Happy New Year! Biscuit's Latest Status - Page 4 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #31 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: I'm Sammy: Piccolina, Bambolina and recently Girlie Dolcina are all playing in Heaven
Dog's Name: Poupetta (Poupe') born MAR 2005, Pallina Valentina born JAN 2012, & "Little Girl" born JUL 2009
Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina

Vinh and Ann,

we have been communicating in private, but I want to say that the "shower routine" is very familiar to me:
when I take the towels and bring it to the shower, all the fluffs disappear
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #32 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Brenda
Dog's Name: Jodi

I'm so sorry to hear this latest update about Biscuit. It is hard to read about his seizures and heartbreaking I'm sure to watch him. Sending more prayers and good thoughts to you and your sweet little guy.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:10 AM   #33 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

Vinh and Ann - I'm so sorry to read this about little Biscuit. I hate this disease so much and the pain it inflicts on the Maltese and the families. I will continue to pray for Biscuit and that someday a cure will be found. My friend recently lost her beloved Maltese to it...this was the dog that I petsat and convinced me to get Tyler. It just isn't fair. Sending our love.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:24 AM   #34 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Jackie
Dog's Name: Pippa and Cozette. Dolly and Tiffany are angels at the Bridge

Well, I really was hoping to see better news that this latest update. I will keep on praying that little Biscuit does go into remission and that he doesn't have any bad reaction from the high prednisone dose. I'm just heartbroken that so far the protocol has not worked, but that doesn't mean that he can't have an abrupt turnaround. You are so committed to Biscuit's care and he knows how much you love him-- I'm sure he is trying his hardest to get better. Continue doing your great job of caring for Biscuit, and the prayer warriors on SM will keep on doing our job of uplifting him and you in prayer.

socalyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:04 AM   #35 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Vinh & Ann
Dog's Name: Biscuit (waiting for Mommy and Daddy @Rainbow Bridge) & lil Pork Chop
Send a message via AIM to vinhle68 Send a message via Yahoo to vinhle68
Default Friday 2AM PST

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all of the support and prayers! You guys rocks!

Today Friday 1/11/13, at around 10:00AM-11:00AM we will be taking Biscuit to the Vet to show us how to give the first of 4 Cytarabine injections for the next two days. Dr. Sisson had shown us this before but we want to get another view of how to do it properly and as less painful for Biscuit as possible, then my wife and I will give him the 2nd injection later in the evening around 12hrs later which should be 11:00PM PST. We’ll repeat the 3rd and 4th dose on Saturday and have scheduled the Cytarabine CBC test 6-days after last injection which should be next Friday 1/18/13. We are also doing the "12 hours fasted general serum chemistry profile" 11AM or later on Wednesday 1/16/13 to check for potential Prednisone Toxicity in his blood.

So far, I can tell the increased higher dose of Prednisone is showing some sign of helping Biscuit. He seems to continue to have a great and amazing appetite, always hungry and ready to eat. He is peeing and pooping OK and no sign of diarrhea, no vomiting. He is still able to get to his water and often drinks a lot of water due to the effects of the meds. Of course naturally with the heavier dose of Prednisone and Phenobarbital, he does sleeps a lot when the meds kicked in. When he needs to pee or poop, he will get up and give us signs that he needs to do his business.

His facial expression seems more alert and focuses as well. Prior to the increase dosage, he tends to pace around more often, circle to the right often, and usually bump his heads into things as we go. This evening, I notice he pace less probably because of the heavier doses but when he does pace around, he actually does not bump into thing and can usually see the obstacles and avoid them. He also circle to the right less, but usually do when he needs to poop which is a normal routine he does even before the seizure started. So I think the circling to the right now when he needs to poop is normal.

Some other signs that indicate he can still process and response is he get alerted when he hears knock on the front door and would stand up and look or head the direction of the door. He usually would bark too in the past but since the seizure and medication treatment started, he has not barked much, mostly none existent. When we call his name he recognize it and would stop what he’s doing and look at us. He usually follows my wife everywhere she goes, which is another signs he is showing some of his old routine behaviors. He cognized the word “mum mum” which my wife says when she asked if he’s hungry and ready for his routine meal time, and when he hears these word, he knows it’s feeding time and get excited and full alert. We keep his treat in a plastic bag and whenever he sees us hold up the bag, he knows he’s getting a treat, and/or if he hears any noise resembling the sound of plastic bags, he get excited and head that direction to investigate. I think this show that he can still remember and recollects some from his memories.

I notice when he stand still that he still lightly swaying back and forth which could be the effect of the medications. Also when I touch his front-left paw, he would sense it and pull back as he normally does not like us touching both of his front paws. However, when I touch the right-front paw, he show no sign to trying to pull back and I think it has to do with him loosing much control of the right front paw, and it seem as the back-right paw is also weakened and less responsive as well.

Dr. Sisson instructed us to keep him updated on Biscuit condition and if he sees rapid improvement, he will lower the Prednisone early from 15mg to 10mg.

