Out of Interceptor Need Heartworm Med - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Jennifer
Dog's Name: Bailey & Sophie
Send a message via AIM to jenniferhope423
Default Out of Interceptor Need Heartworm Med

So we have used the last of our Interceptor and now I need a new Heartworm medication for all 3 of my girls. My vet gave me Tri Heart to try but reading the package it's for dogs up to 25 pounds! I'm not sure that I am comfortable giving my little girls 4.5 and 5 pounds a medication for a 25 pound dog. What are you all doing for Heartworm preventative? We don't have flea or tick trouble so I'm not worried much about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
jenniferhope423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

My vet switched from Inceptor to Iverhart. I've been happy with it

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nickee
Dog's Name: Yogi
Default Meds

Iam Haveing A Hard time to finding one. Gosh i just read horriable reviews on Triflexus.. and it wont kill ticks--Yogi is 9mo and i still have not started one. iam really weird about this and yes iam so scared to start any of them. i dont want to be a bad mom But the more i read the worse it get. ill follow this thread to see what advice you get. let me know what you go with Nickee&Yogi in Pa!!

Last edited by Yogi's Mom; 02-23-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

Please excuse this copy/paste, but I posted what we're doing for heartworm protection on another thread yesterday. Rather than rewrite it again today, I'm just c/p'ing it below. We've had good success and no problems with Trifexis with both big dogs and little bitty Maltese -

"We have used Trifexis since it came on the market and it works well for both heartworm protection AND fleas. Due to where we live, we have to give both heartworm and flea protection year round.

Heartworms are becoming resistant to Ivermectin, the active ingredient in Heartguard, Iverhart, and the other heartworm meds containing Ivermectin. Most vets around here no longer give Ivermectin products for heartworm protection because so many dogs who were on it were starting to turn up testing positive for heartworms. That is why we use Trifexis. Trifexis just recently became available in dosage for dogs who are 2 to 5 lbs. The smallest tablets used to be for dogs 5 to 10 lbs. If your dog is on the border in weight (for example 4 lbs. 12 oz.), always go up to the next higher dosage for heartworm protection. Always give Trifexis with a meal or they might toss it back up. Since Ivy is such a "dainty" eater, I cooked up some white rice and sprinkled a little shredded cheese on it for her which I knew she would gobble down. She did! She'll learn to love Trifexis night because she gets a special little meal with it! "
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kandis
Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny Maltese

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvysMom View Post
Please excuse this copy/paste, but I posted what we're doing for heartworm protection on another thread yesterday. Rather than rewrite it again today, I'm just c/p'ing it below. We've had good success and no problems with Trifexis with both big dogs and little bitty Maltese -

"We have used Trifexis since it came on the market and it works well for both heartworm protection AND fleas. Due to where we live, we have to give both heartworm and flea protection year round.

Heartworms are becoming resistant to Ivermectin, the active ingredient in Heartguard, Iverhart, and the other heartworm meds containing Ivermectin. Most vets around here no longer give Ivermectin products for heartworm protection because so many dogs who were on it were starting to turn up testing positive for heartworms. That is why we use Trifexis. Trifexis just recently became available in dosage for dogs who are 2 to 5 lbs. The smallest tablets used to be for dogs 5 to 10 lbs. If your dog is on the border in weight (for example 4 lbs. 12 oz.), always go up to the next higher dosage for heartworm protection. Always give Trifexis with a meal or they might toss it back up. Since Ivy is such a "dainty" eater, I cooked up some white rice and sprinkled a little shredded cheese on it for her which I knew she would gobble down. She did! She'll learn to love Trifexis night because she gets a special little meal with it! "
Hi,
Can you share where you live? I have not heard this news for our area.
Thanks!

SammieMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Using Iverhart Plus up to 25 lb dog. I chose the plus because it has less wormers in it. Had no problems with this one since changing from inteceptor.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi's Mom View Post
Iam Haveing A Hard time to finding one. Gosh i just read horriable reviews on Triflexus.. and it wont kill ticks--Yogi is 9mo and i still have not started one. iam really weird about this and yes iam so scared to start any of them. i dont want to be a bad mom But the more i read the worse it get. ill follow this thread to see what advice you get. let me know what you go with Nickee&Yogi in Pa!!

Yogi'sMom, I'd really recommend getting your little baby tested and on preventative as soon as possible. Heartworms are deadly and with Maltese having such tiny little hearts and arteries - and heartworms not being any smaller just because the dog is smaller - a very small infestation can quickly kill a small dog. It is recommended that puppies begin preventative treatment no later than 8 weeks of age. Here is a quote/recommendation from the American Heartworm Society:

Puppies should be started on preventives as early as possible, no later than 8 weeks of age. Puppies started on a heartworm preventive after 8 weeks of age should be tested 6 months after the initial dose, then annually thereafter. Before initiating a preventive regime on dogs 7 months of age or older, antigen testing should be performed and in appropriate instances, also tested for microfilariae. This will avoid unnecessary delay in detecting subclinical infections and potential confusion concerning effectiveness of the prevention program if a pre-existing infection becomes evident after beginning preventive administration (e.g., preventives initiated during the pre-patent period).

Here is the link to the entire (long) article: American Heartworm Society | Canine Guidelines
Old 01-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammieMom View Post
Hi,
Can you share where you live? I have not heard this news for our area.
Thanks!
Sure, Southeast Missouri, right where MO, IL, AR, TN, and KY all come together.

We use two vets, one who I LOVE who did Ivy's spay. He was only still using Ivermectin products for dogs under 5 lbs., but now Trifexis has come out with dosage for 2 to 5 lb. dogs. Our other vet who we use doesn't even carry any Ivermectin products for dogs anymore. I have no idea what he recommends for the under 5 lb. doggies though knowing him, I expect he tells them to use the 5 to 10 lb. dose tablets.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nickee
Dog's Name: Yogi

Oh My God,Now Iam Worried!!!!
Ill Go To The Vets On Monday Morning. I Read All This High TEch Vet Things here--We only have 6 vets--and they are the pits. very old fashion.

Really no suggestions on what needs done next for my little one--i will ask for the test/and i must pick out a med.
He Sold Me Heartguard-I Still have it/lotta good thats doing.
I WILL Make my choice this weekend/for sure. if something happened to my boy-I WOULD DIE*

Many Thanks and God Bless You!
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvysMom View Post
Sure, Southeast Missouri, right where MO, IL, AR, TN, and KY all come together.

We use two vets, one who I LOVE who did Ivy's spay. He was only still using Ivermectin products for dogs under 5 lbs., but now Trifexis has come out with dosage for 2 to 5 lb. dogs. Our other vet who we use doesn't even carry any Ivermectin products for dogs anymore. I have no idea what he recommends for the under 5 lb. doggies though knowing him, I expect he tells them to use the 5 to 10 lb. dose tablets.
Thanks! I'm down south and knowing my Vet he would be calling us to change ASAP as he is Mr. heart worm protection!...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement