Gus's foot - help - what would you do? - Page 4 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #31 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Tori, so sorry you went through this today. I can totally understand your frustration with the vet. I think I would call and speak to the vet you normally use and explain what happened today. Poor Gus....I hope he isn't in pain. Please keep us posted.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #32 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Dianne
Dog's Name: Rocky

Sorry I haven't been here in a little while, so I missed what happened to his foot. I would take him to the Vet just to be safe.

QUOTE=Grace'sMom;2095295]Okay guys... Need a little help here. Some "clear head" kind of thinking .....So I'm asking here what you would do:

I just took the bandage off Gus's foot.... I do this 3 times a day. But I really only look at it good in the morning and at night.

Took it off and the red is spreading down to his big pad (the center "foot" pad - not the "toe" pads)..... Which the big pad on the end by his dew claw is starting to get puffy.

Then it is going up toward the little pad that's up higher? I don't know the names...sorry. But it's going up and down now...not just his dew claw.

It's not smelly. Not oozing. Not bleeding.

But it's red...and it's puffy.

Do I just take a deep breath and wait until Wednesday and give the antibiotic time to kick in?

Or do I get up at 7am tomorrow and call the vet as we are on our way?

Is this an emergency?

Or do I need to cool my jets and give the Amox a few days?

Thanks....[/QUOTE]

Rocky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #33 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janene
Dog's Name: Babinka (06/09/14 Rainbow Bridge) Peppino and Tiny Tina

she is a flippin nut bar and needs those med herself!!! wow!!!! Just hope you and Gus are ok...... and of course miss Gracie!!
maltese manica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #34 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

Wow! I'm seriously speechless about that vet's approach :: poor Gus. tori, it does take a little while for antibiotics to work and the initial response could look worse before it looks better due to the killing of bacteria and the body's inflammatory response to that. But, I would expect to see some improvement by now. In humans, amoxicillin is not the best choice for skin infections. Maybe he needs to be switched to something like Cephalexin (comes in liquid form too) also known as keflex. That has great
Coverage of regular staph (not MRSA) and strep infections which are the two most common skin infxn culprits. Hopefully, he will improve quickly but fever worries me. I would Certainly NOT give benadryl if he is not itching. Let us know how he is doing.
hoaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #35 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Dianne
Dog's Name: Rocky

That appt sounded somewhat familiar to me when I've seen doctors myself. The horrible bed side manner you can let slide one time, but a second? I'd make sure it was known to the owner how rude she is. I hope little Gus is feeling better today. Poor baby..you are doing a great job staying on top of this and I'm sure it will clear up.

Rocky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #36 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

The thing is... she was so NICE ... She said all these things so nicely.... It was nuts. I was like

He is resting. The red streak hasn't gone higher... the toe looks darker, so hoping it's a "good" darker.

Other vet said she probably would have done a steroid shot and an antibiotic shot just to be safe.... But to give the antibiotic another day.

Gave me some things to watch for in case the infection is spreading. But so far he seems okay. Well, other than the foot being sore and red.

Fever is the same.

Will see her on Wednesday morning, bright and early. If it's still no improvement she will do a shot and maybe switch his antibiotic.... We will discuss removing them at that appointment...but it would probably wait until after the new year.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #37 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Walter
Dog's Name: Lucky

Tori, I realized what had come out is not what I wrote, sorry.

You certainly (and Gus certainly) need to be treated that way.
should have read
You certainly (and Gus certainly) need NOT to be treated that way.

I can not tell you how sorry I am, it was a typo. I absolutely think the vet was wrong, and you should never have been treated that way. I am mortified at the typo and for any hurt I may have caused when you read it; I would never write anything to intentionally hurt anyone. I am especially saddened that it was a time you feeling such stress. Often when I read things I have written I insert in my mind words (like not) that are not there.

Walter
wkomorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #38 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Michelle Robison
Dog's Name: Amber, Emily,Lil Bit, Rylee, Sasha and a cat named Harry

WE had a vet when we first moved into Napoleon, who treated us the same way, blew me off and said I was over reacting. Buffy died 20 minutes after we left his office!
I switched vets.I would seriously consider bringing this up to the regular vet and owner or manager of the clinic....

Kissies and hugs to Gussy and Grace too.

Mommy my bows are too tight...
When bad grooming happens to good Malts...

Jewellery, Doggie Goodies, Handmade tiles,cool flying pictures

http://www.picturetrail.com/michellerobison

Vote for Southern Comfort Maltese Rescue , Chattanooga, TN

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...hallenge.faces
michellerobison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #39 (permalink)

Name: Candice
Dog's Name: Einstein, aka Ein and Ami

I agree with everyone else's on the vet.. I believe big part of being a good doctor/vet, is to listen to what patient has to say about the illness and their story. Each patients come from different background, different story that might be contributing to their problems, and the doctor/vet not listening to them makes be eerie of ever having to go back to her for future visits... I hope you and Gus come out of this mess with vet unscathed. Both Grace and Gus is so lucky to have you as their mum
*hugs*
Curious_Ein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:45 PM   #40 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Thanks everyone

And Walter - i didn't read anything in a wrong way I knew you left out that word So no worries!

Gus is still resting.

I had to go help my sister tonight. My dad said he sat on the chair in the living room and cried quietly the whole time

His fever is down for now though. So I think that is good. He is limping a bit. But the vet today also messed with it which I know didn't help anything.

Our vet is calling again in the AM to check on him. She may have me take him into see the owner, since she is not there on Tuesdays.

I really just want it off But... like someone said earlier... not sure that can eb done while it is infected.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement