Rabies shot and Spay - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci
Default Rabies shot and Spay

Gucci is scheduled to be spayed on February 7th. The vet just told me that she has to have her rabies shot at least two weeks prior to the spay. I have been TRYING to hold out until 6 months (though NC law required it be done by 4 mos) but clearly I have to get it done OR I have to reschedule the spay. So, my questions are:
1) Should I re-schedule the spay so I can hold out on the rabies until 6 months?? (She is 5.5 mos now and weighs 5.2lbs)
2) If I get the rabies done this Saturday, will it be safe to have her spayed on 2/7?? It's 19 days from then to the spay
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Ashley
Dog's Name: Sophie
Default Rabies shot and Spay

I think it would be okay to get her rabies done now, I know you've been trying to hold off, Sophie had hers at 4.5 months and did just fine with it, and I'm sure you want to get her spayed before her first heat. I don't see why it wouldn't be safe for her. Gucci is a perfectly healthy pup.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

AshleyAndSophiePup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

Ivy had her rabies shot when she was exactly 5 months. The vet gave her a shot of Benadryl 15 - 20 minutes before giving the rabies shot and she had absolutely no reaction to it at all. It was as if she had never had the rabies shot. She was then spayed 3 weeks later.

I would recommend going ahead and doing the rabies vaccine now, just be sure to have the vet give her a shot of Benadryl 20 min. prior.
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Ok. Thanks for the advice. I will get it done this weekend then. UCK!!! So nervous!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Daisy, Maxwell, and Henry, (and Buddy and Bunnie too), Grendel, Molly and Bunny in heaven

Did the vet say why she needs to have the rabies shot prior to the spay?
One shouldn't have anything to do with the other.

Daisy and Max and Henry
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

No. They have really been pushing the shot. I guess bc the law is 4 mos, they want it done to avoid any problems, but I really wanted to wait.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Daisy, Maxwell, and Henry, (and Buddy and Bunnie too), Grendel, Molly and Bunny in heaven

The animal hospital where Daisy was spayed tried the same thing. They told me she had to have the rabies shot first before they could spay her, but would not give me a reason why. I wanted to wait as long as possible too.
I told them I was not comfortable with that, and they went ahead and spayed her anyway without the shot.
If you want to wait longer, you could try just telling them that you would rather wait and see what they say. Maybe worth a try?

Daisy and Max and Henry
Old 01-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I COULD just play dumb and say I didn't know. I called them to ask a few questions, so it's not like they called me to tell me I had to have it done....hahahahahaha (that's my devious laugh)
Old 01-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

That is kind of what I did too.
At the exam, they told me it "must" be done, and I asked why and there was no good answer.
So I just did not do it, and they didn't ask again
I was nervous when I dropped her off that they would ask, but no one did.
To me, it was worth it, because I didn't want her immune system to be dealing with the rabies vaccine, and then the anesthesia/surgery right after. Seems like too much at once when there is no good reason and it could be spaced out. Just my opinon

Daisy and Max and Henry
Old 01-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

Vets have good reason to be anxious to give their clients' dogs their rabies shot. Rabies is a disease that kills people and law enforcement isn't nice if your dog bites someone (even a little dog) and they haven't had their rabies shot. I talked to one of my vets about it once and he said you do NOT want your dog who has not had its rabies vaccine to nip someone. The legal mess is not something you want to deal with and your dog can be taken away from you for an extended quarantine period (see below).

Also, if your UNvaccinated dog comes into contact with an animal suspected or proven to have had rabies (for example a dead bat the pup finds in your yard and proudly brings to you), laws in some areas then require your dog be quarantined in a "secure facility" (ie, a small cage at a state or federal quarantine facility - at your expense) where they will have no contact with people or other animals for SIX MONTHS!

Even dogs who never go outdoors are at risk of exposure. My favorite vet who spayed Ivy last week told me a scary story. He and his wife had just gotten into bed one night when all of a sudden a bat was flying around their bedroom! He has no idea how in the world it even got into the house. All he could figure is that it somehow got in to the attic and came through heating ducts where it finally ended up in their bedroom. Or, it may have come down the chimney when the flu was open. Either way, he said his wife disappeared from the house mighty quickly and did not return until he had dispatched the bat. His point was, even indoor doggies are not safe from possible rabies exposure.
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement