Iverhart - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 01:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy's Mommie View Post
Is this true?? I have never had a reason to doubt my vet--he is the greatest-- but since my babies never go outside, he told me that my babies do not need heart worm meds. Anyone ever heard this?
Your dogs may not go outside but heartworm carrying mosquitoes may come inside. Heartworms kill. I would not want my dogs unprotected and I'm actually surprised to hear a vet would recommend leaving a dog untreated.

Our dogs have done well on Trifexis which takes care of both heartworms and fleas. Just be sure to give it with a meal to avoid tummy upset. They aren't crazy about the "beef flavored" taste so I just moosh a little cheese around the tablet and they chomp it down.

Last edited by IvysMom; 01-05-2013 at 01:16 AM.
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

Quote:
Is this true?? I have never had a reason to doubt my vet--he is the greatest-- but since my babies never go outside, he told me that my babies do not need heart worm meds. Anyone ever heard this?
No, this is most definitely not true, especially in the South. Heartworm is a dreadful disease, often fatal and extremely difficult and expensive to treat, and it is carried by mosquitoes. While I don't use the brand on this website, here is a map showing heartworm risk and you'll see how many cases on average each vet clinic in your state have per year. So unless your dog wears mosquito netting 24/7, the chances are that they will be exposed.

There is no way I will let my girls go without heartworm preventative - I've seen and heard first hand just how awful that disease can be.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #13 (permalink)

Name: Angela
Dog's Name: Mia

I started using it a few months ago for my chocolate lab and Mia. No problems.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianna82 View Post
No, they offered me Trifexis, which is the dual one. Or they can give me Iverhart and Comfortis. But I seem to recall reading that it's bad giving those pills together.
I could be totally wrong, but I'd rather make sure before I do it.
I would give Iverhart (or Heartgard) & Confortis give them 2 weeks apart. I would use flea meds IF you have a flea problem.

SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
This is not true IMO. I would give HW prevention no mater where. Mosquitos are everywhere.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieh View Post
No, this is most definitely not true, especially in the South. Heartworm is a dreadful disease, often fatal and extremely difficult and expensive to treat, and it is carried by mosquitoes. While I don't use the brand on this website, here is a map showing heartworm risk and you'll see how many cases on average each vet clinic in your state have per year. So unless your dog wears mosquito netting 24/7, the chances are that they will be exposed.

There is no way I will let my girls go without heartworm preventative - I've seen and heard first hand just how awful that disease can be.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement