She growled at my girlfriend anf her daughter - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nancy Wyant
Dog's Name: Mia
Heart She growled at my girlfriend anf her daughter

This is the first time we've had anyone come over since we've had her. When I'm walking her, she's fine with other people, but when my friends came in today, she moved closer to me and growled..the closer they came the louder she growled. No snapping or barking...I haven't ever heard a regular bark from her. Heather wanting to hold her, but I was afraid to try.

What do I do when people come over?
nwyant1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Michelle Robison
Dog's Name: Amber, Emily,Lil Bit, Rylee, Sasha and a cat named Harry

Sounds like she's getting protective or possessive... How old is she? Sounds like she needs some socialization classes? My Emily was like that when she was young, but puppy socialization classes helped.

Mommy my bows are too tight...
When bad grooming happens to good Malts...

Jewellery, Doggie Goodies, Handmade tiles,cool flying pictures

http://www.picturetrail.com/michellerobison

Vote for Southern Comfort Maltese Rescue , Chattanooga, TN

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...hallenge.faces
michellerobison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Mia is a retired breeding dog, right? Do you know her background? What her living situation was before you got her?

As Michele said, Mia is probably under socialized. Rescues can need the help of a professional trainer to overcome issues. I would try to find one in your area who is certified and will come to your home for a couple of sessions. Growling at strangers is a precursor to biting and something you really want to deal with before it gets worse.

In the meantime don't push Mia beyond her comfort zone even if that means shutting her away when you have company.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Heart

When my neighbor had her she didn't growl at me when I went over there...she huffed at me a few times, but never was aggressive toward me. So, I was surprised when she growled at Lisa today. She didn't growl at the kids or my daughter or her husband, but that was their house. I never saw her protect my neighbor like she did me today. She would walk around sniffing at people when I was there if there were others there at the same time.

She loves my husband and doesn't act aggressively toward him at all. I've heard that can happen.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Walter
Dog's Name: Lucky

Could there be a physical quality that may alarm her?
wkomorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwyant1946 View Post
When my neighbor had her she didn't growl at me when I went over there...she huffed at me a few times, but never was aggressive toward me. So, I was surprised when she growled at Lisa today. She didn't growl at the kids or my daughter or her husband, but that was their house. I never saw her protect my neighbor like she did me today. She would walk around sniffing at people when I was there if there were others there at the same time.

She loves my husband and doesn't act aggressively toward him at all. I've heard that can happen.
Mia came with baggage since she's a rescue. It's hard to know what triggered her behavior.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Heart

Lisa is a big girl with a big voice. They also have three chihuahuas which maybe she smelled. Outside on the leash she is curious about people. I stopped and sat with a neighbor the other night on her porch and Mia was quiet and comfortable. Layed down in front of us. We saw some kids playing basketball yesterday, and although the jumping and running and kids carrying on made her stop a few times and look up at me. as long as I kept moving she was right with me. No aggression or outright fear.

At my daughter's house, just before we left, I let Arwen, my 8 year old granddaughter hold her with my supervision and she was fine with it. They sat with me on the sofa and petted her and talked to her. I let them each give her a treat and it was fine..
Old 01-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janene
Dog's Name: Babinka (06/09/14 Rainbow Bridge) Peppino and Tiny Tina

Sounds like she picked up a scent from your friends that she thinks they are not trust worthy of being around you. Not only did you get a little gem of a dog but the fact she loves you lots! With a bit of patience and love you can train her to know that you are ok and not in harms way
maltese manica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

My boys will bark like crazy at people, growl at them, but when approached turn into wiggly rolly polly puppies that lick hands and want bellies rubbed.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Vinh & Ann
Dog's Name: Biscuit (waiting for Mommy and Daddy @Rainbow Bridge) & lil Pork Chop
Send a message via AIM to vinhle68 Send a message via Yahoo to vinhle68

Mia is adorable. Our Biscuit does the same thing but we never had the opportunity to get him any socialize training. When he's out and about in public he's fine and most time quiet and friend, letting people come up to him and pet him. However when he's home and in his comfort zone, he would grow and bark to visitors. He even chase and bite our daugther!

(Lil Biscuit @rainbow bridge, Lil Pork Chop 16weeks old)

Vinh & Ann
San Jose, California
vinhle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement