yes I still had my moments..but tried to have them in provate , away from her. Around her I talked happy talk.. and played with her and tried to be upbeat.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janene
Dog's Name: Babinka (06/09/14 Rainbow Bridge) Peppino and Tiny Tina

my deepest condolences to you and your family! It does sound like your other fur baby is pineing for him. I would try a little bit of rescue remedy to help him.
maltese manica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

I too think that dogs wonder what happened to their friend when they pass. They miss them and do grieve. When my Avalon died, Ollie would look for her, in the places that she would normally sleep. At night , he would always go to her pillow and turn it over, looking for her. It broke my heart. I was sad for Avalon's passing, but also for Ollie. I am sorry for the loss of your Sami, and I would do what you're doing, lots of attention.

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:01 AM   #15 (permalink)

Name: Denise
Dog's Name: Bennington

I am so sorry for your loss; losing someone you love is such a devastating time.

I agree that Spencer is grieving the loss of a family member. When I lost my miniature schnauzer Onyx at the age of 8, our 13 year old cat Taiko went around the house crying...not his usual 'feed me' cry's, but deep wailing cry's. It broke my heart. I knew Onyx was sick, and that the time I had with him was short...but how do you prepare your fur babies? I made sure Taiko got lots of attention, as he was very needy, and wanted a lot of '"lap time". I left the radio or tv on when no one was home, and tempted him with special treats.

That was in August, and I just got a new puppy. Taiko has adjusted wonderfully....he is not crazy about Benni, but he tolerates him jumping and trying to play with him. I have even caught them sharing the water dish Really, who can not be affected by such happiness??

You will know when the time of grieving is enough and the time to celebrate life and love with a new pup is right for your family.
DeniseA. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Michelle Robison
Dog's Name: Amber, Emily,Lil Bit, Rylee, Sasha and a cat named Harry

I'm so sorry for your loss, it's never easy to say good bye.
Grief is as real for them as it is for us... I'm sure he's picking up on your grief too. It's so hard not to feel such loss when we loose a fluffs. When we knew Amy's time was coming we got two Maltese pups,so it wouldn't be so profound and it helped. It might help Sami and you both as well.
Getting one soon after isn't replacing the one that's left, it's helping the hearts heal and planting their love in the next one so it will continue to live and grow...

Mommy my bows are too tight...
When bad grooming happens to good Malts...

Jewellery, Doggie Goodies, Handmade tiles,cool flying pictures

http://www.picturetrail.com/michellerobison

Vote for Southern Comfort Maltese Rescue , Chattanooga, TN

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...hallenge.faces
michellerobison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #17 (permalink)

A lot of kind words and good advice. Thank you all so very much. Spencer or Spencie as the neighborhood kids call him, seems to be doing a little better today. He ate out of his dish without any coaxing, drank plenty of water and seemed more independant like he used to be.He even started playing with his toys again. Hopefully, tommorow will be even better.
pm203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

So happy he is coming around. So sad he lost his best buddy but just like humans they feel the pain. Give him a lot of extra love and attention. Hugs to you both!