Rabies shot and Spay - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nickee
Dog's Name: Yogi

Yogi Was 6 mo old for the shot-Neutered at 6-1/2 mo. did fine,
way better than me!!! I would think she would be fine,like the others have said. good luck-Dont Worry--Nickee in Pa*
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Name: Janine
Dog's Name: Charlie & Alex at Rainbow Bridge
Send a message via MSN to MalteseJane

I would not do both at the same time. So if the law is at 4 months, the vet has no other choice as to tell you it has to be done. Personally I feel that this is wrong. When I bought my lhasa years and years ago, the vet told me he cannot give the rabies shot as long as he was still teething. My next vet told me that the rabies shot was not to protect the dogs but to protect people. So what are you supposed to do ? I have also my own opinion about spaying and neutering. So since your law is at 4 months I would start by doing the rabies shot (but ask that they don't give the full dose, does not make sense that a puppy or small dog gets the same amount as a big dog). Then, hold of for the spay until she is older.
MalteseJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

Maltese Jane, my vet said something similar to yours, only he said he waits for rabies until they start getting adult teeth, not until they are finished teething. When Ivy had all her adult front teeth in, he gave her her rabies; she still was teething her canines and some in the back. It has to do with the effectiveness of the puppy's immune system, not really anything to do with their teeth. The adult teeth are one sign of the puppy's growing maturity which varies puppy to puppy, which is why it is a better indicator than just an specific age. Some pups' immune systems are ready at 4 months but many are not.

The rabies vaccine laws are to protect people. The legal system couldn't care less whether people's dogs die but they do care if a sick dog infects and kills people. Fortunately, the vaccine protects people AND dogs.
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

I agree with everything Ivy's Mom has said. Go ahead and have Gucci get her rabies shot, especially since I know she spends a lot of time playing outside. Better to be safe and follow the law.

Just make sure your vet uses the thimerasol free rabies vaccine. Don't assume he does as most still don't. Call and double check before you get to the appointment.

Thimerosal In Rabies Vaccines Dogs Naturally Magazine

Bailey's vet didn't use IMRAB TF3, in fact she didn't even know it existed before I asked her. She called the company, researched it and decided it was "good medicine" and switched the entire practice to the TF rabies vaccine.

Thimerosal In Rabies Vaccines Dogs Naturally Magazine
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #15 (permalink)

I think Belle got hers at 5months, and she was just spayed on wednesday (shes 6.5 months old). She had an injection site reaction from rabies shot which I guess for the toy breeds is fairly common, but other than that she wasn't sick or ill from the shot. I would get the rabies, then wait to get spayed. My vet told me Maltese normally come into heat anywhere from 7-8months so having her spayed at 6.5 months was ok. ( I was worried of her having a heat before getting spayed :s) but all worked out great, & she had gained a bit of weight from 5-6.5months which made me feel a little bit more at ease
Also, theres an ingredient in the rabies shot that is not good for dogs that you should ask your vet about, however in Canada it's not used anymore in dogs & smaller animals--supposedly just in horses. I forget the name!! Ugh I'll have to check my files & let you know! I researched it A LOT when Belle got hers lol.
Belle-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #16 (permalink)

LOL! Ladysmom! I didn't see your post before I posted mine, yes Thimerosal that's it!! Just ask your vet before hand
Belle-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kaylla
Dog's Name: Khloee

Can I ask why there is concern over what age a pup gets their rabies shot? Is it dangerous unless it's after a certain age? Khloee gets her on Feb 2nd; she will be a little over 4 months so I want to make sure I shouldnt be concerned...
Gongjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

No, it's not dangerous, just ineffective if they are too young.

In all young mammals, immune systems are very immature and don't work like an adult's. That is why people babies also have to go in for multiple shots every couple of months, because the immune system isn't fully "operational" yet so the effectiveness of the shots wears off. Nursing babies obtain their first protection - antibodies - from their momma's milk as long as her immunizations were up to date prior to having her babies. But the immunity the baby receives from their mother wears off before their immune systems will really react to the vaccines which makes it imperative that they receive their "puppy shots" every 3 weeks until they are at least 16 - 20 weeks old. By then their immune system has matured enough that the vaccine "takes" and immunity will be effective for a year or more (depending upon the vaccine). If the puppy receives the rabies vaccine when they are still too young (and my vet goes by whether they have any adult teeth yet to gauge this) the rabies vaccine would be ineffective and would have to be repeated. Waiting until the puppy's immune system is more mature means that the single dose will be effective.

Last edited by IvysMom; 01-18-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

As far as Khloee, if she still has a mouthful of puppy teeth, I would wait. At 4 months, Ivy did not have any adult teeth yet and my vet would not give her the rabies yet. At 5 months of age she had a mouthful of adult teeth, she got her rabies and did fine with it (also had a shot of Benadryl 20 min. prior to rabies shot).
Old 01-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kaylla
Dog's Name: Khloee

Oh wow, thank you Ivy! We have been doing the shots in doses and the rabies is scheduled at 3-4 weeks after her last. Khloee has some adult teeth, but not all of them...I'm gonna call my vet right now and ask.

Thanks again! Gosh I love this site and members! World of knowledge!
Gongjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement