Pet restraint bag... for grooming and health - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 11:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix
Default Pet restraint bag... for grooming and health

One of the vet techs suggested a pet restraint bag for Grace - when she comes home from surgery and we need to change her bandages (dew claws)...

Since Grace is not a fan of having her nails done, guessing she won't like having bandages messed with either.

I've seen ones in photos of grooming sessions.... Groomers have a sling type thing... it is similar to that idea.

So I went out and looked, and we got one today at a grooming supply store.... We got the small.

Like this:

Amazon.com: Cat Grooming Bag - SMALL, cat restraint bag + FREE Cat Muzzle by, Downtown Pet Supply: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Cat Grooming Bag - SMALL, cat restraint bag + FREE Cat Muzzle by, Downtown Pet Supply: Pet Supplies

I really think a 10 pound cat would be hard to stuff in there LOL Grace is 6 pounds and it isn't snug on her at all, loose... but I guess I couldn't imagine a 10 pound cat in it....

We got it.... She sniffed it. I want to get her in it a few times....

I was worried she'd freak out in it.... She sat right in it and let me zip her up... let me lay her on her side (unheard of when she knows I want to do something!).... And surprisingly she started falling asleep! When I unzipped it she didn't want to get out... looked up at me like, "Please zip me up again, Mommy...."

Here she is with one paw out.... I was able to (pretend) clean her ears and mess with all her nails....which usually brings out the Ninja...but she was so calm! And it wasn't even tight on her...

It has handles so you can hold them up... We will put her in it, with her front paws out...and my mom will hold the bag.

She was so cozy in it.... Just thought I'd pass it on. For medical issues and grooming - this is a good option.... Probably will use this for teeth brushing, too!

Will update after her surgery and a few uses... let you all know if it passes the test

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 05:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Debbie

I had a similar one for 17lb cat that was still with us, it was great for clipping his nails...no more fighting. I never thought to get one for the pups...it would be great for brushing teeth especially Kelly since she screams and carries on when it's time to get her teeth brushed.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

She looks so comfy in it! I wonder if I could find one around here to use for brushing teeth.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Cindy
Dog's Name: Lilly and Daisy
Send a message via Yahoo to cyndrae

Interesting idea. I never thought of a restraint and will be interest to hear how it goes for you.

I always find the best suggestions/ideas on SM.

cyndrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

How is it to get Grace in it?

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

Oh and I love Grace's hair longer she looks so cute!

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisol
Dog's Name: Kelly, Kimmy & Khloe

It looks like a really good idea actually!! I might order one for after Kelly's spay! Gracie is so cute in it!! And I agree with Deb; she looks so pretty with longer hair!!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Fluffdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysugarbears View Post
I had a similar one for 17lb cat that was still with us, it was great for clipping his nails...no more fighting. I never thought to get one for the pups...it would be great for brushing teeth especially Kelly since she screams and carries on when it's time to get her teeth brushed.
Grace too! She just hates it. After a full year of trying to do positive desensitization, I told the tech I just don't know what to do. So glad she suggested this! I wish I would have had one earlier, would have saved a lot of fights LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila'sMommy View Post
She looks so comfy in it! I wonder if I could find one around here to use for brushing teeth.
I found ours at a big pet supply store that caters to groomers (they sell like bulk shampoos LOL).... So maybe call around? Amazon is great about returns if you have to order it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndrae View Post
Interesting idea. I never thought of a restraint and will be interest to hear how it goes for you.

I always find the best suggestions/ideas on SM.
Will update later next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbabies mom View Post
How is it to get Grace in it?
I thought she would fight getting in. But maybe it's because she loves her other bag? She happily sat in it and I just gently and slowly closed it... It has a long zipper that goes all the way down the back, and there is a flap that goes over to the other side and velcros to protect the fur from getting in the zipper (nice).

I had her sit in it, then unzipped the front paws so she could stay sitting while putting it on... Then you velcro the neck piece first, and then the back flap then zip it up.

It has a big zipper for the bottom half, two back leg zippers, and two front leg zippers.She didn't have a problem with my moving her limbs in and out of any of the zippers, and this is Grace.... Grace is not cooperative by nature So huge surprise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbabies mom View Post
Oh and I love Grace's hair longer she looks so cute!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffdoll View Post
It looks like a really good idea actually!! I might order one for after Kelly's spay! Gracie is so cute in it!! And I agree with Deb; she looks so pretty with longer hair!!
Thanks

I do like her hair longer.... But since she loves her sweaters, a shorter cut is best. That is probably the longest I will let her get. I do need to trim her face a bit.

Since they are going to be shaving her entire front leg for me (both of them) I am just going to shave her so she looks even.... They usually only shave a patch for the dew claw, but I explained I want the whole leg shaved so it stays clean. Not my first dew claw rodeo.... After Gus's - and trying to clip the hair off AFTER surgery... lesson learned. So they will do her whole leg top to toes.... I think I may have given the vet something to think about LOL He never thought about how these little dogs with longer hair - the feet are like dust mops...Which isn't hygienic for keeping the sutures clean.

But I might let her hair grow out again, after... for summer But I won't touch her ears or topknot ever!

Old 01-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Donna
Dog's Name: Ollie

Did you have her dew claws removed?
Old 01-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

They are being removed Monday when she is spayed....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement