Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Ivy goes to be spayed today...sniff

1K views 33 replies 20 participants last post by  Snowbody 
#1 ·
Today will be a hard day for my sweet little fluff. I feel so bad for her that she'll be so scared and i can't do anything to make it all better for her. I know it has to be done but i hate making this sweet trusting little girl have such a horrible day. I just love her so much and wish i could spare her the pain. Sniff...

#11 ·
The staff will most likely love her up before surgery.... They love tiny dogs LOL

When Grace had her blood work done yesterday it took forever... I was worried she was really giving them ahard time. But turns out they were playing "Pass the fluff" because everyone wanted to hold her.

So I know our little ones get special loving while there :)

I will pray for Ivy today. Let us know how she does :)

#14 ·
Praying for Ivy today.
We all know hard it is for you. Try to keep busy today and not worry too much.
My Daisy is such a sweet happy girl and I was so worried that having been through the surgery would change her personality, but it didn't. She is still my happy girl. They do bounce back very fast.
I know it is so scary, but I am sure Ivy will do fine.

#17 ·
Whew, it's done and Ivy did fine though of course she feels crummy. The good girl waited until we were home before she threw up (we have an hour long car ride from the vet's to home!) and even then she missed the carpet and did it on the hard kitchen floor. She was very clingy and wanting me to hold her but finally let me put her in her soft bed right next to me which I figure is probably more comfortable for her than being held anyway. She's asleep now.

I love my vet. A lot. I held her until he was ready for her, then he let me come into the surgery and hold her until she was completely unconscious. He said some dogs will panic when they put the gas mask on but if their momma holds them in her arms they are so much more relaxed and do much better. Ivy didn't budge at all with the mask on, just had her eyes looking up at me for reassurance until I saw the light go out of them and knew she was asleep. I then left (I can watch other animals' surgeries, but can't bear to watch my own babies') until she was awake again. She looked so pitiful when I came back in, but her little tail started wiggling when she saw me even though she felt so crummy. I can't wait until she feels well enough to be bouncy and playful again.

Thank you everyone for your support! It really helps knowing people here really do know how I was/am feeling.

#25 ·
It is interesting hearing about how spays are done so differently by different vets. Ivy had no external stitches and was given no cone to wear, just told to limit jumping and running for a week (that is a challenge!).

I rather like the no stitches because there is nothing there for her to try to bite and grab and try to pull out. She worried me licking it last night but since this morning I've hardly seen her pay any attention to the incision at all. Here is a photo of her incision that I just took; she had her surgery about 36 hours earlier:

#26 ·
My bigger problem with Ivy right now is that she's feeling pretty good and wants to PLAY! I have her in her playpen next to my computer and she wants OUT to run around and play!

LET ME OUT!!!

Here's my bear! Lets play fetch!!!

I give up... Mom won't play...sigh...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.