The scariest moment of my life. - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Amanda
Dog's Name: Mickey
Default The scariest moment of my life.

Yesterday was the most scariest moment of my life.
Mickey went to the vet for his vaccines.
He has a reaction to them so he needs to have the Benadryl *shot first and wait 30minutes before getting shots. Well yesterday, as soon as Mickey had the Benadryl , he was not himself. He was falling asleep, walked like a drunk person, and did not respond when called. I called the doctor back into the room and he tried to wake Mickey up. He checked his heart beat, took his temperature,then put some fluids into Mickey. The doctor took Mickey outside to wake him up, but he was still falling asleep and my mom and I called his name but he wouldn't respond. So the doctor did one more thing but I can't remember what it was. Then the doctor put Mickey on the oxygen mask, while he was on that my brother came and saw him. That's when Mickey sat up and wanted my mom to hold him. We were able to take him back into the room. After that, we decided to do some blood work on him to see if there was something that was causing him to have a reaction to the Benadryl , but everything came back normal. We stayed at the vet for about two hours because the doctor wanted to watch Mickey and send him home when he gets better. Mickey did get better and started to whine, wanting my mom to put him down. He walked fine and also peed. At noon, the doctor released us since he was better. When we came home, Mickey still walked a little out of step and he would slept for 10 minutes and wake up and then sleep again for only 10minutes. After a few hours he ate his meal , drank normally and was a lot like himself.

He is alright today and back to his normal self.

Yesterday we thought something was going to happen to Mickey, we were so scared, but thankful that nothing worse happened to our sweet Mickey baby.

It was so weird yesterday because we did this every year (Benadryl *first, wait thirty minutes then get his vaccines and everything was fine), but we do not know why he became like that yesterday. The doctor said that the Benadryl does make them sleepy but not that fast. I mean he was out right after receiving it. Mickey would usually whine at the vet cause he wanted to go home, after the Benadryl *he did not make a sound.

Mickey couldn't get the vaccines yesterday so we are going back next Wednesday, but we're worried if he would be okay. The doctor told us that he would not use the benedryl from now on.

We are so happy that Mickey is all better today.

Thank you everyone for reading my long post.
PrinceMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

That sounds so scary. I'm sorry you had to go through that. Wishing him a smooth visit for his vaccines.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

Oh, that is frightening! I think no more Benadryl for Mickey is the way to go! I'm so glad he's back to his normal self
hoaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

That was a frightening experience. What will the vet pre treat Mickey with for his shots now, or will he wait until after the shot to see if he has a reaction? I'm glad that he's back to himself now.

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

That is very scary! I agree, Benadryl causes drowsiness but not that fast. I wonder if they accidently gave him a dose that was too large for him or accidently gave him another drug altogether. I hope not though. In any case, if he's never had a reaction to vaccines before, I would give them next time without Benadryl.

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Donna
Dog's Name: Ollie

The vet didn't by chance give too much?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Mickey is nine years old, right? I wouldn't do any more vaccines as he probably had immunity for many, many years. Rabies is the only vaccine by law that dogs have to have and Mickey may qualify for a medical exemption depending on your state.

Over-Vaccination - Dog Owners Beware - Whole Dog Journal Article

Help Stop Vaccine-Induced Illness in Dogs and Cats | Truth4Dogs
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kaylla
Dog's Name: Khloee

Omg, just reading this made my heart race! I'm so sorry you had to go through that! I'm glad to hear he is better. What a trooper!!!
Gongjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

I agree with Marj....if Mickey is 9 years old I wouldn't do those vaccines either. That was very scary to go through I am sure and I would not chance anything else happening to him. Good luck if you do decide to vaccinate him. Please keep us posted.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Name: Amanda
Dog's Name: Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiksaa View Post
That sounds so scary. I'm sorry you had to go through that. Wishing him a smooth visit for his vaccines.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Thank you soooo much
PrinceMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement