Puppy shots!! - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
Poor little Thor. I hope he is better soon. A little muscle soreness is one thing, but it sounds like he really is in pain if he won't let you touch him. It must be so hard to see him uncomfortable and not be able to snuggle with him.
DHLPP is a combo shot containing 6 or 7 shots given at once.
A lot of little dogs have reactions to them because their immune systems get overwhelmed.
I wish vets wouldn't give them. They include a vaccine for lepto, which is a non-core vaccine that a lot of dogs have reactions to and many dogs don't really need, depending on where you live.
Here is a really good site if you want to read about the recommendations for vaccines for small dogs. Jan Rasmusen is an advocate for small dogs, and provides a lot of great information about the dangers of over-vaccination.
Combo Shots for Dogs: A Dangerous Convenience | Truth4Dogs
Thanks I'm a physician assistant so I know human medicine lol! i was reading a little about the shots and they were going to give his rabies too today and I freaked. Pretty sure the vet thinks I'm crazy! So we just did the one!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Meilerca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shirley Ng
Dog's Name: Boo

Boo had his last shot in Sept and he wasn't in pain after, he just whined a little bit at the moment and that was it
jenna123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci

That sounds completely wrong. I know I am not an expert on this, as I just got my first puppy a few months ago, but after a lot of research and a lot of help from SM friends, I learned a lot about how delicate our babies are. I followed this shot schedule: Vaccination Schedule Recommendations For Dogs and (knock on wood) have had NO problems with Gucci. I was fortunate that my vet didn't try to give me shots that she didn't need, although because of NC state law, they DID try to do her rabies vaccine with her 16 week shots, but I told them I wanted to wait until 24 weeks and they were fine with it.
I can tell you, that had I NOT looked into these things and had good advice, I probably wouldn't have known anything and could have been completely taken advantage of by a vet. I don't mean to sound critical, but you are the only one that will care for your baby, so you really have to know this stuff on your own. This vaccination schedule seems to be the most popular among SM'ers, and many have a great deal of info on it, so it might be the best one to follow, or at least look into.
He really shouldn't be in pain from shots and I imagine it's because they are over-vaccinating him. Poor baby. I hope he feels better soon. Give him an extra treat tonight
Old 01-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Daisy, Maxwell, and Henry, (and Buddy and Bunnie too), Grendel, Molly and Bunny in heaven

Wow! That is great that you are a physician assistant. I am sure you know much more about vaccinations, human and doggie, than I do
I am so glad Thor didn't have the rabies vaccine too. It is definitely supposed to be given separately, and as late (age wise) as possible.
I have found that we often have to be advocates for our little ones. Many vets still give combo shots, and annual shots, and the dosages for Maltese are the same as for Great Danes so it is much more dangerous for them. So we have to do the research ourselves and decide what we want, rather than just trusting in the vet, as sad as that sounds.
I still have to keep telling my vet that we don't need an annual rabies vaccine when we have had a three year vaccine. They seem to think that extra won't hurt.
Another good resource if you want to read more is Dr. Jean Dodds, who advocates for minimal vaccines. Here is her website:
Dr-Dodds-ChangingVaccProtocol

Daisy and Max and Henry
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

I will add my two cents.... Most people here who have followed Grace's story know how I feel about vaccines now

Just to let you know - most vets (seriously majority of them) will tell you anything your puppy experiences after a shot is "normal" and "just fine". That is - unless they have a serious allergic reaction.

But for a puppy to be in that much pain after a booster - not normal, just as the others have said.

I hope in the future you space the shot out. The one he got is really 5 vaccines rolled into one.

If he didn't have htis problem before, I'd think maybe the vet hit a nerve.

I know when they do booster in the hip for people there is a risk of hitting a nerve and if you do - OUCH! And it takes much longer for pain to subside and moving or touching hurts.

So maybe your little guy got a nerve hit with the needle

Watch him...and I'd space the Rabies out by 4 weeks.

Hope he feels better soon.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Ashley
Dog's Name: Sophie

Sophie did great with all her vaccines, she didnt have any reactions. I opted out on both optional vaccines because I heard of the high risk of reactions to them, we had each booster set 3 weeks apart and even though she was 16 weeks with one booster left we decided to go ahead with it since she's so small. She did great, we did the rabies separately and I watched her like a hawk, but she still didn't have any reactions. She didn't have any soreness or pain, in fact she was right back to her normal playful self right after, she even had a bath on most of those days. I'm sure I'm one of the lucky ones

AshleyAndSophiePup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

I do hope Thor is feeling better. Honestly, it doesn't sound right that he is in that much pain. I am glad you told them not to administer the Rabies shot today. I know that vets will say no its normal but it doesn't sound that way to me. I would keep a close eye on him and if he is the same tomorrow I definately would be making a call or bringing him back to the vet. Hope he feels better!
Old 01-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I have this debate almost daily with my patients and if the CDC vaccination schedule is too much for children! Thor is acting normal just sore and when he hits that area he whines! Does anyone know if their is a veterinary governing body who determines which vaccines should be given? Kinda like the CDC ? Or does it vary by opinion. Just curious. I know in practice we follow a schedule set of vaccinations for children and but is it like that for our fur babies?

Old 01-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Puppy shots!!-imageuploadedbypg-free1357258176.027706.jpg

Old 01-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #20 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Just like with skin kids - it is up to the parent for the most part.

My sister does a modified vaccine schedule with my nephews. They get their vaccines 1, at most 2, at a time and spaced out 4-6 weeks. The ones with known longer reactions (Hep. vacs) she spaces farther.

With fluffs.... Usually the rabies is the only mandated one. My vet will do the 3 year on Grace and she will be giving a smaller dose of the vaccine. So she will only need that vaccine every 3 years.

The others Grace will have a titer test done, and if she needs a vaccine she will get them - one at a time, spaced out.

For puppies - Honestly if I could do it over again, I would have set up a plan with our vet to have separate vaccines (no 5 ways) spaced by 3-4 weeks. It means more vet trips and pokes, but it is safer.

We have had just as many vet trips to manage the issues of the vaccine injury as it is

Since he is still yelping a bit.... I bet it hit a nerve.

For his next vaccine - ask them to do the other side.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement