sleeping and eating - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nancy Wyant
Dog's Name: Mia
Heart sleeping and eating

Mia doesn't eat a whole lot a time. I keep her food bowl on the sofa during the day, because she likes being up there with me and it keeps the cats out of it. Is it normal that she eats a little breakfast after her walk and then awhile later she eats a little more...and does this throughout the day????

Also, I've never seen a dog fall asleep as fast as this one does.. One minute she's bouncing all over the place and before I know it she's back up next to me and snoring away. She can be sound asleep on my pillow at night...but let me get up to use the bathroom, and she's waiting on me when I get back all wide eyed and bushy tailed. I lay back down, and she's out like a light. Is this normal???

Last edited by nwyant1946; 01-04-2013 at 08:20 AM. Reason: added something
nwyant1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

If her weight stays consistent she must be eating the right amount. I free fed mine for awhile, but since I now have 4 dogs, I feed them twice a day. When I free fed them the Yorkies were eating too much, and the Malts too little. I think that they can wake up in a flash if they hear the littlest sound, and fall asleep very quickly when they're tired or just plain bored.

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Heart

We just came in from our second walk. She really tells me when she has to go out. She peed and pooed again. And this time she ate a good amount.

Are they content to just hang out with Mom during the day? I don't want her to get bored, but she doesn't seem to be. She chases the cats around and runs around the house at will. What can I do to make sure she doesn't get bored?
Old 01-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Celeta
Dog's Name: Steve (a rescue)

My guy does not eat a lot for his size either. Food is not that exciting for him. But he eats when he feels like it and he's a good weight. He also LOVES to snuggle and can relax on a lap like nobody's business. He sleeps a lot too. I don't think they need a whole lot of stimulation, and she's probably so relaxed because she's getting lots of exercise which is the best thing for them. If she starts getting destructive then maybe it means she's bored, but it sounds to me like you've got a very content little pup! Just make sure you have some fun toys for her. I recently got a treat dispensing ball and he does like that.

StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Heart

When my husband goes back on the road, she and I are going on a shopping spree at Petco. I've heard the Kongs are good for them.

Somebody also said they feed their Malts carrots for treats. She looked at me like I had lost my mind...LOL
Old 01-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Ah.... Mia does the "I don't hear you Mama, I'm sleepin!" bit, too huh? LOL

Grace can be running wild and crazy then suddenly be "soooo tired" and crash on the couch. And even if it's only been 2 seconds, if I call her she will feign deafness LOL

I know it's her ploy to get me to carry her with me.

It's totally normal

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

A Kong will keep her busy or they have special learning toys and puzzles you can get to also keep them busy. I bet you can't wait to go on your shopping spree!!
Old 01-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

Having 4 they play together, but I noticed that Violet wasn't joining in so much, and was just being a couch potato. I combed her hair, put a pretty sparkly bow in her hair, got her harness and leash, and she and I went to Pet People! It's been to cold and snowy for walks here, so we walked and walked around the store! She loved getting attention from the clerks and people that came and went. She needed that little bit of stimulation and some extra attention!

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Abby Harvey
Dog's Name: Daisy Grace, Zoey and Laci Jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbabies mom View Post
Having 4 they play together, but I noticed that Violet wasn't joining in so much, and was just being a couch potato. I combed her hair, put a pretty sparkly bow in her hair, got her harness and leash, and she and I went to Pet People! It's been to cold and snowy for walks here, so we walked and walked around the store! She loved getting attention from the clerks and people that came and went. She needed that little bit of stimulation and some extra attention!
Sometimes on Saturday, I will dress Daisy Grace up in a pretty little dress (or sweater), put bows in her hair and off we go to PetsMart for a little Mommie-Daughter shopping. She loves all the attention and I have to say, that it makes me feel good for people to fuss over her. I know she is adorable but it kind of puffs me up for other people to say so. Ok--I'll say it---I'm so proud of her and I love to show her off!!!!!
Daisy's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

Ivy doesn't seem to eat enough to keep an ant alive either but she's gaining weight steadliy and seems healthy so it must be enough for her. She also will get into play-mode and romp and run, then suddenly crash for naptime. It's quite the norm for puppies.

I carry Ivy into non-food stores all the time, everything from shoes stores, office supply, hardware, farm supply, clothes stores, every kind but food stores and restaurants. I've never once been stopped and told I couldn't bring her in; all I get is "Awwww! Cute puppy!" I also never put her down on the floor. Maybe if I did, the clerks would be more concerned about her coming in and having an accident on their floor, but since she's always in my arms they don't seem to care. A cute 4-1/2 lb. ball of white fluff doesn't look very menacing to store clerks either, though it could be I've been lucky and have only encountered dog-loving store personnel so far. Since she's still so young, I also don't want to put her down on store floors due to her maybe picking up some doggie diseases off of someone else's shoes that they might have carried in. But I think it is really good for young puppies to get out and about and see lots of people, and learn that none of these strangers is a threat to them, and that it's fun to see new people.
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement