Happy New Year! Biscuit's Latest Status - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 11:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Vinh & Ann
Dog's Name: Biscuit (waiting for Mommy and Daddy @Rainbow Bridge) & lil Pork Chop
Send a message via AIM to vinhle68 Send a message via Yahoo to vinhle68

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the kind and comforting thoughts and wishes. Yes it is very sad and hard or Ann and I to see Biscuit go thru these relapse. We feel so helpless for him but we are continue to be positive and hopeful for our precious boy.

We are also blessed to have such loving and caring SM family that continue to support and offer comfort as Biscuit and us go thru this rough ride.

We are also blessed to have been referred to Dr. Sisson, and most greatful to him for taking us in to his treatment plan.

As for Biscuit, the quick response from Dr. Sisson and the alternate increase in Phenobarbital has help Biscuit to resume to what we can tell is his normal self, always hungry for a bite! LOL He's still quick to take a chomp out of his poop if we don't catch him in time.

Today Ann finally gives in and decide to give Biscuit his first shower since all of this started! Biscuit hates shower so when he heard his mommy said to take a shower, he runs over to my arms and asked Daddy to hide him somewhere! I was extremely please to see this behavior from Biscuit as it tell us he's can still process thoughts.

Biscuit say HI! to all of his SM Aunties, Uncles, and loveable Furballs friends!
Attached Thumbnails
Happy New Year!  Biscuit's Latest Status-biscuit-just-got-shower.jpg  

(Lil Biscuit @rainbow bridge, Lil Pork Chop 16weeks old)

Vinh & Ann
San Jose, California
vinhle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 11:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Prayers for Biscuit may gos send healing Angels xooxxooxxoxoox
aksm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Jackie
Dog's Name: Pippa and Cozette. Dolly and Tiffany are angels at the Bridge

Vinny and Ann, you are both such wonderful puppy parents and we know how much Biscuit is loved. I'm continuing to pray for him and you. It's great to know how supportive and available Dr. Sisson is, that's an amazing blessing for you all.

I'm glad Biscuit is acting more like himself-- that's always so encouraging! My Dolly had seizures and I know it's horrible to watch because you feel so helpless. But, as you said, he is acting like himself hating the shower and trying to eat what he shouldn't, lol, so we'll keep praying that he continues to show good progress. Know that he is always on our hearts and in our prayers.

socalyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalyte View Post
Vinny and Ann, you are both such wonderful puppy parents and we know how much Biscuit is loved. I'm continuing to pray for him and you. It's great to know how supportive and available Dr. Sisson is, that's an amazing blessing for you all.

I'm glad Biscuit is acting more like himself-- that's always so encouraging! My Dolly had seizures and I know it's horrible to watch because you feel so helpless. But, as you said, he is acting like himself hating the shower and trying to eat what he shouldn't, lol, so we'll keep praying that he continues to show good progress. Know that he is always on our hearts and in our prayers.

Well said, Jackie!
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

I too am so sorry that Biscuit's seizures began again. I'm keeping you all in my prayers. Glad that he hid from his bath , and seeing his normal personality come back!

Furbabies mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Terry
Dog's Name: Naddie, Quincy, & ( "Angel Missy" 8/11/94-7/19/05 )

Oh how blessed little Biscuit is you have such a dedicated mommy and daddy!! Praying that just some 'tweaking' of meds will keep things under control so he can continue his normal 'poop-eating attempts' and running to daddy for protection from the "s" word ( yeah I mean shower!LOL ) ...all great signs!
Old 01-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Vinh and Ann, continued prayers for Biscuit. He looks adorable and has such a sweet face. Hugs to you all!
Old 01-10-2013, 02:18 AM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Vinh & Ann
Dog's Name: Biscuit (waiting for Mommy and Daddy @Rainbow Bridge) & lil Pork Chop
Send a message via AIM to vinhle68 Send a message via Yahoo to vinhle68
Default Biscuit condition is heading downward

Hi SM Family,

Well I wish I had better news to share but since our last report of Biscuit’s seizure on Sunday 1/6/13, it is still unfortunate that even with the increase dose of Phenobarbital, Biscuit continue to experience seizures, while much milder than the one on Sunday, it is now indicating that his disease could be continuing to accelerate.

On Monday 1/7/13 we notice his tail twitching very lightly which last about 10-15sec at most so we assume it was a very mild seizure but since it was so light and quick, we didn’t really had any concern and didn’t report it to Dr. Sisson.

Yesterday 1/8/13 at around 11:35PM Biscuit tail again was lightly twitching for about 15sec worth and Biscuit also seems normal, and it was time for his Keppra and Phenobarbital, so Ann gave him regular dose of 1 mL, 50mg LEVETIRACETAM (Keppra) and while she was preparing to feed Biscuit and to give him the Phenobarbital, he had a light seizure lasting about 2min with light facial twitching and clapping at the mouth. The seizure seems much lighter than of the one we reported on Sunday 1/6/13. When the seizure stops, we gave Biscuit his routine dose of PHENOBARTIBAL 3/4 tablet, 12.15 mg and that’s it.

Naturally I forward the information to Dr. Sisson and request for his advice in which his response is that he is now concerned that based on these recent seizures and the abnormalities Biscuit showed onsite during the initial consultation visit in Boston, that Biscuit is not in complete remission and that now that he is on the reduced 7.5mg of Prednisone once a day, he may be relapsing. Dr. Sisson is now worried that Biscuit has Necrotizing Encephalitis of Maltese dogs and he adds that this disease may never go into complete remission and worsen each time Prednisone is lowered. Dr. Sisson did asked does Biscuit still want to turn in circles to the right all the time? How is Biscuit acting otherwise?

Our response was that Biscuit seem to shown less problem and issue during the day. He does pace around a lot, and often now and then would circle tightly to the right for a few rounds, and then he goes back to pacing. One of Biscuit normal routine before the seizure when he was normal was that he uses to circle rapidly when he wants to poop. So now with the disease he tends to circles to the right, because that is all he knows when he needs to poop. So we are keeping track of how often he circles just to poop vs. when he circles possibly because the inflammation or disease in bothering him. Now that we start to track his movement, condition, and behaviors more closely, we also notice that most if not all of the seizure incident occurs during the evening or late evening. We also notice that often just before a seizure incident occurs, Biscuit would either looks very tired and fatigue or he just sleeps for a very long time than he normally does in very heavy sedated-like stage, or sometime he would tries to find odd lying down position where his head would tilt downward, almost like his head is bothering him and he’s trying to find way to ease or cope with the discomforts. Other behaviors would be rapidly circling in tight clockwise circle, or he would just suddenly start to pace around very fast and seem to be confused to what direction he’s trying to move to.

From the detail feedback above, Dr. Sisson diagnosis and prognosis back to me today is that he thinks this is very bad for Biscuit. He said that he’s afraid Biscuit is not likely to survive long as he is not in remission and worsening on a fairly high dose of Prednisone. I asked in my email how much longer does he thinks Biscuit will last with such high dosage and all of the various treatment and tests, and his response was that maybe Months, and very unlikely even one year. He adds that Biscuit is likely going to die from a bad high dose of Prednisone adverse effect or this disease becoming untreatable.

In results, Dr. Sisson is now instructing us to move into a more aggressive Prednisone dose and treatment plan to see if we could get lucky with helping Biscuit. He said to start with the following dosage and schedules and to let him know in a few days if Biscuit is getting better.

15 mg of prednisone twice a day for 4 days
10 mg of prednisone twice a day for 14 days
7.5 mg of prednisone twice a day for 14 days

Then by the time we step into the last 14 days of 7.5mg dosage, we need to give him a summary of how Biscuit is so he can decide what to try next. He also add that due to the increase high dosage of Prednisone we will need to do a “12 hours fasted general serum chemistry profile blood test” 7 days after we start the above regiments to look for bad Prednisone toxicity.

Well as you know this latest development and news is not going well with my wife and she’s really sadden of Dr. Sisson prognosis. All that we can do right now is to be there for our precious boy and to help him to continue to fight through this. We are very worry of all of the medication, testing, and seizure traumas causing major pain and stress for our Boy but he really doesn’t have any other choice.

I personally told Dr. Sisson to be upfront with us and not to worry about giving us his honest assessment and that we are already grateful that we were able to find him and that he is willing to help treat Biscuit.

Please continue to pray for Biscuit to hopefully fight his way out of this.

(Lil Biscuit @rainbow bridge, Lil Pork Chop 16weeks old)

Vinh & Ann
San Jose, California
vinhle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:38 AM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Debbie

Oh Vinh and Ann, i'm sorry i haven't been on here that much but Biscuit you and Ann have been in my thoughts and prayers constantly. Biscuit is so very lucky to have you and Ann as his mommy and daddy, what amazing parents you are to your sweet boy.

I'm so sorry to hear that his seizures have gotten worse and that the disease seems to be accelerating. I will continue to keep Biscuit, you and Ann in my prayers and know that you are going are going to the best Dr. to help Biscuit try and manage this horrendous disease. You can bet that i'll continue prayers for Sweet Biscuit and you and Ann. We are here for you and Biscuit.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:33 AM   #20 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lyndsy
Dog's Name: Albert

God bless you Ann and wee biscuit Alberts not well either it is just heart breaking , I am thinking of you all and sending love and Alberts kisses to you all xxx