Biscuit had his first 3 seizures in one day! - Page 3 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #21 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Hope
Dog's Name: Bella

I could not bring myself to watch the videos. We had a toy poodle when I was a child that would have seizures and I remember feeling terrified. I am so sorry that you and Biscuit are having to go through this. What a blessing you and your wife are to Biscuit. I will be praying for you...
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #22 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

Sigh. Poor little Biscuit. I didn't watch the videos. It breaks my heart thinking about it when I look at pictures of his sweet funny face, I couldn't stand seeing him go through a seizure. Hugs to all three of you.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #23 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: I'm Sammy: Piccolina, Bambolina and recently Girlie Dolcina are all playing in Heaven
Dog's Name: Poupetta (Poupe') born MAR 2005, Pallina Valentina born JAN 2012, & "Little Girl" born JUL 2009
Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina

Vinh, I tried to open the video but the video was going very very slow.... and I chose not to try further (and follow your instructions)
because I think I will be devastated looking at Biscuit suffering.

and to Vinh, Ann and Anna (Becky's Mom):

I wish all our fluffs were born healthy like "stuffed animals"
no seizures, no liver shunt, no any health issues... but this is the reality of life
and this is also why God has found such caring people like you to take care of them.

Can you imagine if they fell in the hands of someone who could not care for them financially and emotionally?
So I think that they were meant to be in your families so that you will cure them and eventually they will regain the strength and be healthy.

I think of your babies every day, because I feel your pain and I feel their pain but we all pray for them,
and prayers MUST be answered, so we are all waiting for the very close day when you, Ann and Anna will tell us how Biscuit and Becky are
finally recovering and are wagging their tail again

Old 01-18-2013, 08:15 PM   #24 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I have seen too many seizures to want to see more. But I completely sympahtize with your plight. It's so hard to know what to do. I fretted over that for months. This is a terrible disease with a terrible toll. Hoping you can be one of the lucky that reach remission.

Please Donate to GME Research
Lola's GME Research Fund
http://maf.convio.net/goto/lolagme.fund
pammy4501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #25 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marie
Dog's Name: Snowball

Dearest Vinh and Ann ...

Please know that you and darling Biscuit continue to be in my thoughts and prayers more than you will ever know. (Thank you for your kind PM which I will try and answer later today). My heart breaks for you and your precious fluff baby angel ... sweet, sweet Biscuit.

I did try and link to the videos, but, it didn't work. So, I will PM you my email address and see if we can get it to work another way. I know that watching Biscuit have seizures is going to upset me ... however, it is just my own personal way of letting you know how much I care and wish I could be there in person to maybe help comfort you in some way. It must be such a lonely and desperate feeling for both of you ... seeing this happen to your beloved Biscuit and only being able to do so much for him. Also, a few years ago, our Snowball had been diagnosed with "possible" small seizures (long story) but, without an MRI ... it is not certain. (we also have videos that were shown to the neurologist). It is not recommended for us to have the MRI unless the questionable episodes would start again and become frequent. So, as painful as your videos might be to watch ... I want to become educated more on seizures in regard to our little fluff baby angels.

I hope and pray Dr. Sisson can help stabilize Biscuit from having so many seizures. He does sound like a very devoted and wonderful doctor.

Ann and Vinh, I look at Biscuit's picture and just want to hold him close and hug and kiss him. I look into his gorgeous eyes and want to cry ... if one looks closely enough, it's easy to see he is going through a lot ... just like his mommy and daddy. The blessing for Biscuit is that you are doing everything humanly possible to help him feel comfortable and loved ... both of you are blessing him with unconditional love. I hope you feel comfort and peace in knowing that.

My heart and prayers continue to be with you. Please give precious Biscuit gentle hugs and kisses from his Auntie Marie.

Last edited by Snowball Pie's Mommi; 01-19-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Snowball Pie's Mommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #26 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Vinh & Ann
Dog's Name: Biscuit (waiting for Mommy and Daddy @Rainbow Bridge) & lil Pork Chop
Send a message via AIM to vinhle68 Send a message via Yahoo to vinhle68
Default Latest on Biscuit and reposted video via YouTube

Happy Saturday Everyone,

Thank you again for all of the support and prayers for us and Biscuit! These experiences are both educating as well as strengthening our commitment and will to do what we can for our precious little boy. My thoughts and heart is also thinking of Anna and Becky as I summarize this post.

I wanted to share Dr. Sisson response and comment to Biscuit recent seizures and I have also reposted the videos to YouTube for easier access for those that would still like to watch them. For those that cannot bear to watch the sad videos, I totally understand as none of us can ever be in comfort when watching our love ones suffer.

Prior to the recent seizure activities on 1-16-13, Biscuit was actually seem to shown signs of improvement when we shifted to a higher dosage of Prednisone, so Dr. Sisson thinks the latest prednisone reduction did not likely cause the seizures. He adds that seizures are going to occur sometimes. After viewing the videos, Dr. Sisson said these are mild partial facial seizures. These are not as hard on him as violent generalized seizures are, but should be treated regardless.
If anything is done it would be raising the phenobarbital dose not the prednisone dose. He said Biscuit will not tolerate this high of a prednisone dose much longer and that we should continue to reduce the prednisone dose as instructed. We have increase the Phenobarbital to 15 mg twice a day and continue the 50 mg of Leveitracetam (Keppra) every 8 hours.

I am happy to report that since 1/16/13, Biscuit had not shown any signs of seizure as far as we can tell or observes.

Biscuit Seizure on 1-6-13
http://youtu.be/lb20tIFiguk

Biscuit first seizure on 1-16-13 2:06PM PDT
http://youtu.be/-SWJHnsafQU

Biscuit 2nd-seizure 1-16-13 6:09PM PDT file-1
http://youtu.be/7GQMuuvb-eo

Biscuit 2nd-seizure 1-16-13 6:09PM PDT file-2
http://youtu.be/MaKLYN9nY8c

Biscuit 3rd-seizure 1-16-13 6:57PM PDT file-1
http://youtu.be/BDhf1LS9rno

Biscuit 3rd-seizure 1-16-13 6:57PM PDT file-2
http://youtu.be/JeC6lVvAiR4

(Lil Biscuit @rainbow bridge, Lil Pork Chop 16weeks old)

Vinh & Ann
San Jose, California
vinhle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #27 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Thanks for sharing that update Vinhle with the encouraging news about Biscuit. Sure hope that this will continue whereby he does not have anymore seizures. Prayers will continue for you, Ann and of course little Biscuit.
Snuggle's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #28 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Mateo and Mia

Praying for Biscuit and both of you!

Sending lots of hugs for healing soon. So sorry that Biscuit and you have to go through this suffering.

Mateo & Mia
joyomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #29 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: I'm Sammy: Piccolina, Bambolina and recently Girlie Dolcina are all playing in Heaven
Dog's Name: Poupetta (Poupe') born MAR 2005, Pallina Valentina born JAN 2012, & "Little Girl" born JUL 2009
Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina

I was able to see the video which was, to my surprise, not so horrific as I expected it to be.
It show Biscuit tapping his teeth and Ann caressing him.

I am so glad when I see a message that says.....no new signs of seizures

Old 01-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #30 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marie
Dog's Name: Snowball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccolina View Post
I was able to see the video which was, to my surprise, not so horrific as I expected it to be.
It show Biscuit tapping his teeth and Ann caressing him.

I am so glad when I see a message that says.....no new signs of seizures

Vinh and Ann ... I felt the same way as Sammy when I watched the videos. It was a comfort, I'm sure for Biscuit, to feel how lovingly his mommy, Ann, was caressing him during the seizures. And, as Sammy expressed, the seizures did not look as horrific as I was prepared to see.

I am grateful that you shared the videos for those of us who wanted to see them. I think I shared earlier that Snowball has had on occasion some episodes that could possibly be seizures. A few years ago I put two videos on You Tube so that one of our SM members, who is a vet (Jaimie) could give me feedback on what she thought. The videos were also shared with our vet ... along with other videos. These episodes with Snowball usually happened after his walks. I'm wondering with Biscuit if his seizures would be triggered by anything specific. I realize Biscuit has a specific diagnosis ... so maybe nothing certain triggers the seizures ... except the disease itself. I'm sorry if I am not making any sense trying to express my thoughts here. Please just know that I care so much about your precious fluff baby.

I know I have said this before ... Biscuit is so adorable and so sweet looking.

Thank you for the update on Biscuit. My prayers and positive thoughts, along with warm hugs, continue for all of you.