Post Nasal Bordetella COLD? - Page 3 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #21 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilb View Post
Awe..poor Sammie..I hope he feels better...has he gotten the bordatella before? This vaccine is not necessary unless Sammie goes to the groomer. I'm with Tracey on this..if I couldn't do my own grooming, I would have someone come to the house...keep us posted..hope you get some good sleep. My vets push vaccines, too...I have one vet who wants me to give lepto..I mean c'mon! Vaccines are their bread n' butter. All I vaccinate for now is rabies..except for my Lily..no more shots for her ever...due to anaphylactic reaction and a compromised immune system...keep us posted, dear Kandis.
April, did you get a statement about not taking Rabies shot from your vet in regard to Lily---is your state one that allows this?
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #22 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Update:
Heard from the company that produces Bronchi-Shield already. This is what they had to say about the oral:
"Thank you for your inquiry and interest in BronchiShield Oral. This product
is labeled for 1 year (12 mos) duration of immunity."
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #23 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysmom View Post
Did Sammie get the bordatella when he got his dental?

I personally never do a couple of procedures at the same time, especially not if anesthesia is involved. Sammie's body/immune system had to work hard to get the anesthesia out of his system so it may have made him more susceptible to side effects from the intranasal vaccine.

Just watch him as your vet said and bring him in if he doesn't improve.
Could be right. We talked about this and he said the nasal is not like a rabies vac, any after cold from the nasal he would get with or without a dental. You know he knows how I feel about any vac.
I actually forgot he needed it to go into hosp so I had to decide that day. Vet said its harmless we give them all time for hosp visits. If he gets a little sick it will just pass and he won't get the REAL sickness out there he sees all time coming in (groomers, ect).
But I know I will get it before next time.

Last edited by SammieMom; 01-11-2013 at 02:03 PM.
SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #24 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe's Mom88 View Post
I would bring him in on Saturday if he isn't any better tomorrow. I do hope he feels better ASAP.
Thank you Barbra. Hopefully he will feel better tonight. I been slammed at work-but I'm heading home.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #25 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
The way you describe it is exactly what happened with Dominic. For three nights I had to get up and hold him up against my chest like when you hold s baby after breast feed, you know? That was the only way for him to stop coughing and snoring like he was suffocating... After three nights ( Friday through Sunday) I could barely sleep and was so worried about him and on Monday the vet checked on him but he was fine, no fever, no nothing so she said they wont do nasal vaccines for him anymore. Monday night he slept all night but those were hard days.
Poor baby... It will pass. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Thanks for your reply. My Vet did say that it would prob pass soon but it's scary when they are sick.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #26 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky's Mom View Post
Sorry to hear Sammie is having a reaction of some sort. Rocky just had his last week and no reaction at all. I hope little Sammie is ok. Rocky does a little cough like he has a hair ball stuck in his throat after playing tug of war with his rope. He used to do a reverse sneeze too, but that stopped. Hope Sammie is feeling great now!
Thanks Diane-Sammie started with his issues about 5 days or so afterwards. So glad Rocky is like my Penny- as most do fine.

Last edited by SammieMom; 01-11-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #27 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbody View Post
Kandis - I just get the feeling that the nasal shot of bordatella is a real irritant to the nasal passages and probably drips into the throat as well. Tyler was very uncomfortable with it and as I said, had never reverse sneezed before. I just don't like putting him through that (I have a lot of nasal issues and they're a pain) so I switched to the shot.
Sue-after watching him closer last night I think your right on the money with your description. We don't have reverse sneezing problem before either. Nasal irritation sounds right. Just a dry cough/sneeze. If he goes into cooler area or like when he could smell the grass being mowed last night, both set him off. Along with what Marj said, he won't get a nasal vac on same day as being intubated again. Even if it's got nothing to do with what's happening a week later.
xxx

Old 01-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #28 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace'sMom View Post
I would get Sammie checked....

He may have a cold, or a cold from the nasal vaccine. Esp. since he's never had it before.... It wouldn't surprise me.

You can try some saline drops (unmedicated) for his nose.... and a steam treatment - Just like with a baby - run the shower hot and sit with him in the bathroom so he breathes that good steam....

Make sure to bundle him in a blanket when you get done so he doesn't get chilled.

I had cats who got colds from the vaccine a long time ago... remember doing that with them.

Hope he feels better soon
Thanks for all the info on bathing. You know, you reminded me the Vet did say it can happen on first one only, and not with the boosters, so I will ask. I too prefer nasal but not sure now for him, just iron woman Penny. That girl is tough I guess. I am pretty sure it is a dry irritated nasal / nose from the vaccine not a real chest/head cold (I hope) bec he eats, wants to play but I dont want to toss a ball yet (his FAV) so he doesnt understand. he is so sweet!! I hate he has this but it's not serious like other problems on SM now.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #29 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
Did Sammie get the bordatella when he got his dental?

I personally never do a couple of procedures at the same time, especially not if anesthesia is involved. Sammie's body/immune system had to work hard to get the anesthesia out of his system so it may have made him more susceptible to side effects from the intranasal vaccine.

Just watch him as your vet said and bring him in if he doesn't improve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammieMom View Post
Could be right. We talked about this and he said the nasal is not like a rabies vac, any after cold from the nasal he would get with or without a dental. You know he knows how I feel about any vac.
I actually forgot he needed it to go into hosp so I had to decide that day. Vet said its harmless we give them all time for hosp visits. If he gets a little sick it will just pass and he won't get the REAL sickness out there he sees all time coming in (groomers, ect).
But I know I will get it before next time.
I hate when they tell you to get bordatella the same day because it is required since it takes a couple weeks for immunity. Getting it the same day as visiting the vet, groomer etc. offers no protection at all.

I haven't been doing bordatella with Bailey. He is young and super healthy with a great immune system. Fortunately my vet understands my "quirks" about spreading things out, not over vaccinating, etc. because of Lady.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #30 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
I hate when they tell you to get bordatella the same day because it is required since it takes a couple weeks for immunity. Getting it the same day as visiting the vet, groomer etc. offers no protection at all.

I haven't been doing bordatella with Bailey. He is young and super healthy with a great immune system. Fortunately my vet understands my "quirks" about spreading things out, not over vaccinating, etc. because of Lady.
Neither did we get bordetella till spay and dental. My Vet is same with me, never makes me get them, just advises to get them. One benefit here is if you give a bordetella the distemper vac gets deferred (cant rem how many yrs). I understand he has his hosp rules. I made the decision to get it on same day. But like others he might have gotten sick with just a nasal, but I should have gotten it before a dental.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement