Post Nasal Bordetella COLD? - Page 9 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 03:21 PM   #81 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi's Mom View Post
So Glad all is Getting better for you,you have been thru alot.
So Glad to hear your little one is much better Reading your thread-has taught me so much info. Iam So Glad I Read it all.
This Site really comes to the aid of its menbers,Fantastic Place to be. Nickee&Yogi in PA*****
Thanks for your well wishes....
Yes you never know what small topic will lead to other great info and help others. I have learned a lot here. My Vet might say little too much..(not really, he likes I do research).......

SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #82 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
Pay SPECIAL attention to the last paragraph!
Sandi, thanks for all the links. I could go nuts, it's really scary stuff. I will ask about the waiver for him if I need another one. Hopefully he won't need another one for a long time and if so it will be a shot. this really sucks. he can't move around at all w/out sneezing/gagging I guess. I don't know what to call it.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #83 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Have you been back to the vet, Kandis?

If he's still like this tomorrow you might want to take him.... He could need some support meds.

I know reactions happen but this one sounds worse than ordinary... if he got an actual cold from the nasal vaccine, he could need something to help. Need to make sure it's clearing and nothing getting stuck -- it's like with a human - a virus can cause a bacterial infection if nose gunk sits too long or drops to the lungs.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:45 AM   #84 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Debbie

I just finished reading the whole thread...not sure how i missed it probably because i haven't been on much. I'm so sorry that Sammie and you are going through all of this but very happy to hear nothing serious and you weren't charged for the visit yesterday.
I don't remember any of mine getting the bordetella vaccine shot or the nasal, well maybe Chloe when it was time for her vaccines after i got her but not 100% sure. My vet doesn't require bordetella vaccine for surgeries she just requires that they be updated on rabies and that's 2 weeks prior to surgery. For obedience class i didn't have to show proof of bordetella vaccine either, just had to show proof of rabies, distemper and parvo and the distemper and parvo i was able to show proof of titers and this was just recently.
Hopefully Sammie will start to feel better soon, i know how he feels since i've been coughing and sneezing my fool head off because of the post nasal drip but at least i can take something for it. Is there something that Sammie could take besides benadryl to help dry it up?
I know i have learned so much on here about vaccines, health, food and pet safety. I'm just so thankful for this site it's a wealth of information!
Hugs to you Kandis and give CM and Pen Pen kisses from Auntie Debbie.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #85 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Michelle
Dog's Name: Maisie Rose

Kandis, Beau and Cody's Kennel Cough lasted about 2 wks. The Vet said they prob got it at the boarding kennel and that likely they would have been worse without the vaccine. I personally am not sure. This place was state of the art facility and spotless and were fanatical about being sure all dogs were vaccinated but who knows. I was more concerned that Maisie would contract it as she was 4 mo old. She stayed with one of my friends. She never got it thank goodness.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #86 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maisie and Me View Post
Kandis, Beau and Cody's Kennel Cough lasted about 2 wks. The Vet said they prob got it at the boarding kennel and that likely they would have been worse without the vaccine. I personally am not sure. This place was state of the art facility and spotless and were fanatical about being sure all dogs were vaccinated but who knows. I was more concerned that Maisie would contract it as she was 4 mo old. She stayed with one of my friends. She never got it thank goodness.
Michelle,
thanks for your post. I think they prob got it from the shot myself. It is known to cause light case of KC in some dogs. Sammie is still sneezing and carrying on. He seems a little better though. Comes and goes. I am thinking 2 weeks here too. I am mad at the moment just thinking of the other vaccines a lot today with Penny due soon for hers.......

Old 01-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #87 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysugarbears View Post
I just finished reading the whole thread...not sure how i missed it probably because i haven't been on much. I'm so sorry that Sammie and you are going through all of this but very happy to hear nothing serious and you weren't charged for the visit yesterday.
I don't remember any of mine getting the bordetella vaccine shot or the nasal, well maybe Chloe when it was time for her vaccines after i got her but not 100% sure. My vet doesn't require bordetella vaccine for surgeries she just requires that they be updated on rabies and that's 2 weeks prior to surgery. For obedience class i didn't have to show proof of bordetella vaccine either, just had to show proof of rabies, distemper and parvo and the distemper and parvo i was able to show proof of titers and this was just recently.
Hopefully Sammie will start to feel better soon, i know how he feels since i've been coughing and sneezing my fool head off because of the post nasal drip but at least i can take something for it. Is there something that Sammie could take besides benadryl to help dry it up?
I know i have learned so much on here about vaccines, health, food and pet safety. I'm just so thankful for this site it's a wealth of information!
Hugs to you Kandis and give CM and Pen Pen kisses from Auntie Debbie.
Hi Deb, thanks for thinking of us. Your so sweet. We are riding it out for now. I never got it before either till now.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #88 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammieMom View Post
Sandi, thanks for all the links. I could go nuts, it's really scary stuff. I will ask about the waiver for him if I need another one. Hopefully he won't need another one for a long time and if so it will be a shot. this really sucks. he can't move around at all w/out sneezing/gagging I guess. I don't know what to call it.
Kandis, you don't need a waiver for bordatella. It's not required by law. Whether or not to get it is entirely up to you.

Getting bordatella the day Sammie had his dental did nothing to protect him from kennel cough as it takes a two weeks for immunity.

"If you decide to give the vaccine, make sure it is the intranasal form, that is, given as nose drops, not injected. And give the vaccine at least 2 weeks before contact with other dogs, for the sake of both your dog and other dogs."

I bolded what sounds like exactly what happened to Sammie.

Bordetella: Does Your Dog Really Need the Kennel Cough Vaccine? Written by Jan on March 21, 2012 – 12:01 am

Your veterinarian, kennel owner, trainer, day care provider or groomer says your dog should/must be vaccinated against kennel cough, but you’re trying not to over-vaccinate.

What should you do?

More and more, people with pets are finding another vet, kennel owner, day care provider or groomer — or keeping their pet at home! Vaccination is a serious medical procedure with significant risks. If that weren’t bad enough, the ”kennel cough” vaccine is unlikely to prevent kennel cough! It can even produce kennel-cough like symptoms. The WSAVA Guidelines say, “Transient (3–10 days) coughing, sneezing, or nasal discharge may occur in a small percentage of vaccinates.” It can also cause a serious anaphylactoid reaction. Look up anaphylactoid. You won’t like it.

Think of kennel cough as a canine cold, transmitted as human colds are transmitted — from an infected individual in close contact with an individual with compromised immunity. Like a cold, it is also considered a mild self-limiting disease. If humans can’t effectively be vaccinated against a cold, how can pets? A veterinarian friend uses an OTC remedy called B & T Cough and Bronchial Syrup to treat the cough. For small dogs she uses the children’s variety.

Vaccination | Truth4Dogs

Last edited by Ladysmom; 01-14-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #89 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Marj-Thanks for all the info on bordetella I thinks it same one posted in earlier post, but I will read it tonight. And your right that's what he has to tee!!

Sammie is finally turning the corner. Poor guy he just goes off when he is excited like if I play with penny or first come home. I have to be quiet and pick him up fast or he goes off so no playing a lot latey. but I'll know today when I get home how much better he is. Penny runs circles around him when he is in a sneeze fit, or she tries to comfort him by snuggling his head.

Last edited by SammieMom; 01-15-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #90 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Celeta
Dog's Name: Steve (a rescue)

Steve got his bordetella vaccine today, but he got the shot. I was glad for that since I read what sweet Sammie is going through!

StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement