Separation anxiety - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nancy Wyant
Dog's Name: Mia
Heart Separation anxiety

I'm re-thinking how I leave Mia. I've been crating her and putting her in the bathroom with the door closed so my male cat doesn't get aggressive with her. The other two are fine, but Mia and Winston have some issues. They both like to aggravate each other.

The Bachs worked somewhat, I think. I left and had to come back because I forgot something. I checked her and her feet and beard were soaked from her drooling. I gave her a few more drops of Bachs and left again. I was gone about 1 1/2 hours and when I got back I let her out and her feet were dry, but her muzzle was still wet.

I'm thinking the next time I have to leave her, I will put HIM in a room with water and food...he could care less. And that will give her the run of the house and hopefully, the Bachs will work better for her that way. I think maybe crating her isn't such a good idea. She's fine in the crate as long as I'm there with her, but leaving her alone in the crate isn't such a good idea.

Any ideas from anyone??? I would appreciate all input. I feel so badly coming home and she's all wet and looking at me so sad...
nwyant1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Maybe you should try a Thundershirt. My vet recommended it and said that it works very well on most fluffs. I can't use it because Zoe is not fond of clothes and I feel it would create more anxiety. I think putting the cat in the room instead of her is a good idea.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Heart

I am going to get a thundershirt...but I will have to wait until my husband starts getting a paycheck..he just went back to work today... But, the thundershirt is on my list of things to get for her.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Its suppose to be very good. She really is having separation anxiety badly for her to be drooling....poor baby.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

I have never (deliberately) locked my dog in a room, it seems that they would want to get out. When they were young I kept them confined in a x-pen. MiMi never worried about it...not much bothers her. But, when Ray was a puppy he would yelp and scream...until he heard the garage door close. Even a puppy can figure out that it isn't going to do much good to cry yourself silly, if there is nobody to hear you. He didn't know that I was lurking outside to hear if he settled down.

I would leave her for short periods to get her used to it, and used to the fact that you WILL return. It is important for you to be casual about leaving, and about returning...no " poor baby did you miss mommy?"
Old 01-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janene
Dog's Name: Babinka, Peppino and Tiny Tina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylie View Post
I have never (deliberately) locked my dog in a room, it seems that they would want to get out. When they were young I kept them confined in a x-pen. MiMi never worried about it...not much bothers her. But, when Ray was a puppy he would yelp and scream...until he heard the garage door close. Even a puppy can figure out that it isn't going to do much good to cry yourself silly, if there is nobody to hear you. He didn't know that I was lurking outside to hear if he settled down.

I would leave her for short periods to get her used to it, and used to the fact that you WILL return. It is important for you to be casual about leaving, and about returning...no " poor baby did you miss mommy?"
maltese manica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nickee
Dog's Name: Yogi

Sylvia--You are Right--I Read that in my doggie books-way to go
About the puppy i hope you get that right. thundershirt--yes it work so well for Yogi-I Only use it for storms thunder lighting high wind.
But I want to tell you=when he is acting up and just crazy--i just put on a little shirt or a snuggie--oh my,he is calm for hours. Just Put kitty in that room. how old is your baby? I could never let the Yogi Free if i wasnt here. he destroys when i watching-i keep up all day with this lil boy--thank god iam at home all the time--good luck!

Oh If He Was Just This Size again--IWANT ANOTHER!!!!!!

Last edited by Yogi's Mom; 02-23-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Hope
Dog's Name: Bella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylie View Post

Slyvia is right about leaving for short periods of time and not making a fuss when you return. You should also not make a big deal when you leave either. The rule of thumb I was taught in dog training school for my service dog is to basically ignore them ten minute before you leave and ten minutes after you return. Just go about your business as usual. Also, I do think an ex-pen works well placed in a room that they enjoy being in and feel comfortable in...rather than shut behind a closed door. The tv or radio can be soothing to them. Another tip is that dogs are very quick to catch on to "leaving" cues such as getting your keys or putting on your coat and these cues can cause them to start building anxiety before you even get out the door. Its a good exercise to pick up your keys or put on your coat, etc. but then not go anywhere at all. That way you sort of de-program them of thinking that every time you do those things you are going to leave. I hope that makes sense. It worked for me because when I first got my service dog, he would bark and bark when I left without him. He doesn't do that anymore. It really only took about two days of doing those things mentioned to get him to stop.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Heart

Mia is 2 1/2 years old. She's so perfect in every way except for this. She doesn't chew on anything, so I don't worry about her destroying anything. I will get the shirt asap.....Also ordering a carseat from Amazon for her. I just don't want to take her anywhere I will have to leave her alone in the car even for two minutes...no way!!

I don't make a big deal out of leaving or returning. I just opened the crate and didn't make eye contact for awhile..even though she was jumping around in front of me for attention. I didn't give her a treat either...
Old 01-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Celeta
Dog's Name: Steve (a rescue)

I stopped crating Steve when I left. He used to get very anxious when I left him (not to the point of drooling or chewing though). He does so much better if I just confine him to a few rooms (I close off the upstairs and our bedroom). I hated leaving him in a crate! He is a rescue so potty training him took a while and was tricky, but I think we are there. I leave out a potty pad and if he does have to have an "accident" he'll go on that. But he has not done that in quite a while so I think I can say he's house trained! Now he doesn't get anxious when I leave, I just tell him, "no, you're staying" and he'll just sit and watch me walk out the door, then run to the front window and look out. So cute! I think you've gotten great advice as far as leaving for short periods, desensitizing the cues, etc. Also I have read to give them a high value long lasting treat when you leave like a peanut butter filled Kong (but Steve won't touch treats while I'm gone, I think his world stops turning). Good luck!! It's hard leaving our babies when we know they get upset!

StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement