Rachel Ray Dog food - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

Nancy, I looked over the food for a reason to tell you not to feed it, I'm sure if I broke things down further I could come up with a million reasons. Here is what you will find if you start researching food.

You get to a point where you believe the 'popular' brands, and by that, I mean, Blue Buffalo, Fromm, Acana, Wellness (as an example of some)-are just the bee's knees. They are the best! Anyone who feeds anything else is feeding crapola!

And then you keep reading, you learn more, and you realize the only way to know 100% what your dog is getting is to home cook. (And that's a whole different discussion) If you feed kibble or canned-or anything packaged by anyone else, you are settling because, honestly, no one knows what they put in those mixes. There have been times that these 'premium' type foods (not necessarily the ones named above) have been tested to show that they don't even contain what is on their bags!

I try to make sure the dog foods I use do not contain ingredients from China-but that's difficult, especially when it comes to the vitamin mixes. I try to make sure it's made from whole foods-instead of by products or products of whole foods-but honestly, either way it's all crumbled down to mush and baked and baked and steamed and baked some more into a crunchy pellet-and by that time the vitamins are heated out of it so they have to re add them.

So, there is NO perfect food. I still like the 'popular' brands, but if someone decides to feed something else-it's not the end of the world. Do you like what you are feeding? Is your dog doing well on it?

One thing I've learned is to trust the results that you see with your own eyes. You can spend $10 a pound, and have a dog who is always sick or looks terrible, well obviously then... that's not the best food for them.

Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor is my favorite dog food rating web site. I try to stay within the 4 and 5 star type foods.

There is also the argument about protein, which people greatly misunderstand. Protein can be harmful if it's poor quality (by products meaning beaks, and chicken feet and cow hooves) and if it lacks sufficient water for processing. Which means, you can get away with a higher dry matter protein from wet foods that are sourced from quality meats. It also means if your dog food uses high quality protein sources-that you can get away with higher levels of protein as well.

Now, in the majority of the 'popular' brands, protein is brought up with the use of peas and legumes-instead of meat. Even though meat is the first ingredient in many, that is based off of the meat while still retaining all it's water, once the water is pulled from the meat (as it is in the processing of kibble) it pulls the meat much further down the list. So really, even though we are paying bank for all these fancy dog foods where the first ingredient is meat-we are getting a lot less meat than we think.

Yes, I still think you should try to stick with quality brands-I just think there is a misconception out there that these brands are far more awesome than they are. Are they better than Pedigree or Purina? Heck yes! Are they anywhere close to a plate of steak and potatoes? Heck no! (That's not a balanced dinner for dogs btw).

I realize I've just confused the issue, and I apologize, but the more you read on dog nutrition,the more you will understand (and the less you will understand ) 98% of what is out there is opinion, and there is very little independent research available on nutrition for us regular people. Most of the information on dog nutrition is made by the big companies-Purina, Hills-and very one sided. Even when there is research done, and there are facts-any company can take the results and shine the light on them in a way to make THEIR brand look like the best.

So read, consider opinions, try some things and see what works for your pup, with your own eyes.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nancy Wyant
Dog's Name: Mia
Heart

I mixed a tablespoon of the Rachel Ray lamb stew with the BB and added just a little water to mix it and she scarfed it up....Finally ate good. That doesn't mean I'll stick with this brand...I just wanted to try some wet and see if she likes it. This one will last me a few days at this rate.
nwyant1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Walter
Dog's Name: Lucky

I t is important that she eats. When you have a difficult eater, it can be so difficult. RR food is not bad and if it helps her eat, great. The main critism is that it is not a nutrient rich as some of the other foods. It. is not harmful, but will result in less of the nutrients absorbed and bigger poop. I don't like wet food because Luck has anal gland issues, and these foods are a bit too moist. You might want to try a little chicken or salmon or scrambled egg in her food. Eating is always better than not eating. Finding a food combo that your liitle one likes is important. Lucky is getting tired of his Artemis, so I am going to try blue buffalo limited ingredients later this week. Don't forget, you can add some raw veggies, like carrots or beans as a supplement. Apple and pears are good too. But just a little, since balanced diet is omportant.
wkomorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Heart

So that's why her poop was so huge compared to other days....I won't be sticking with this brand...I just wanted to see if she would eat a little better since she wasn't eating very much at once. Maybe 10 or 11 pieces of BB unless I hand fed a bit more. But she scarfs up 1/4 cup with a 1/2 tablespoon of RR mixed in, so I'm sure whatever wet I decide go with she will be just as enthusiastic. I am amazed at how well she eats with a little flavor thrown in.

It didn't give her diarrhea either, which I was a little worried about, but she's fine so far.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Heart

I researched dogfoodadvisor last night and came up with several 4 and 5 star canned foods...also Fresh Select Slice which I may try. I didn't know Paul Newman made Dogfood...Newman's own dog food is 4 or 5 stars. Also Merrick, Innova, Nature's Variety, and Evo. So I will try one or some of these and see which looks good...I hate anything that looks like mushed up slop in a can. I want it to look appetizing and smell good. I'm learning!!!!!
Old 01-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Walter
Dog's Name: Lucky

Usually, the bigger the poop, the less nutritious the food they are eating. Really concentrated and firm poop means that the nutrients are being better absorbed and you are feeding a better food. But getting them to eat can be challenging with some.
wkomorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Heart

As soon as I get to Petco, I will be changing to a 5 star canned or frozen food. But, she is scarfing up her twice a day feedings now...she's going to get fat!! LOL

I guess I just want her to have something more appetizing than a bunch of little brown chunks in a bowl to eat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement