please dont forget Becky tomorrow we need lots of prayers - Page 12 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #111 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Glenda
Dog's Name: Madison, Axel and Paxton
Send a message via AIM to Madison's Mom

checking in on Becky.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #112 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I am soooo sorry to hear that Becky has Liver Shunt.

In terms of Breeder's liability of vet fees, varies states have different laws. For example, in state of CA, there is a law officially known as the Pet Breeder Warranty Act. It applies to cases in which the purchased dog gets sick due to an illness or disease that existed within 15 days of purchase. It also applies if problems arise in the first year after the sale because of a congenital or hereditary condition.

If you want to keep the dog, the law entitles you get your money back from the seller plus up to an additional 50% of the purchase price for veterinary costs.
The law also allows you to return the dog, like a piece of merchandise, and get a refund or a different dog of equivalent value. Still, you'd be entitled to reimbursement of "reasonable" veterinary costs.

If the dog dies, you are entitled to a refund of the purchase price or another dog of the same value, and veterinary expenses are covered up to 100% of the purchase price.

If you get your dog from a rescue group or non-commercial shelter, the law does not apply.
SweetMalteseAngels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #113 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

Checking in on Becky's appointment.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #114 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Good morning my friends,

well we met the surgeon yesterday she was quite nice she answered alot of my questions she acvs ( board certified) but they do not do many of them 4-5 a year because she told me not to many people operate because of the price and risk involved !! Becky is booked on January 8 for surgery im scared to death !!!!! i want to everything for Becky to live a long happy life but this surgery has many risks im exhausted cant sleep at night anymore worry and fear is not lettin me please my friends start a prayer group and pray for Becky to go theough her surgery on the 8 and have no complications , and live a life feeling hungry , happy , energised , everything a puppy should be because for the moment we cannot say Becky has had a quality life
aksm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #115 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

Ana, Becky is in my prayers, that everything goes smoothly and she DOES come home to you to live a long Happy healthy life!!

Furbabies mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #116 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Positive and prayful thoughts will be with you during this stressful time Ana that Becky will do just fine with her impending surgery on January 8. Please try to get some needed rest in the meantime.
Snuggle's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #117 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny

Anna- I know your scared. I am so sorry. Was there any word from Dr Center yet? I think you posted you were going to contact her office last week. I know you have limitations, but is there no way you could take her to university of Tennessee to get their opinion, as to if they recomend surgery or another protocol for little Becky. Did the surgeon say what kind of shunt Becky has, as there are different kinds.
xxxx

Last edited by SammieMom; 12-27-2012 at 09:04 AM.
SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #118 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Good morning Kandis ,

i have looked into tenesse from montreal its expensive and the flight is complicated 8 hours because i stop over 4 hours in washington and coming home with a dog after major liver surgery now in the winter scary snow storms can ground you for days ..... Dr. Center has not returned my e-mail , she has extr hepatic shunt i can manage her medically but soone or later she would need surgery liver would not function well its shunted , and the younger the better before more damage happens , they will use ameroid constrictor or cellophane band to close off the shunt slowly , but risks are there like seizures after surgery , ascites , bleeding in abdomen , Becky has been force fed by me for close to 4 months now tires very easy , lethargic, and she is on medical management and low protein diet , so i think her best shot at living a normal life is surgery the surgeon told me she would look over her ct scan and talk to radiologist internal medicine and call me today and tell me more or less what they think about Becky surgery the fact they have a ct scan help alot they see verything before going in ......her liver appeared good size and portal vein also so she has these 2 things on her side and the fact that she recovered quite nicely from anesthesia during her ct is also a plus .....I have to pray hard that everything will be ok and Becky can finally feel well ....
aksm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #119 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

As far as I know, Dr Center isn't in Tennessee, she's in upstate New York at Cornell (Ithaca, NY) not that far from Montreal.
Sending prayers for Becky. I know that some of the maltese rescues have had surgery done on liver shunt dogs so maybe someone from there will chime in to give you some more info about the surgery.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:37 AM   #120 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny

Anna-thank you for the detailed info. My Kirby had a different kind of shunt. He was seizing post neuter. I was hoping all the things about Becky's pointed to possibility of her being a candidate for non surgical treatments. That is what I was hoping for. Maybe the surgeon can contact Dr Center for her opinions on Becky since she doesn't see as many cases. I have read where she worked with Dr's when they could not come to her. Your there dealing with it all so you have to do what you can. The surgeon will not do anything she is not comfortable with. I will cont to pray for Becky.
xxxx

SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement