Post Nasal Bordetella COLD? - Page 4 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #31 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kandis
Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny Maltese

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
Pat's Ava had this Kandis, a year or 2 ago---I remember it clearly.
We can only get the nasal here so if I travel to the US it is what I give before going w/the pups---otherwise I just leave it. It seems to me I read there is an oral vaccine now for this that also lasts longer. I will see if I can find the site & post it. In the mean time have a look at this site for good information:
Should Your Dog Get Bordetella, the Kennel Cough Vaccine? | Truth4Dogs
Dear Sandi-thanks for your posts. My Vet didn't mention an oral. I will read them this weekend. Been busy day for me. I know it's late there. So Kitzel did fine with his nasal? That's good. I do now remember little Ava having it. I feel they prob all recover pretty quick its just kinda scary.
Will be nice if the oral was avail to avoid nasal irritations.
xxxx

Last edited by SammieMom; 01-11-2013 at 03:51 PM.
SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #32 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbabies mom View Post
All of my dogs have had the nasal vaccine and did fine with it except Dewey... He hasn't been to the groomers yet so I didn't get it for him yet. Now I'm concerned. I was going to get it for him next week and make an appt. at the groomers to clean up his belly and trim his nails. Now I don't know what to do?? Shot, nasal, or none??
Deborah-If you give him one, (only reason I did was for dental, but don't mean I'm right) don't go by Sammie. Dewey might do fine. I think would be horrible situation if all dogs and cats stopped getting vaccinated. So I get what I feel is necessary and forego ones I can. I don't think you should forego the nasal first. My Vet says it has less side effects than the shot. If he does get any of the irritation type issues, I don't think you need to worry. Just don't get nasal next time. Penny did 100% fine like all of yours.
My Vet gives his dogs nasal instead of shot as soon as it was available. He has small dogs too. I really only get it if the hosp says to.
xxxx

Last edited by SammieMom; 01-11-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #33 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

I agree Kandis. I've said before I had a dog with kennel cough, it sounds horrible and the dog can't rest for coughing. My vet did recommend the nasal. I'll probably take Dewey next week than wait a while and set up a grooming appointment .

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #34 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

One of the articles I posted (Jean Dodd) actually states there are less side effects w/nasal. When that article was written the oral was not yet available, so would love to hear if anyone here has tried it?
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #35 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Quote:
I agree Kandis. I've said before I had a dog with kennel cough, it sounds horrible and the dog can't rest for coughing. My vet did recommend the nasal. I'll probably take Dewey next week than wait a while and set up a grooming appointment .
Great idea Deborah. It takes about 2 wks. usually for the immunities to kick in. Tonight I broke down & got a flu shot as we will be traveling lots in the next few months & this yrs. shot is better than in other years according to the studies---but it will take about 2 wks before it is actually helpful.
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #36 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratsuzao View Post
I would bring him in on Saturday if he isn't any better tomorrow.
Thanks!!!

Old 01-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #37 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Debora-i know what you mean. Thank goodness, what Sammie has is NOTHING like the KC my puppy had yrs ago. That was awful. I think vac regimen is what's best for each pets circumstances, reations, health, travel. It's bad when you see a vet force many at once or uneeded vacs on dogs like a Vet that gave my friends maltpoo lepto vac and she found out another vet opinion was its not really needed here for inside dogl like hers. You have to research I guess and pray for best. I hate vac time but respect what they do.

Last edited by SammieMom; 01-11-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #38 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLR View Post
Poor Sammie. I will not give bordetella. Ben had a similar reaction when he went through his puppy shots so never again. That's why if he is ever groomed professionally they will have to come to the house and use my table. I have talked to a couple people that have a grooming business and they will do that for me. My vet always pushes vaccines on me and he is due now so I am ready for the fight. She thinks that titer testing isn't based on solid studies so her recommendation is to do the puppy series and then booster at one year and be done with it (except rabies which is state required). I'm going to have the titer done and see what it shows as I am comfortable with the data out there.
Hope Sammie continues to improve.
Thanks Tracey, Sammie won't get it either again nasal. Did Ben get a nasal or shot form? My Vet is not a titer fan either. But he said I don't need to give mine Lepto vac.
xxxx

Old 01-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #39 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by revakb2 View Post
Bogie was sick with cold like symptoms for over a week with the nasal bordetella vaccine. I no longer give it him.
Thanks Reva. I will give the shot now. If I had to give them because of boarding in close quarters or travel I guess I would just take a weeks cold over real kennel cough.
xxxx

Old 01-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #40 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilb View Post
Awe..poor Sammie..I hope he feels better...has he gotten the bordatella before? This vaccine is not necessary unless Sammie goes to the groomer. I'm with Tracey on this..if I couldn't do my own grooming, I would have someone come to the house...keep us posted..hope you get some good sleep. My vets push vaccines, too...I have one vet who wants me to give lepto..I mean c'mon! Vaccines are their bread n' butter. All I vaccinate for now is rabies..except for my Lily..no more shots for her ever...due to anaphylactic reaction and a compromised immune system...keep us posted, dear Kandis.
Hi April- I know it's no fun and he is still doing it. I can't tell till tonight if he is improved. He does it more in bed. Sammie goes to the groomer, but I never gave it to him. I can't believe he would give it to him just for the money. He is so caring about my dogs. He said he had to have one to go to the hospital. I read a piece of Sandi's literature and seems it is to protect the Vet. I will ask him about it. He is very open with me. Our groomer is very small/private and I just didn't take him for one till dental. But Vet to me I should get one for groomers long ago. I wanted to try the nasal first. we just get the rabies too, I guess that's pretty standard. no lepto. Did your Vet say you need lepto vacs because it's reported in area where you walk your dogs? I don't know alot about it, except it's bad stuff.
xxxx

Sponsored Links
Advertisement