On a side note, Dr. Sisson said he thinks it is OK to give Biscuit DHA and we are seriously considering this but we want to consult with the SM family to see if anyone has any experience with this product to share with us.

DHA Liquid 1 oz (30 ml) by Pure Encapsulations

What Is It?
Neuromins™ and DHA liquid contain vegetable sourced docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), an essential omega-3 fatty acid. While most DHA is obtained from fish oils, vegetable derived DHA is extracted from microalgae, the fish's original food source, under tightly controlled food manufacturing conditions.

Uses For Neuromins™
Healthy Neural And Visual Development: Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), an omega-3 long chain polyunsaturated fatty acid, is the building block of brain tissue. It is the primary structural fatty acid in the gray matter of the brain and retina of the eye. DHA is an essential nutrient for eye development and for mental and visual function. Humans obtain DHA from their diets, initially through the placenta and from breast milk. DHA is commonly added to infant formula in Japan and Europe. Clinical trials of supplementation with Neuromins™ in healthy vegetarians have shown an increase in serum DHA and EPA levels.

Have a great weekend everyone!

(Lil Biscuit @rainbow bridge, Lil Pork Chop 16weeks old)

Vinh & Ann
San Jose, California
vinhle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #36 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Thanks for the update on little Biscuit as it sounds encouraging. I know absolutely nothing about the DHA that you are referring to and perhaps there are others who are familiar. I will continue to keep Biscuit and both of you in my thoughts and Prayers that he continues to make strides. Glad to see that he is doing better!!
Snuggle's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #37 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: I'm Sammy: Piccolina, Bambolina and recently Girlie Dolcina are all playing in Heaven
Dog's Name: Poupetta (Poupe') born MAR 2005, Pallina Valentina born JAN 2012, & "Little Girl" born JUL 2009
Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina

I sent you a PM, but checking to see how it went at the Vet today?

And this is for Biscuit.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:00 AM   #38 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Vinh & Ann
Dog's Name: Biscuit (waiting for Mommy and Daddy @Rainbow Bridge) & lil Pork Chop
Send a message via AIM to vinhle68 Send a message via Yahoo to vinhle68

Hi Sammy and everyone!

The Vet visit went very well and smooth today. The more senior staff Nurse took her time to explain the steps and show us how to give the injection with causing the lease discomfort to Biscuit as possible.

They weight and measure his temperature and his weight comes to about 6.51lbs with a normal 101 degrees temperature.

We were anticipating Biscuit to jump and yelp when the needle goes in but the nurse show us a technique where she said to first rub the area on top of his shoulder where you intend to make the injects, and to warm it up a bit so when you apply the needle, the dog won’t feel too much discomfort. This really did the trick and Biscuit only let out a low whimpering yelp.

Right now, late evening, he seems clingy and wanted Ann to hold him. When she tries to let him down he would kick his legs and whine. I’m wondering if this is the effect from the Cytarabine chemo medication.

Lastly, Dr. Sisson told us the Leflunomide blood level test result came back and shown the level came back too low. We’re told to increase the Leflunomide dose from 7.5 mg once a day to 12.5 mg once a day which is 1.25 tablets once a day. And we need to do another Leflunomide blood level test 20 to 23 hours after a dose has been given 14 days or more after the dose increase.

(Lil Biscuit @rainbow bridge, Lil Pork Chop 16weeks old)

Vinh & Ann
San Jose, California
vinhle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:33 AM   #39 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marie
Dog's Name: Snowball

Dearest Vinh and Ann ...

I haven't been online a lot lately ... but, I want you to know that my thoughts and prayers have never stopped for you, Ann, and your darling Biscuit.

I am so, so sorry that precious Biscuit is still having a difficult time with seizures, etc. And, also for the worry and sadness that you and Ann are enduring in regard to Biscuit's illness.

I have the highest respect for you and Ann. You are the most loving and devoted parents to sweet, sweet Biscuit. I don't want to go into detail here, but, the main reason I am not online as much right now is because of my Snowball. He seems to be doing great ... however, his liver enzymes test results are still being monitored. And, with this, I am keeping a journal of every thing ... his medications, food intake, his BM's, pees, activity, etc ... everything. He is my number one priority right now ... I love him with all my heart. I am in love with my Snowball. Just like you and Ann are with your fluff baby angel, Biscuit. So, what I am trying to say and share ... is that I can only imagine what you are going through with your more detailed scheduling with observing and administering the needed medications you must give to Biscuit. We love our fluff babies so much and will do anything possible to help them. So, with that ... my heart goes out to you and Ann.

Please give precious Biscuit gentle hugs and soft kisses from his Auntie Marie. Bless both you and Ann. May you be blessed with comfort, peace, and strength ... in knowing that you are doing your ultimate best, and so lovingly ... to help Biscuit feel as comfortable as possible with his illness.

Love to you, Ann, and darling Biscuit.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #40 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Hugs for Biscuit.... Still pray for him every day.

I hope the new medicines help him.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement