Timid and Stuborn male Maltese - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Timid and Stuborn male Maltese

I have been a Maltese breeder for about 10 years now and absolutely am in love with the breed as I have bred other types of dogs in the past. I consider myself to be a responsible breeder always feeding my dogs and puppies all natural food like Blue Buffalo. My dames are always vet checked along with their puppies. I never inbreed my dogs to make them smaller and I always raise the puppies in my home as if I would keep every one of them. They are always well socialized and I begin housebreaking with puppy pads and taking them outside routinely throughout the day. They have their own small room to den in as well. So I always feel like I'm selling well rounded and healthy puppies until just recently.
I have a friend I sold a male Maltese to about a year ago. Which would make him about 18 months old. My friend contacted me saying that he cannot house break him, he won't come to any one when called. He runs off when he gets outside and is scared to death when held. He is extremely timid and shy. He is also in a home with 3 cats that he has grown up with. My friend claims the dog acts more like a cat than a dog. I recommended having him neutered to help with house breaking and running off and to make sure he has his own kennel for security and not allow just free reign to mark up the house. I also suggested positive reenforcement with treats, and he said he doesn't like them! He is 5 lbs which is on the small end of Maltese size but not extreme. I'm at a loss at how else to help him bond better with his dog. When I still had the puppy he was very playful and loving and even his sibling is doing very well. I get reports all the time about him at how much they love him and how smart he is.
Short of sending the Maltese to obedience training is their anything else I can suggest they try? It sounds to me like someone has mistreated him or maybe the cats have bullied him but my friend swears that hasn't happened to the best of his knowledge. This is the first time I've ever had anyone dissatisfied with one of my dogs and I really want him to experience the joys of owning a Maltese. Please help!
Lwccuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

While reading your post I sensed that this puppy was very afraid of his environment or people he is living with. I am being honest and simpy would not trust his living situation. There isn't much that you can do accept take the dog back and train him yourself. If it were me I would do that. Good luck!!
Old 12-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

It sounds like the environment, not the dog, that is the problem. I'd be worried that the dog was not being treated right. Maybe you could visit and get an idea of what is going on? I would!!

Furbabies mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stacy
Dog's Name: Lucy, Lois, Cookie and Steve
Send a message via Yahoo to bellaratamaltese

So if my math is right, the dog was 6 months old when you sold him? how was he when he was with you?

bellaratamaltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nancy Wyant
Dog's Name: Mia
Heart

I've had Mia a week and she is already bonded to me. Follows me all over, wants to be held and loves my husband too. I can't understand why the dog would run from people who are supposed to love him. And what Maltese doesn't like treats?
nwyant1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement