Leila's home but I have a question - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Glenda
Dog's Name: Madison, Axel and Paxton
Send a message via AIM to Madison's Mom

All three of mine had baby teeth extracted during their spay/neuter surgery. I don't think there were any stitches.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Glad Leila is home and made it through the spay

"Retained teeth" - there is almost always a baby tooth on top of or behind an adult tooth (so 2 teeth in the same spot).

If there is no tooth there - I would definitely be calling. When she is feeling better, I'd get an xray done.

Sometimes their teeth (even adult ones) are small and so no - the vet would not necessarily know unless they did an xray to confirm it was in fact a baby tooth with an adult one above it. So do call them.

Usually in the case like Leila's where a tooth has not come down (so there aren't 2 teeth in the same place) they wait to pull them because some dogs (rare but happens) only get the one set in a certain spot.....

Hoping they didn't pull her only teeth..... But I agree it's odd that there are sutures there. Usually they just pull them and it's a little sore (like when they fall out) but heals quick.

Hugs for Leila

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

My vet told me there might be sutures if the puppy tooth was still very, very deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Sutures are odd since baby teeth don't really have significant roots. Usually baby teeth can be easily popped out while they are under for the spay.

How old is Leila? Maybe her baby teeth weren't really retained yet, but the vet decided to remove them while she was under. Since the upper canines are notoriously a problem to lose in toy breeds, that may explain it if that is where the sutures are.

I would definitely call and check.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

She will be 6 months on the 8th of this month. After looking at some pics on the Internet tonight, maybe she did have two sets of canines up top, one in front of the other, and I didn't know it was only supposed to be one on each side. I was going to look, but now that she's awake again, she's in a foul mood. So I'm going to leave her alone for tonight where that's concerned. I was finally able to get her to drink a little water and eat some moistened kibble (amount vet said). So, that at least makes me feel better.

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila'sMommy View Post
She will be 6 months on the 8th of this month. After looking at some pics on the Internet tonight, maybe she did have two sets of canines up top, one in front of the other, and I didn't know it was only supposed to be one on each side. I was going to look, but now that she's awake again, she's in a foul mood. So I'm going to leave her alone for tonight where that's concerned. I was finally able to get her to drink a little water and eat some moistened kibble (amount vet said). So, that at least makes me feel better.

I bet your vet just removed them while she was under for the spay rather than waiting to see if they fell out on their own.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

Whew! Leila let me look in her mouth a little bit just now and it does appear that she does have her adult canines. Thank goodness! I was really worried! They just aren't as big as the ones he pulled and I hadn't noticed they were all that much bigger than her front teeth. I guess they just haven't come down all the way. But they are definitely shaped like canines from what I can tell.

She is doing really well so far. I was worried that she wasn't going to eat or drink at first, but last night before bed, she finally did. She's peed really well this morning, but still hasn't pooped. She's even wearing the collar without fighting it. So far, lol. I put her on the floor this morning to try to let her walk around but she immediately ran and jumped up on the couch. So, I've gotta be extra careful letting her out of her pen. Any tips on keeping them calm these first few days?

Oh, and she just loves her Fromm's soaked in water, making it moist!!

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Pam,

I'm so glad that Leila has teeth! LOL Seriously...

To keep her calm... Honestly your "best friend" right now will be the xpen and the stroller.

Gus had complications and his sutures took about 2 months to heal. A sling was my best friend. I had to carry him so he'd stay quiet (he was tiny then ).....

So really just keep her confined and with you when you are home.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement