Separation anxiety - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

I'm an ex-pen fan too. I kept Tyler in one with his crate inside it to sleep in, water, food toys and wee pads and made it as large as it could get so he had room and wasn't locked away somewhere. I remember reading to increase space in increments and not jump from crate to whole house. We went from that to the whole house after a couple of months. Whenever I left Tyler I gave him the key phrase "Mommy will be back soon" every time I left. Now I just say "Mommy will be back soon" and Tyler heads for his bed or a toy and doesn't rush the door or get upset. It works like a charm. Just be consistent.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nancy Wyant
Dog's Name: Mia
Heart

Thanks for all the great tips.
nwyant1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nickee
Dog's Name: Yogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbody View Post
I'm an ex-pen fan too. I kept Tyler in one with his crate inside it to sleep in, water, food toys and wee pads and made it as large as it could get so he had room and wasn't locked away somewhere. I remember reading to increase space in increments and not jump from crate to whole house. We went from that to the whole house after a couple of months. Whenever I left Tyler I gave him the key phrase "Mommy will be back soon" every time I left. Now I just say "Mommy will be back soon" and Tyler heads for his bed or a toy and doesn't rush the door or get upset. It works like a charm. Just be consistent.
Hi==I Wanted to know what is the x-pen i have a big round one in the family room and a crate--i also just bought a pretty white smaller one today-
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nickee
Dog's Name: Yogi

Susan sure is right. I Made a big mistake =i didnt have the heart to put Yogi in a crate. Big Mistake. I Wish I Knew More when i got him. I Gave Him To Much Space=And Iam Paying for that now. Working On More Playpen Time-And You Know it does get better.
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Gail
Dog's Name: Lucy

Lucy RUNS to the xpen when I get ready to leave. That's because she always gets her treat when she goes in there.She seems to like it, is always sound asleep when I get home. I always leave the TV on for her. But she goes nuts with her high-pitched squeaky bark if I put her in there when I'm home . Also, if we put her in there and then don't leave right away she gets all bent out of shape. But she seems fine to be in there when we are gone. She's fine in her crate (also always gets a treat) at night when we are in the room sleeping. But as soon as we wake up--bam she wants out. Long and short of it--she doesn't mind being confined (but NOT behind a closed door--she HATES that) when we are gone or sleeping, but hates it when we are awake and here. Makes it a little difficult to get "private" time.
I'm beginning to think that Miss Lucy is need of a little more training. She's a tad spoiled....
LoveLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Heart

Mia is the opposite. Goes berserk in her crate when I leave, but is fine in it as long as she knows I'm there. I think if I leave her the run of the living and kitchen while I'm gone and give her some Bachs it might be better. I can close off the bedrooms and bathroom and she doesn't chew...yet...LOL

I won't be leaving her today. I promised a lazy day of watching TV in the bedroom and just chilling out...
Old 01-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #17 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

My girls have their kitchen and bathroom. Potty pads are in the bathroom (of course) and they have water, beds and toys in the kitchen. Floor is laminate in case we have an accident.

I started with a small x-pen when I got each girl and then they graduated to the kitchen once I was confident they knew where to go potty.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Toni
Dog's Name: Bella

Bella at 1 year old now has full rain of our house. Mind you it's only 1220 sf so she can't get into much. The only doors I close are to the bathrooms. She has done fantastic!
We started her out in her crate, moved to a larger play pen, then to just the kitchen, then kitchen & living room to now the whole house. Funny thing is I think the only place she stays at is her spot on the arm of the couch

Toni Wilson
Willow Springs, NC
ToniLWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny

Nancy-I'm so glad your not going to leave her crated in the room anymore. I know you want her to be safe from cat, but Probably feels like punishment to her. I did what others here have said, and used the iris panel pen till 8 mos when gone (and Walmart has a nice baby pen too). I know gating won't help with cat so moving the cat is your only option. I think not crating her anywhere will help her get over sep anxiety sooner. One of the rescue ladies here posted (she's seen many cases where a dog left alone had got their feet and tiny mouths caught in the crate bars and on the door hinge/locks somehow) to a thread one night a member opened to warn us she had to take the door off while her dogs mouth was caught in the hinge. I still close bedroom doors only when I leave only bec I have things stored under the spare beds they could get into. Prob wouldn't but I'll give them another year first. I have pads in a bathroom.
Good luck and keep us posted on the sep anxiety.

SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Heart

Yes, no more crating. I'll just put Winston in the bedroom with water....he considers it a vacation...getting the bed all to himself..LOL And Mia will have the living room and kitchen. It should help. I felt so badly when I came home and she was soaking wet from drooling and looking so sad. Never again!! Like I said before, if she has to be crated because of a larger dog like in my daughters' houses...as long as I'm there she's fine and doesn't even pay any attention to the other dogs..so the crate will be kept for that sort of thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement