Paris has diarrhea and bleeding - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Damara
Dog's Name: Paris Beauty
Unhappy Paris has diarrhea and bleeding

since i brought her home, I found her stool is normal size but texture is sorta sticky...she's on royal canin puppy mini since that's what the breeder started her on. She's always struggled to poo, whining and sometimes cries while trying to push out the poop. I just stroke her and try to console her.

Monday, I noticed her bottom was smeared with poop, so happens she was scheduled to visit vet and they said she has a touch of diarrhea.
I told them about her stool being sticky but this vet said nothing on how to cure this (I did not like this lady at all, she kept answering all my dog ?'s with what she does with her 5 cats)

So this morning, Paris had a bit of poo stuck to her, I wash her off gently and when patting her dry, I noticed the blood. Seems like it's coming from her anus. She sat on me and blood was left behind. It eventually stopped.

She pooped 20 minutes later, same thing, messy bottom with blood.
I called her breeder but haven't heard from her yet. I called vet and spoke with the doctor that owns the place, and he thinks that the hair around her anus could be blocking her stool from coming out and that could be why she cries. So I will give her a trim later.
And he suggested that I give her a quarter of kaopectate 2/3 times a dya for a couple of days to see if that clears up diarrhea.

Anyone else experience something like this with their puppy?

damara23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

Has she been dewormed? Sometimes puppies will get loose stools with blood if there are parasites.

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

I normally wouldn't get too concerned except in a very young puppy like Paris. Is she drinking a normal amount of water? Does she have a temp?
I have had puppies who had soft poop and then tried to rub it off. Twice a puppy had the poo dry hard and blocked the opening. I saw the poor thing straining, examined it and quickly had to hold him in warm water until it dissolved. Poor baby.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

she doesnt have fever, she is drinking water like normal, her behavior is normal and playful, she just struggles to poo. she's been to vet twice, once for wellness checkup then recently for set of shots. both times they did a feces check.

Sometimes she'll have a bit of dried poo but it's not blocking her to let the stool come out. I wash her butt in morning and before bedtime, if needed, but through out the day I'm cleaning her bottom with a cotton ball water/peroxide mix after she goes.

I'll even dab her tush with a dry cotton ball or toilet paper to absorb the liquid before she scoots all over the carpet.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

I am sorry Paris is going through this. I would be a bit concerned is she is constantly straing and crying out when she poops. Now she has developed blood in the stool. I would take her to a different vet since you were not pleased with the first one and get a second opinion. If you give her Kaopectate it will stop the diarrhea but you still aren't getting to the root of the problem. Maybe you should also consider changing her food as there are so many to choose from. Hope she feels better and please keep us posted.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Um.... I'd be finding another vet.

Any puppy that young I'm shocked that your vet didn't ask to see her TODAY.

Blood in stool.... yes it could be hair, but it could also be parasites or worms or many other possible infections.

Please take her in, get a stool sample done and have her looked at.

She is too young to risk it.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

A little bit of pumpkin might help. I would also consider transitioning her to a different food. MiMi's breeder had her on Royal Canin puppy also, but has since changed to Fromm. I didn't stay with the RC very long, but I honestly don't remember why.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Daisy, Maxwell, and Henry, (and Buddy and Bunnie too), Grendel, Molly and Bunny in heaven

Poor little Paris. It guess it could be the food, but I would be really worried too. She should not be in pain.
Pain is not normal at all, and blood in poop is really scary.
I would be worried about parvo, or an anal gland problem.
Is there any chance she ate something sharp, like a bone fragment?
Is there a different vet you can take her too?
Her fur would have to be very matted for it to be causing pain, and I am sure it isn't since you are cleaning her so much.
I always think it is better to take them to the vet and be safe, even if it turns out to be nothing serious. Better to check it out. It is so important to take her to a vet you like and have confidence in.

Daisy and Max and Henry
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Jackie
Dog's Name: Pippa and Cozette. Dolly and Tiffany are angels at the Bridge

I'd be finding a different veterinarian as soon as possible. The sticky poo could have many causes-- what color is it? The food Paris is on can definitely affect her GI tract, so transitioning her to something else may help, but the first step would be finding a good veterinarian. Ask around, check online and read peoples' comments, etc. This is totally not normal and needs to be addressed.

I'll mention that I wouldn't be a fan of using even diluted peroxide on her bottom. Use diluted dog shampoo and rinse thoroughly with water, or you can use an unscented wipe meant for dogs or babies, or a waterless shampoo (Biogroom makes a great one).

socalyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

this morning, when i mentioned the straining ,Vet receptionist said that i should try 1 ML of mineral oil to see if she'll go easier. she asked if i wanted to come in or have the dr. call me. i asked for the dr. to call me first. that way i can explain to him everything.. then he suggested kaopectate to see how she does. if it still continues, bring her in immediately.
She's happy and normal otherwise, worm free too. I trust his opinion, just hated the lady dr. that I had the other day, she didn't know what she was talking about. Matter of fact, she was the one that said Paris "looks" to have a touch of diarrhea.

to me, seems like the blood is coming from Paris's staring more so than in her stool. her anus bleeds a lil right after she poops, i saved a couple of stool samples, i looked at them and smashed a peice in toilet paper and there's no blood visible.

Breeder thinks it's Coccidia, still stress from change of households. Before I brought her home, breeder did warn me that she may get Coccidia.

one more thing, i started changing her kibble today but she had the messy bottom before i fed her so i know its not that

Sponsored Links
Advertisement