Ever since New Year's Eve..Rocky is spooked - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Dianne
Dog's Name: Rocky
Default Ever since New Year's Eve..Rocky is spooked

On the eve George and I went to a friends house for a couple of hours. We left Rocky at home with the TV on, so that in case there were any fireworks, he wouldn't hear them. George left our friend's at 10:30 and came home to check on his computer for work. He let Rocky out for some reason I don't know and went with him in our back yard. Just then, a big noise from fireworks bolted in the sky over the yard. Rocky ran in shaking. George called me and said he was running around the house. I told him to bring him to us at my friend's house. He did and Rocky wouldn't get out of my arms. He seemed ok, not trembling. Then I put him down (they have a sweet yorkie they were babysitting) but Rocky is not interested in playing with dogs) and he sniffed around and started to pee on their rug right in front of all of us! I grabbed him and took him outside where he walked all around and then peed. Now ever since, he hears something he looks up and starts shaking. What do I do? He is not playing as much with George. He prefers to sit on my lap. He's been sleeping with us every night since. My poor baby. Kind of upset that George had to come home and let him out. If he stayed at our friend's house Rocky would not have been outside during that really loud noise. Errrrrgh. Men..I told him to bring his lap top with him. They never listen!

Rocky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

Oh poor little Rocky. I had a similar experience with Ray a while back. He was frightened by the slamming garage door. He was very very clinging. It happened three times before I realized what the cause was and fixed the problem. I think you should just coddle and cuddle him a lot, it will take a while, but he will be back to his old self.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

Can you simulate similar sounds , not very loud at first, and give him treats. Then keep making it louder as he keeps getting more comfortable? He just needs to associate it with something positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Donna
Dog's Name: Chloe & Summer
Send a message via AIM to donnad

Poor Rocky...Chloe was never afraid of fireworks, thunder or loud noises until around two years ago but now it makes her nervous. She was never out during a storm, or outside when there were fireworks going off. I do not know why she became so frightened.

She also will become very clingy and shaky but it does go away after awhile. Hopefully it will be a one time incident for Rocky.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylie View Post
Oh poor little Rocky. I had a similar experience with Ray a while back. He was frightened by the slamming garage door. He was very very clinging. It happened three times before I realized what the cause was and fixed the problem. I think you should just coddle and cuddle him a lot, it will take a while, but he will be back to his old self.
I don't know Sylvia..he keeps looking up at the ceiling. It's weird. But he's eating well. He has still been very clingy and sleeping a lot more and playing less. I told my vet about it but he didn't really say anything much. I can't simulate the fireworks, so I hope he gets over it soon.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnad View Post
Poor Rocky...Chloe was never afraid of fireworks, thunder or loud noises until around two years ago but now it makes her nervous. She was never out during a storm, or outside when there were fireworks going off. I do not know why she became so frightened.

She also will become very clingy and shaky but it does go away after awhile. Hopefully it will be a one time incident for Rocky.
I hope so Donna. How old is Chloe now?

Old 01-08-2013, 04:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Dianne, he obviously was spooked by those fireworks. . . I am not sure about other dogs but our little Kirby never got over his fear of loud sounds once we had a terrible sleet/hail storm. Before that he was never afraid, but it really pounded the windows for a long time.
I wish I knew what to tell you to do---I think some dogs are just more sensitive than others--like people. Have you thought about the thundershirt---it helps some dogs?
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
Dianne, he obviously was spooked by those fireworks. . . I am not sure about other dogs but our little Kirby never got over his fear of loud sounds once we had a terrible sleet/hail storm. Before that he was never afraid, but it really pounded the windows for a long time.
I wish I knew what to tell you to do---I think some dogs are just more sensitive than others--like people. Have you thought about the thundershirt---it helps some dogs?
I have thought about the shirt Sandi...that's good when there is another time when I know there will be a storm for fireworks again. Do you know where I can get one..wonder if they really work. Happy New Year!

Old 01-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Thanks & Happy New Year to you and yours!
I would just look on-line & order the smaller size. You can return it if you don't like it I think! Let us know if it works for your little guy! I sure hate it when they get spooked. My 2 took the big fireworks in Vienna quite well this year--surprise!
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Yes, I'm going to try to be more noisy around here. He used to run when I coughed, now he runs to me and looks into my face as if to ask if I am ok. I have to say, Mommy's ok. Then he is fine. Quirky dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiksaa View Post
Can you simulate similar sounds , not very loud at first, and give him treats. Then keep making it louder as he keeps getting more comfortable? He just needs to associate it with something positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement