Grace at home - updates - Page 7 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #61 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Sending Grace prayers and hugs to feel herself real soon!

Old 01-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #62 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Thank you Barbara

I'm going to be measuring her water intake more closely today....

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #63 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Hang in there Tori liver babies are hard to recover Becky its day 8 and still feels awful no eating nothing im force feeding and force giving her pediasure and pedialyte !!!!! love you TORI oxoxoxxoxoxo
aksm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #64 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Thank you Anna!

I'm still praying for Becky.... she will get there. Her surgery was much more invasive than Grace's. Hugs and love for you and Becky.

Grace ate a few green beans this morning.... all she wants - green beans and zucchini. Will ask to talk to our vet today (not the surgeon) to ask about suggestions... might just do the nutrical to supplement for now until she starts eating more.

She is walking better today. I think the anesthesia is worn off. Her back legs shake a lot when she stands tho. But she did a whole lap around her xpen So that is progress.

She's also much more vocal! Whining (dying goose call) more ... which is good. Luckily she is use to lazy days so laying in bed all day isn't a new things for her.

Will do her meds and feet at 10 and 1030 again.

I'm worried about the razor burns. They are the only thing that looks ugly. The incisions look great! Not red at all (which is good). Using the Animax on her feet like the vet told me to...

But the razor burns are so RED... will dab some animax on them. Wouldn't that suck? She is doing so great but ends up back for razor burn infections? Will ask about that too when I call. I've never had razor burn on my dogs....

Old 01-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #65 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

she smells.... anal glandy (gross, I know)....

Does this mean she will poop today?

Or do I ask the vet if something is wrong?

Old 01-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #66 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

Tori - she looks so much better. What a relief seeing those photos. She's still pretty newly out of surgery. When Tyler had his neuter (which was more like a spay for the undescended testicles that were in his abdomen and he had 8 teeth pulled) he ended up staying overnight at the vet and the next day he was feeling pretty crappy. He then started feeling a little better the third and fourth day. The anal glands could mean she's ready to poop or else if anything really scared her sometimes they secrete some. I would just ask the vet. Can you give her some little pieces of boiled chicken to go with the veggies? The razor burn - I'd tell the vet about it. Don't know if you can use neosporin or any kind of hydrocortisone to help but wouldn't do it until I asked the vet. Makes total sense that she's be clingy. Just try to go with it and she'll keep improving.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #67 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janine
Dog's Name: Charlie & Alex at Rainbow Bridge
Send a message via MSN to MalteseJane

Maybe you could mix some lavender oil with coconut oil (not the fractioned one, the raw). Lavender is good for burns. In the book I have "Essential Oils for Animals" they use Aloe Vera Gel for sunburn. For 100 ml Aloe gel they add 5 drops of Lavender and 5 ml St John's wort oil. If you have coconut oil at home I would just add lavender to it and apply to the razor burn. Maybe also add a drop of tea tree.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #68 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

The photos of Gracie on the previous page are soooooo sweet!

I'm a bit puzzled by the razor burns. I've had animals all my life, many have been shaved for surgery, and I have never heard of any having razor burns. I find that very puzzling and just a bit disturbing. Why don't you take a photo of the burns, call your vet to find out his/her email address, and email the photo of the burns to the vet asking what s/he thinks about it. That way you can get their opinion without having to haul poor Gracie out into the cold and to their office.

I've taken photos in to the vet more than once for one thing or another (much easier when the patient is a 1200 lb. horse) and I've had them say "Why don't more people do this?!" Sometimes they don't need to see the whole animal, a quick pic will do. Our horse vet who is an hour away asked us to email pics every few days of a horse who she had treated for an eye infection. She was able to make sure everything was healing as it should be yet we didn't have to spend half a day hauling the horse to her clinic every couple of days.
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #69 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
Maybe you could mix some lavender oil with coconut oil (not the fractioned one, the raw). Lavender is good for burns. In the book I have "Essential Oils for Animals" they use Aloe Vera Gel for sunburn. For 100 ml Aloe gel they add 5 drops of Lavender and 5 ml St John's wort oil. If you have coconut oil at home I would just add lavender to it and apply to the razor burn. Maybe also add a drop of tea tree.
Thank you! I have these things Well, not the St John's...but I can do lavender and tea tree oil in aloe with the coconut...

Old 01-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #70 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Tori, I cannot believe that the razor burns are that bad....maybe you ask the vet if you can put some Bacitracin on them. Poor Gracie.