My Henry's aggressiveness. - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Shannon
Dog's Name: Henry
Default My Henry's aggressiveness.

Hello everyone. Hoping you have some advice for me.

My Henry will be 8 months old this month and I am noticing he is becoming more and more aggressive and protective.

Example: a friend of mine came over a few nights ago that Henry had never met and I was shocked to see Henry charge at her and begin nipping at her. I was so upset and worried. Then throughout the night, even as we warmed Henry up to her, he continued to bark at her. Might I add, he barks at EVERYTHING. A pin drops and he goes ballistic.

I am wondering it this behavior comes from him being overly protective of his home/mommy? When he visits other places, he is all but timid and wants to hide from other humans.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 01-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

Leila's a couple of months younger and hasn't started that yet. She still thinks everyone comes just to see her, lol. But if I'm not mistaken, I think he's hit the teenage stage and is when they can become more possessive and scared too. I think continuing to introduce him to more people should eventually help. You may want to give them a treat to give him when they first meet. I'm sure some with more experience can give you some better advice than me though.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila'sMommy View Post
Leila's a couple of months younger and hasn't started that yet. She still thinks everyone comes just to see her, lol. But if I'm not mistaken, I think he's hit the teenage stage and is when they can become more possessive and scared too. I think continuing to introduce him to more people should eventually help. You may want to give them a treat to give him when they first meet. I'm sure some with more experience can give you some better advice than me though.
Thanks, love. And hi neighbor! In Columbia also.

I have considered he's going through an aggressive teenage stage and it will get better. I just worry. I don't want to be fearful of having people over because it will upset Henry so much.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlin View Post
Thanks, love. And hi neighbor! In Columbia also.
Oh wow!! I was on here from my phone earlier and didn't even see you are from Columbia. We need to meet up sometime with our babies! I live near Lexington Medical Center. Are you far from me?

Have you considered signing him up for puppy classes? I know some people don't care much for the ones PetSmart has but I've been taking Leila to the one in Lexington and their trainer is great! All the puppies are on leash and so they're safe. It gives them a chance to be in a room around other puppies and people. The trainer we've had is only there a couple more months before going on to train service dogs, but everyone says the other trainer is great too.

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Audrey DeLay
Dog's Name: Jasmine (Female)

Jasmine is 5 years old know and she still has this aggressive behavior!! Jasmine is really protective of me she will even bark at my mom when she passes me by (I live with my mom). She will bark, bark, and bark to anybody who comes over, even if this person has been over a lot. However, I had a trainer come over to our house and this trainer stated that Jasmine is showing the trait of "Fight and Flight" response. The fight is when Jasmine is barking and nipping at the person, The Flight is when that person comes towards her and Jasmine runs away. The trainer suggested that when someone comes over have her on the leash and that way she won't be able to get to that person right away, and so she can't run away either. The trainer also stated that once this person has been over a while to have them hold the leash and while talking to us pet Jasmine a couple of times so Jasmine will know that this person is not going to hurt her. If Jasmine tries to get away, don't let her in fact pull her closer to this visitor. The dog will avoid this person, and will pant heavily, lick paws, etc... but that is normal behavior when someone expressing all of the panicked emotion that has been building up. Jasmine had a lot of this!!! This trainer was actually trained with Cesear Milan!!!! We tried this on Christmas Eve and it kind of worked; however, not all the way. We are working on it. I hope this helped!!!

dntdelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila'sMommy View Post
Oh wow!! I was on here from my phone earlier and didn't even see you are from Columbia. We need to meet up sometime with our babies! I live near Lexington Medical Center. Are you far from me?

Have you considered signing him up for puppy classes? I know some people don't care much for the ones PetSmart has but I've been taking Leila to the one in Lexington and their trainer is great! All the puppies are on leash and so they're safe. It gives them a chance to be in a room around other puppies and people. The trainer we've had is only there a couple more months before going on to train service dogs, but everyone says the other trainer is great too.
I live in the Northeast area but I work near downtown Columbia. I'm sure Henry would love to meet another baby fluff! Get in touch with me and we will see about meeting up one day!

And I have considered taking him to PetSmart for some training. He's a sharp little guy and I know he'd catch on quickly!
Old 01-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dntdelay View Post
Jasmine is 5 years old know and she still has this aggressive behavior!! Jasmine is really protective of me she will even bark at my mom when she passes me by (I live with my mom). She will bark, bark, and bark to anybody who comes over, even if this person has been over a lot. However, I had a trainer come over to our house and this trainer stated that Jasmine is showing the trait of "Fight and Flight" response. The fight is when Jasmine is barking and nipping at the person, The Flight is when that person comes towards her and Jasmine runs away. The trainer suggested that when someone comes over have her on the leash and that way she won't be able to get to that person right away, and so she can't run away either. The trainer also stated that once this person has been over a while to have them hold the leash and while talking to us pet Jasmine a couple of times so Jasmine will know that this person is not going to hurt her. If Jasmine tries to get away, don't let her in fact pull her closer to this visitor. The dog will avoid this person, and will pant heavily, lick paws, etc... but that is normal behavior when someone expressing all of the panicked emotion that has been building up. Jasmine had a lot of this!!! This trainer was actually trained with Cesear Milan!!!! We tried this on Christmas Eve and it kind of worked; however, not all the way. We are working on it. I hope this helped!!!
Thanks for your reply! I will definitely be trying this with Henry! Sounds like such good advice. I really don't want him or anyone I invite to my home to be stressed out.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

What you describe is most commonly fear-related aggression. It requires prompt treatment with a professional. Dogs do not grow out of this - it tends to worsen over time if not treated.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Dog's Name: Sir Henry Von Barkingsworth III

Hmmm, I have a Henry also, and he is 9 months. He barks his furry behind off, but he goes right up to every person and dog he sees. We started him out very early seeing other people and other dogs. That seemed to stave off the aggressiveness. In fact, just two weeks ago, Henry sacred our neighbor's Great Dane. I guess a dog that big never experienced a little dog that wasn't scared. Not sure if it will help, but try to take him with you next time you visit friends and maybe he will get used to other people.
Mallen600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement