Which is Stinkier??? - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Gail
Dog's Name: Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieB View Post
Oh, those bully sticks are nasty. I can only imagine how bad they smell closed up in a car! I have to take Steve to the vet regularly to have his glands expressed. I think they do it differently than the groomer where they stick their finger in their butt vs groomers usually do externally. I'm assuming it's more effective. They told me in the beginning to bring him every 4 weeks but I've been stretching it out as he seems to be ok. I switched him to grain inclusive Fromm and his poops are much firmer now which may be helping him express them himself. Yuck, sorry for all the poop talk. But to your point, that anal gland smell is nasty too! I don't know which is worse!

Celeta--when I take her back for her 2 week recheck I'm going to inquire about just bringing her in monthly. Her stools are actually very firm (more poop talk) so I would think the glands would express themselves. Lucy's on duck or rabbit and potato and anything else gives her loose stools. I'm thinking of trying to add a little pumpkin to bulk up her stool, maybe that will help a little. Her poops are firm but small so maybe a bigger one will help. Amazing how important poop is to a dog owner. I used to say my entire life revolved around my dogs' elimination patterns...
LoveLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Abby Harvey
Dog's Name: Daisy Grace, Zoey and Laci Jo

I always thought that the Nylabones were too hard for little furbaby teeth. IAre there any certain ones that I should get?
Daisy's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy's Mommie View Post
I always thought that the Nylabones were too hard for little furbaby teeth. IAre there any certain ones that I should get?
Really? I had never heard that, which is why I give them to Lucy. I'm pretty sure, however, that she isn't pure Maltese. She weighs about 9.5 pounds. She just chews on the regular Nylabones--not the softer edible ones. These are the ones that are made of pretty hard material (some kind of plastic?). She chews on it, but in the almost a year that I've had her has never managed to splinter or get any pieces off of it. There are just chew marks on it. She still loves to chew even though she's about 4 years old, and I hate to give her things that she can actually eat and swallow because of her digestive issues. I never leave her alone with the antlers, because I know those can splinter. I had no idea that nylabones are bad for them, since they don't really consume any of it, and they can't splinter as far as I can see?....I do leave a nylabone in her xpen when I'm away. Maybe I need to rethink that?
Old 01-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Abby Harvey
Dog's Name: Daisy Grace, Zoey and Laci Jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLucy View Post
Really? I had never heard that, which is why I give them to Lucy. I'm pretty sure, however, that she isn't pure Maltese. She weighs about 9.5 pounds. She just chews on the regular Nylabones--not the softer edible ones. These are the ones that are made of pretty hard material (some kind of plastic?). She chews on it, but in the almost a year that I've had her has never managed to splinter or get any pieces off of it. There are just chew marks on it. She still loves to chew even though she's about 4 years old, and I hate to give her things that she can actually eat and swallow because of her digestive issues. I never leave her alone with the antlers, because I know those can splinter. I had no idea that nylabones are bad for them, since they don't really consume any of it, and they can't splinter as far as I can see?....I do leave a nylabone in her xpen when I'm away. Maybe I need to rethink that?
I don't remember where I heard it or read it. I just thought that their teeth were fragile and the nylabones are so hard--I was afraid of having a toothless furbaby. Since I've never given her one, I might just swing by PetsMart and get her one--well, I'll have to get 3 since I have 3 aborable furchildren! They still don't kike to share!! Gosh, it's cold today. I wish I was at home with my furbaby snuggled on my lap and the fireplace going..
Daisy's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Well my other dogs never even liked them. They took one sniff, figured out that it wasn't really edible and moved on. Lucy just LOVES to chew. She does chew them with her back teeth, but I haven't noticed any problems. Like I said, she is bigger than the average Malt, at 9.5 pounds....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement