Getting nervous... - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kaitlin
Dog's Name: Sadie
Confused Getting nervous...

Hey everyone,

Sadie is getting spayed on Friday morning (I know, what kind of terrible Mommy gets their baby spayed right before Christmas!?) and I am getting SUPER nervous :-(

I know it is the best decision to make for her since I do not plan on breeding her and it will benefit her in the long run. I am just nervous because it's surgery and she has to be put under - to me that's a big deal! I am just SO worried that something will go wrong :-( She is my baby and I don't know what I would do if anything happened to her.

If anyone has any words of advice or encouragement, they would be much appreciated. As Friday draws closer, I am becoming more and more of a mess about this :-(

Also, any advice for keeping her happy and comfortable once we get home?
kaeco510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

It is very normal to be nervous. Your her Mommy and she loves you and depends on you. Is she staying over night at the vets office?? I would get a onsie for her so that she won't try to lick her stitches. But she will be okay once she is home.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Kaitlin,

It is so normal to be worried... if you weren't, we would be worried!

I know when Grace gets spayed in February I am going to be a wreck. But I also know I will be calm for her when she needs me.....

The best advice I can give you is to take some deep breaths... Hold her quietly in your lap and just breathe for a bit. Know in your heart that she will be okay

When you drop her off try to stay calm and wait until she is out of the room before you start crying..... Believe me that the vet staff has probably consoled multiple owners dropping their babies off for spay/neuter before...

I'd ask them to call you as soon as she is out of surgery and a little bit later. It helps to know how she is doing.

When you pick her up, make sure you talk to the vet and get all your questions answered BEFORE they bring her to you. The moment they do you won't hear much of anything...so if there are any instructions any questions you have - ask them before they bring her out.

I, personally, always get pain meds. I believe pets are just like people - they heal faster and better when their pain is managed. So I'd make sure they are sending her home with those.

At home... a onesie will be helpful. I need to get some for Grace. She is long... she fits a NB girth but will need a 0-3 month for length. You can pick up a pack at Walmart or something.

If she has a crate, make it cozy for her. She will probably be sleeping a lot in there.

An xpen would be helpful. Since she shouldn't run or jump around too much for a few days. You need to keep her in a smaller quiet area.

Others will chime in

Will be praying for Sadie on Friday....

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

We all get nervous when our dogs get spayed or neutered!! I had Violet and Laurel spayed at the same time, so I was doubly nervous! I was particularly nervous when Dewy got neutered a month ago ! I've had several dog's all of which were fixed, and they were all OK!!! Actually the hardest part for me was keeping them calm for a period of time after it was done. The dog's all acted like nothing was done to them !! It will be alright!!

Furbabies mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Denise
Dog's Name: Bennington

I sooo know what you are talking about!! I just took Benni in this morning to be neutered. I was trying to be calm...(as my husband was a nervous mess over it.... every time I said NEUTER my husband and son would both cringe )

I really have great trust and faith in my vet. I am sure you feel the same, or your baby would not be seeing that vet. I went shopping to keep my mind off of it (ended up buying benni new toys like he needs MORE) I was just getting worried when they called me to say Benni was up and doing great.

They are keeping him over night...which I didn't expect....maybe cause he is so small??....its been a long time sense I had a pet fixed so maybe I just forgot that they stay over night.

The onsie idea is great - do you cut a hole for the tail??
DeniseA. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Abby Harvey
Dog's Name: Daisy Grace, Zoey and Laci Jo
Default Spay Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaeco510 View Post
Hey everyone,

Sadie is getting spayed on Friday morning (I know, what kind of terrible Mommy gets their baby spayed right before Christmas!?) and I am getting SUPER nervous :-(

I know it is the best decision to make for her since I do not plan on breeding her and it will benefit her in the long run. I am just nervous because it's surgery and she has to be put under - to me that's a big deal! I am just SO worried that something will go wrong :-( She is my baby and I don't know what I would do if anything happened to her.

If anyone has any words of advice or encouragement, they would be much appreciated. As Friday draws closer, I am becoming more and more of a mess about this :-(

Also, any advice for keeping her happy and comfortable once we get home?

I can really relate to you and your fears. Daisy was 7 months old when I had her spayed. I was so nervous, that when I took her to the vet that morning, I handed her to the nurse and I went to the wainting room and sat down. I sat there for several minutes before the receptionist asked me if there was anything that I needed. I told her that I was going to wait for Daisy to come out of surgery and that I wanted to see her before I left. I then found out, that Daisy's surgery wasn't scheduled until 1:00p.m. It was then about 9:30 a.m. The receptionist informed the Dr. and they took Daisy in first. I waited until she came out of surgery and I got to see her before I left about 3 hours later. They could not have moved me out of my chair with a crow bar!! Now, when I call them about something, they make arrangements to see us pronto because they know that I mean business !!
Daisy's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

I don't blame you, I was very nervous too. It will be over before you know it.
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Bridget
Dog's Name: Lady Bella (and Katie & Lucky at The Bridge)

I was a bundle of nerves when Bella had her surgery too. It is totally natural to be concerned. Try to stay really busy that day and that will help you a bit. I remember that the Vet had wanted Bella to stay up front with them before her surgery (you know, as the official greeter for the a.m.), but the Diva was making so much noise they couldn't work lol! She's quieted down a bit since then, but not much .

"A weed is just a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Summergirl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: I'm Sammy: Piccolina, Bambolina and recently Girlie Dolcina are all playing in Heaven
Dog's Name: Poupetta (Poupe') born MAR 2005, Pallina Valentina born JAN 2012, & "Little Girl" born JUL 2009
Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina

Hi Kaitlin,

my fluff "Little Girl" was spayed 2 days ago and she came out of it in flying colors and she is only 3 1/2 lbs. She didn't even use the E. collar.

I think now-days they give the pets a less of a deep sedation so that when they wake up they are not so out of it.

When I picked up Little Girl, she was ready for a 5 minute walk to go potty and couple of hours later she had her dinner.

I was advised by a friend to feed her before and after the surgery: red meat slightly cooked with its own juices and a pinch of margarine. The meat will help replenish the blood in the body.

We will send the Angels to look after her while in surgery and during recovery.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shirley Ng
Dog's Name: Boo

Hey Kaitlin,

I'm neutering Boo on thurs, I'm going to be at the vet at 8am for blood test than if the results are ok they will neuter him. I'm very nervous too and extremely worried
jenna123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement