HELP-Need Advice On Heartworm Meds! - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nickee
Dog's Name: Yogi
Default HELP-Need Advice On Heartworm Meds!

HereGoes,When I First got Yogi and the vet gave me HeartGuard Chewables, i started reading on the net about it. I really got scared about all the side effects that could happen. I also am aware what could happen without giving him this. To be Honest--I chickened out.

He is only 6 1/2 pounds. i really need to address this issue,so please sm family help me!!

I Would greatly appreciate your comments on this.
Nickee&Yogi in Pa.

Last edited by Yogi's Mom; 02-23-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barb
Dog's Name: Spookie

I used Intercepter while it was available. We will be changing to Trifixs soon. I don't use Heartguard, never have or will. I'm in Florida, have Mosquitos year round, she has to be on it. She is 7#, my poodle Kris is 15#, he's on it too.

Think before you pink
Do you know how the money is spent?
spookiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Judy
Dog's Name: Tater tot

When I adopted my little Tater Tot he weighed 6.5 pounds at 1 1/2 YOA. The vet felt he was a little under weight and had not been fed a good quality dog food (she could feel all his bones) from the forum I learned of Blue Bayou and he is now 8 pounds...she tested for heart worms and was negative and felt the six month shot was the best for him. My friend has a six month old Maltese, uses the same vet and he gets the comfortis/heart worm pill every month. I don't know if it's because of his age or something else. Yogi is a cutie!
hempsteadjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

We use Iverhart

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

We have used Trifexis since it came on the market and it works well for both heartworm protection AND fleas. Due to where we live, we have to give both heartworm and flea protection year round.

Heartworms are becoming resistant to Ivermectin, the active ingredient in Heartguard, Iverhart, and the other heartworm meds containing Ivermectin. Most vets around here no longer give Ivermectin products for heartworm protection because so many dogs who were on it were starting to turn up testing positive for heartworms. That is why we use Trifexis. Trifexis just recently became available in dosage for dogs who are 2 to 5 lbs. The smallest tablets used to be for dogs 5 to 10 lbs. If your dog is on the border in weight (for example 4 lbs. 12 oz.), always go up to the next higher dosage for heartworm protection. Always give Trifexis with a meal or they might toss it back up. Since Ivy is such a "dainty" eater, I cooked up some white rice and sprinkled a little shredded cheese on it for her which I knew she would gobble down. She did! She'll learn to love Trifexis night because she gets a special little meal with it!
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nickee
Dog's Name: Yogi

Very Interesting, I will Do Some Study On That. I love the fact that its for smaller weight doggies also--i just cant give something that a 50lb dog can take. also yogi does need flee protection.e was out alot last summer/never had one flee-but i worried so very much. i greatly appreciate all the help these forms have. many thanks NICKEE&Yogi in pa
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Iverhart Plus is what we use now. I would give flea meds 2 weeks apart from heart worm meds. you can do it. good luck. the amount of medicine in the heartworm pill is very low in comparison to what a vet uses to treat a dog with say mange.

SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement