Ear infection??? - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious_Ein View Post
I don't know if this is relevant... but everytime I gave bath(four times so far) my Ein will scratch his ears like crazy- I noticed few days later after bath, he start to stink a bit around his ears.. I figured it was from water trapped in his little floppy ears, and called up my younger brother who has maltese for awhile. He told me that he uses Zynox ear solution followed up by lightly drying her ears after bath for his Mimi(his maltese's name) and never had ear infection...I got myself one without hydrocortisone(his has one with hydrocortisone), and after few days his smell from his ear went away and he does not scratch his ear. I don't know if yours is having ear troubles from bath.. but if it is, you can try it.. it works really well, and definitely saved me from going to see a vet!
I swear by Zymox. I prefer the formula with hydrocortisone.

ZYMOX Otic with Hydrocortisone (1.0%)
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

Does.Gucci's ear feel pretty warm, or have an odor? My Eerie had a few and he would scratch , his ear felt warm and had an odor.

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Was Gucci bathed at the groomer or by you? Was ear hair on removed on Thursday? Sometimes hair removal can irritate them if not removed correctly. Sammie had a sore red ear once, I never really found out why, and the Vet found no infection but he gave me the Zymox Marj recommended and it cleared it up. I use (Klear Otic) ear cleaner after each bath. I saturate a cotton ball and put in ear and rub gently at base of ear. The cleaner drys up water left in the ear. Good luck and hope your baby feels better soon.

SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Yeah I usually just take a good wiff.... if they have an odor, I know it is time to do something LOL

Poor Gucci... Do take her in... They may swab it... sometimes they are fungal infections, not bacterial.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

It sounds like an ear infection....yeast in the ears which is very common with fluffs that have ears that hang down. They scratch the ear and it has an odor....not pleasant. Water and moisture bullds from bathing. It's simple to cure and very common. Hope Gucci feels better.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci

I took Gucci to the vet yesterday. She said that she didn't see an infection, but there was a bit of redness. She cleaned her ears and gave me some drops to put in her ears twice a day for a week and said that should help. The vet said that she did yelp when she was cleaning out her ears, so I assume it is definitely her ear that is bothering her. I know it's silly, but every time I hold her, I am petrified of hurting her. She yelps SO loud and it sounds like I'm killing her.
Hopefully the drops help. -- The vet did tell me to buy something to put in her ears after baths, so I will get some Zymox ASAP.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianna82 View Post
I took Gucci to the vet yesterday. She said that she didn't see an infection, but there was a bit of redness. She cleaned her ears and gave me some drops to put in her ears twice a day for a week and said that should help. The vet said that she did yelp when she was cleaning out her ears, so I assume it is definitely her ear that is bothering her. I know it's silly, but every time I hold her, I am petrified of hurting her. She yelps SO loud and it sounds like I'm killing her.
Hopefully the drops help. -- The vet did tell me to buy something to put in her ears after baths, so I will get some Zymox ASAP.
glad the vet checked her out! I hope the drops help clear everything up
hoaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement