The scariest moment of my life. - Page 3 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #21 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Robin
Dog's Name: Phoebe Trixibell (adopted) and Griffin (Bonnie's Angel)

Oh Amanda, how scary! I'm sorry you and Mickey had to go through that. I agree with the others about the vaccines. Please give him a hug and kiss from his SM Aunties.

I would hate to live in a world without dogs, glass, or wine...
MoonDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #22 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

I'm glad he is okay ....

In all honesty, unless you knew the dose he got before, and looked at the syringe before they injected it to see it was the same dose...there isn't a way of really knowing if it was the proper one. But that is my paranoia speaking. Sadly since Grace's accident I have to see everything that they give my dogs before it happens. Luckily my current vets understand this and are happy to do this.

I agree with Marj. After all those years of shots he will be okay. You can have titers done if you are worried.

But other people are also right: Your vet will most likely tell you he needs the vaccines.

I'm lucky that I found a good holistic vet who isn't in it for the money (sadly the vaccines, office meds, and office foods, etc do give money to the vets so they push them).

My two will only get the 3 year rabies every 3 years. And the others will be titer tested and only given when necessary, and when they are given they will be done as separate injections spaced 3-4 weeks.

the links Marj gave you are good ones

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #23 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

So happy Mickey is feeling better....hugs to you both!!
Old 01-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #24 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

I would also be suspicious of the amount of Benadryl given. It's odd to have a reaction to an appropriate dose of Benadryl, a medicine given to stop reactions. Your fluff's reaction sounds like an overdose though I guess Mickey could be one of the few allergic to it. But unfortunately, medicine mistakes do happen both in veterinary medicine and people medicine. Vets and vet assistants are human like the rest of us.

When Holly got old, our vet said the risk from vaccines for her was now greater than the benefit and if she were his dog, he wouldn't give her any more. Plus, she was well protected from a lifetime of vaccines. I was quite happy to stop giving them to her and she was quite happy not to get them anymore! Check and see what your vet says about no more vaccines for your fluff.

GRACE'S MOM - I am new here; what "accident" happened with your Grace? I've been reading reading reading around here trying to learn all I can from others' experiences, but don't remember seeing a thread about your Grace. Do you have a link to it so I can catch up with what happened? Thanks.
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #25 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Reva
Dog's Name: Bogie and Cassie
Send a message via Yahoo to revakb2

I'm another one that does not believe in giving vaccines every year. Until this past year I had Bogie titer tested. I am not going to do that anymore either, since he is over 8 years old and I feel there would be no benefit to vaccines now. He also has had severe reactions to vaccines so I don't believe the possible benefit is worth the risk.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #26 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

That was very scary. Glad you were at the vet so he could see the reaction. Benadryl makes Rylee hyper. Have you thought of doing a titer test to see if he does not really need to be vacinated? Rylee only gets rabies because it is the law. She had the complete set of puppy shots and did not need to be vacinated, after that.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #27 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Walter
Dog's Name: Lucky

I am glad he is ok, what a horrible experience. Luck had a mild reaction to lyme and it was very scary, I can't begin to know what you must have gone through.

It is very unusual to have a reaction to diphehydramine. It is possible, but is very, very rare. Are you sure your little one was not given something else. Hug to Mickey.
wkomorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement