Which is Stinkier??? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Gail
Dog's Name: Lucy
Default Which is Stinkier???

I just brought Lucy home from the Vet. She has been licking her bottom incessently for over a month. On Nov. 22, the vet expressed her anal glands, and on Dec. 15, the groomer did so again. She still licks and even scoots a little, so back to the vet. Anal gland infection--yuck. So she had them expressed, plus he put some antibiotic oinment into the gland, gave me prescriptions, and hopefully at the recheck in 2 weeks all will be well.

BUT...to my topic. Lucy has a relatively new car seat and the only time she ever gets a bully stick is in her car seat (my amazingly sucessful attempt to make her LOVE her car seat). So on the way home the smell in the car was unbearable. But I couldn't decide which smelled worse--that nasty bully stick, or Lucy's nasty recently expressed bottom.

Her bottom has been nicely washed now and the bully stick is back in the garage with the car seat. What a relief for my poor nose!
LoveLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

Yes those bully sticks are stinky, but mine love them!!! I've been buying the low odor ones, not quite as bad. She probably wants to go bye bye all the time, so she can have her bully!

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

There are odor free bully sticks out there, you might try a google search I know one of our local pet shops sells them. I did have to toss the first ones out after Rocky smelled like funk. For the longest time I had no idea what was causing it I haven't bought any since, even the stink free ones.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Cindy
Dog's Name: Zoey

i just bought some odor free ones from Bully Sticks - All Natural Value Dog Treats - Best Bully Stick i cant wait for them to come in as Zoey is teething and CHEWING on everything. But omg the none odor free really really stink then of course so does their breath... Hubby cant figure out why they like them so much.
dragonsdawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

I buy either bladder sticks or vanilla cow ears - no odor.

6" Inch Bladder Sticks | Dog Chews & Treats

Knine Kountry
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Well, I think I will get some of the odor free ones, but I think I'll just keep them for special occasions. I might bust one out for thunderstorms and fireworks to see if that distracts her. That and the car seat for now. In the house Lucy has Nylabones (she's the first dog I've ever met who actually chews on those things), and deer antlers--she loves those. I have to keep SOMETHING for special occasions only.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysmom View Post
I buy either bladder sticks or vanilla cow ears - no odor.

6" Inch Bladder Sticks | Dog Chews & Treats

Knine Kountry
I'll check those out! Thanks. I tried the Merrick flossies first, but I was shocked and how fast she went through that. I got her one of those braided bully sticks in an attempt to make it last longer....
Old 01-03-2013, 12:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Celeta
Dog's Name: Steve (a rescue)

Oh, those bully sticks are nasty. I can only imagine how bad they smell closed up in a car! I have to take Steve to the vet regularly to have his glands expressed. I think they do it differently than the groomer where they stick their finger in their butt vs groomers usually do externally. I'm assuming it's more effective. They told me in the beginning to bring him every 4 weeks but I've been stretching it out as he seems to be ok. I switched him to grain inclusive Fromm and his poops are much firmer now which may be helping him express them himself. Yuck, sorry for all the poop talk. But to your point, that anal gland smell is nasty too! I don't know which is worse!

StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janene
Dog's Name: Babinka (06/09/14 Rainbow Bridge) Peppino and Tiny Tina

LOL! Poor you!!! LOL I dont give mine the bully sticks but we have the dried salmon sticks which has a smell of its own................!!!! LOL! I remember a couple of time when driving and they let out a fart OHHHHH MYYYYYY LOL!!!! I was actually dry heaving, and had to pull over the car! LOL!!!!
maltese manica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #10 (permalink)

Name: jeri
Dog's Name: doobie
Send a message via MSN to doobie mommy

I ordered these... Bully Sticks - All Natural Value Dog Treats - Best Bully Stick

They have the stinkiest bully sticks ever and I have tried 4 kinds. I think they may have sent the wrong ones, not odor free and they should have a WARNING ! Because....your dog and carpet or whatever they touch needs cleaned after the dogs chew on them. I had to wash Doobie twice...so gross

This company also removes any NEG reviews that customers leave. They told me to put them ouside for a couple of days or to ship the ones I had purchased back, my cost... and will send me others, my shipping cost again. Total of 3 shipping charges to have them replaced. I DO NOT recommend this company.

I would love to find true odor free !

Ever wonder where you'd end up if you took your dog for a walk and never once pulled back on the leash ? Robert Brault
doobie mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement