The scariest moment of my life. - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

Name: Amanda
Dog's Name: Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoaloha View Post
Oh, that is frightening! I think no more Benadryl for Mickey is the way to go! I'm so glad he's back to his normal self
Yes! No more and Thank you
PrinceMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbabies mom View Post
That was a frightening experience. What will the vet pre treat Mickey with for his shots now, or will he wait until after the shot to see if he has a reaction? I'm glad that he's back to himself now.
He said he will give him a steroid? We are worried because its his first time getting that.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila'sMommy View Post
That is very scary! I agree, Benadryl causes drowsiness but not that fast. I wonder if they accidently gave him a dose that was too large for him or accidently gave him another drug altogether. I hope not though. In any case, if he's never had a reaction to vaccines before, I would give them next time without Benadryl.
Yes, that is what the vet said, it was so fast.
Mickey did have reaction to the vaccines, he wouldn't let any of us hold him and he won't sleep, he just stands, he won't sit and his face was swollen, that is why we decided to give him Benadryl first, He never had problems with Benadryl, yesterday was the first time having problems.
It was so scary.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:35 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchkn8835 View Post
The vet didn't by chance give too much?
The vet told us that he gave him the same dosage as last year.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysmom View Post
Mickey is nine years old, right? I wouldn't do any more vaccines as he probably had immunity for many, many years. Rabies is the only vaccine by law that dogs have to have and Mickey may qualify for a medical exemption depending on your state.

Over-Vaccination - Dog Owners Beware - Whole Dog Journal Article

Help Stop Vaccine-Induced Illness in Dogs and Cats | Truth4Dogs
Yes, Mickey is nine years old, How did you know that?
But will he be okay without the other vaccines? I will search it online and ask the vet. Thank you for the information.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:41 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gongjoo View Post
Omg, just reading this made my heart race! I'm so sorry you had to go through that! I'm glad to hear he is better. What a trooper!!!
Thank you so much. We were really scared that something bad might happen to Mickey. I don't even want to think about yesterday.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

I totally agree with Marj. I would not be giving him any other vaccine than the rabies that's mandated. If he reacted that way to Benedryl who knows how he'll react to a vaccine. I too wonder whether someone screwed up the dosing or the drug. Also his immune system may have taken a hit from this reaction so it's compromised. The last thing he needs is to get the vaccines in a system that's been compromised. I'm not a fan of pre-medicating. Have written on SM about it before, because of having a lot of knowledge about human anaphylactic reactions. At that age I would not do the other vaccines -- you could try to get titers done. They will show how much immunity is still in the dog's system. It's just a blood draw. You had a very scary experience. You don't need another one.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe's Mom88 View Post
I agree with Marj....if Mickey is 9 years old I wouldn't do those vaccines either. That was very scary to go through I am sure and I would not chance anything else happening to him. Good luck if you do decide to vaccinate him. Please keep us posted.
Oh yes, very scary. The scariest day of my life. I think Mickey was scared of what he went through, today he wants every one of us to follow him everywhere he goes. My family is so glad that he is doing better today.
Thank You
Old 01-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbody View Post
I totally agree with Marj. I would not be giving him any other vaccine than the rabies that's mandated. If he reacted that way to Benedryl who knows how he'll react to a vaccine. I too wonder whether someone screwed up the dosing or the drug. Also his immune system may have taken a hit from this reaction so it's compromised. The last thing he needs is to get the vaccines in a system that's been compromised. I'm not a fan of pre-medicating. Have written on SM about it before, because of having a lot of knowledge about human anaphylactic reactions. At that age I would not do the other vaccines -- you could try to get titers done. They will show how much immunity is still in the dog's system. It's just a blood draw. You had a very scary experience. You don't need another one.
Yes, My family and I are worried to go back for his vaccines, like what you said, we don't need another scary experience. Thank you for the information, I will talk with the vet, but I think he recommends getting the vaccines.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #20 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: April
Dog's Name: Rose, Lily, & Eva

Vets make money from vaccines...of course they want to give them! Please do not give Mickey any more shots..one of my Malts had a severe reaction to vaccines and she is not getting any more shots, ever. Rabies can be given every 3 years, and some states have exemptions from rabies for unhealthy animals..