Puppy shots!! - Page 3 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #21 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Oh -- and how old is he?

Did he only get the Distemper parvo vac? Or a bordetella? Ugh...paranoid about that vaccine

Watch his leg (the vaccine site) - for any redness, swelling or anything.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #22 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace'sMom View Post
Oh -- and how old is he?

Did he only get the Distemper parvo vac? Or a bordetella? Ugh...paranoid about that vaccine

Watch his leg (the vaccine site) - for any redness, swelling or anything.
He is 14 weeks old!! He had distemper, adenovirus, parainfluenza, parvo , leptospirosis. No bordetella

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Meilerca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #23 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meilerca View Post
I have this debate almost daily with my patients and if the CDC vaccination schedule is too much for children! Thor is acting normal just sore and when he hits that area he whines! Does anyone know if their is a veterinary governing body who determines which vaccines should be given? Kinda like the CDC ? Or does it vary by opinion. Just curious. I know in practice we follow a schedule set of vaccinations for children and but is it like that for our fur babies?

Hi hi! I am a Pediatrician so I can totally relate to you regarding human vaccines. For canine vaccines, the schedule posted earlier by Dr. Jean Dodds IS the foremost schedule that has been adopted by all of the US Veterinary Schools. She is considered a leading expert on vaccines. There is no governing body, per se, like the CDC but I think that all the US Vet schools adopting this schedule says high remarks of it.

I would definitely avoid the Leptospirosis vaccine in the future and other non-essential vaccines. It doesn't mattter if your vet thinks you're crazy-- You MAY know more than he or she in terms of current management. Many vets don't even know that mercury free vaccines even exist!

I'm sure you are like me- focused on evidence-based medicine. The evidence has shown that canines are being over-vaccinated!

Last edited by hoaloha; 01-03-2013 at 10:08 PM.
hoaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:12 PM   #24 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoaloha View Post
Hi hi! I am a Pediatrician so I can totally relate to you regarding human vaccines. For canine vaccines, the schedule posted earlier by Dr. Jean Dodds IS the foremost schedule that has been adopted by all of the US Veterinary Schools. She is considered a leading expert on vaccines. There is no governing body, per se, like the CDC but I think that all the US Vet schools adopting this schedule says high remarks of it.

I would definitely avoid the Leptospirosis vaccine in the future and other non-essential vaccines. It doesn't mattter if your vet thinks you're crazy-- You MAY know more than he or she in terms of current management. Many vets don't even know that mercury free vaccines even exist!

I'm sure you are like me- focused on evidence-based medicine. The evidence has shown that canines are being over-vaccinated!
I agree 100% Marissa. I asked my vet about that Mercury free vaccine and he thought I was crazy. He is pretty knowledgeable and teaches in his field but had no idea. He asked where I got the info from because he thought it was from some crazy site.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #25 (permalink)

Name: Chris
Dog's Name: Mia

This is making me very nervous. Mia has an appointment tomorrow for shots

<3Mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #26 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoaloha View Post

Thanks so much!! I have been researching all evening I won't do the leptospirosis anymore! He needs his rabies but we are waiting 4 weeks! I'm newly married and he is our baby!! Now I know how parents feel at times! My husband does not understand! He says I worry too much!! Ohh well such is life!

Old 01-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #27 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

My first Maltese, Holly, would always be miserable after shots. We learned with her to always either give a dose of children's liquid Benadryl (ask your vet for dosage) right before leaving for the appt. to get her shots, and then another dose later in the day after the shots; or have the vet give a shot of Benadryl 20 min. before giving the vaccines. We also always separated the shots a week or two apart, never giving rabies at the same time as other vaccines.

When Ivy had to go in for her rabies shot (given solo), my vet gave her a shot of Benadryl first, we waited 20 minutes, then he gave her the rabies shot. She had zero reaction to it, was not sore, and bounced around playing normally. I highly recommend trying Benadryl and giving fewer vaccines at one time for your pup since you know he was miserable after the combo vaccines. We have horses and I don't even give our 1200 lb. horses the combo vaccines. I spread out their shots 1 week apart or they too feel crummy for a couple days, so you can imagine how miserable 4 lb. Maltese must feel, poor little fluffs!

I asked a vet once why they don't routinely spread out the vaccines to avoid reactions, particularly with little bitty dogs, and he said it was because too many people don't come back for the rest of the vaccinations and the dogs go unprotected. He said it was better for him to get them completely vaccinated while they are there, rather than put the dog at risk of an owner not returning. I understand his point. Not all doggie mommies and daddies are as conscientious as those here.
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #28 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

My vet said he would give Ivy a lepto if I wanted her to have it but that he would not recommend it, and if she were his dog he wouldn't give it to her. And that's from a wonderful 60-something year old vet with decades of experience behind him. He said he has always been leary of the lepto vaccine and actually lost a mini dachshund not too long ago who had a bad reaction to it. He said nothing they could do could save it. Needless to say, we did not give lepto to Ivy. Tooooo scary.
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #29 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Daisy, Maxwell, and Henry, (and Buddy and Bunnie too), Grendel, Molly and Bunny in heaven

Just checking in on little Thor.
How is he doing today? I hope he is better.

Daisy and Max and Henry
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #30 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Thor is fantastic completely normal and active!! Ugh I love him to pieces and soo relieved you guys are soo sweet and caring!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement