Post Nasal Bordetella COLD? - Page 6 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #51 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Michelle
Dog's Name: Maisie Rose

My two little poodles (7 lbs) had the nasel vaccine 2 1/2 wks prior to putting them in a high class, new boarding kennel here as we were going to my son's wedding in Ct. They were there for 3 days and came home with kennel cough. Had to go to the vet and they were put on medication.
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #52 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
Sammie, how long is he like that? Mine was like that for 4 days and 3 nights then he just stop sneezing on the 4th night. I'm sorry your baby is going through this and I hope it stop soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Thank you! He got shot on wednesday, then I think he has been doing about 4 days now. some it last longer though.

SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #53 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi's Mom View Post
Oh My God SOSo Sorry Its Ava Shes A Girl!!!!
Beautiful Girl!!!!!!!!!!!
no problem.......

Old 01-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #54 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLR View Post
He was sick and coughing for about a week. It's not something I want to go through again so I have decided minimal vaccinations and titer testing.
Ok, maybe it will end Monday, that is what Vet is hoping. He said last night that bordetella is totally different from our standard vaccines Tracey as far as reactions as colds/cough. these are just a big nuisance, like a human flu shot can do, it's the others that I fear most. At least we can opt out of bordetella unless Ben needs to go to hospital. You better talk to her now or she will give him one (maybe).
my vet did say that the dog flu can be really bad on these little guys. wonder how common it is? I will ask. poor guy another ?

Old 01-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #55 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maisie and Me View Post
My two little poodles (7 lbs) had the nasel vaccine 2 1/2 wks prior to putting them in a high class, new boarding kennel here as we were going to my son's wedding in Ct. They were there for 3 days and came home with kennel cough. Had to go to the vet and they were put on medication.
Wow, just never know do we. How long did the KC last? We had a puppy with KC for 3 months. My vet did say some do get some KC from the vaccine, but more from the shot than nasal, and if it did happen would not be bad like the puppy I had.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #56 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

Poor Sammie I hope he is feeling better tonight. Obi hasn't gotten the intranasal since he's been with me but I do remember one of his vets letting me know the risk I am taking by not giving it. I told his vet that I do all the grooming now so I'm willing to take that risk. Then, he left me alone! Hopefully, Sammie will get over this very soon! ::hugs::
hoaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:07 AM   #57 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Vinh & Ann
Dog's Name: Biscuit (waiting for Mommy and Daddy @Rainbow Bridge) & lil Pork Chop
Send a message via AIM to vinhle68 Send a message via Yahoo to vinhle68

Hi Kandis,

I am very sorry to hear about Sammie's experiences. I hope he gets well soon and can go back to his normal self and cuddles with his great Mommy!

(Lil Biscuit @rainbow bridge, Lil Pork Chop 16weeks old)

Vinh & Ann
San Jose, California
vinhle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:48 AM   #58 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maisie and Me View Post
I do think there are different strains of KC as there are of influenza & some of the KC vaccines (whether nasal, injection, or oral) cover more of one strain than w/the other (as in flu shots for humans)---so I could see this happening.
Another thing to consider is that for one or another reason a shot might not be effective (maybe not stored properly beforehand or ??). That is where a titer will show if the dog has some resistance.
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:50 AM   #59 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Kandis, you said in one of your postings here that he recently also go the rabies vaccine---how recent was that in terms of when he got this nasal spray? My thinking here is that the rabies ahot may have lowered his resistance thereby setting him up for more of a reaction for the KC. Just a thought. If it were more than a month I would not be so concerned about this possibility.
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:00 AM   #60 (permalink)
TLR
Maltese Guru

Name: Tracey
Dog's Name: Ben

Kandis, here's a link that sums up my current thoughts on bordetella. I have her book "scared poopless" as well.
Should Your Dog Get Bordetella, the Kennel Cough Vaccine? | Truth4Dogs