Help with Skin Allergies - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Lynn
Dog's Name: Lacie,Tilly,Secret(Ch Angels Top Secret of Khanthav) & Breeze(Ch Angels Heavenly Breeze of Linmont)
Send a message via AIM to Lacie's Mom
Default Help with Skin Allergies

I know over the years, we've had many thread on skin and food allergies which I have read. I remember some of them, but would truly appreciate any suggestions, experiences, products that you've tried that have been successful in helping with skin issues. I don't know if Olver's (the rescue) allergies are food related (my guess) or environmental or both.

I'm particularily looking for natural and holistic products as I really hope that once we have cleared this up, we won't have to use strong meds except during a severe outbreak. Of course, I'm praying that we will find what he's allergic to and not have severe outbreaks.

In the meantime, please let me know your experiences and suggestions.

Thanks so much. I know I can count on my SM friends to come to the rescue.

Yesterday when I was talking to my Vet, she was pleasantly surprised with how much info I already had on Skin and Food Allergies. I told her it was all due to SM and the info I gleen from here.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: becky
Dog's Name: Bailey, Lucky
Send a message via Yahoo to bailey02

Thanks Lynn for asking for advice. I am having trouble with Baileys allergies as well. She had an allergy shot a few weeks ago but I would like to find something more long term. Hopefully ppl will shime in and give us some advice.. Little Oliver is so lucky to have landed in your home.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janine
Dog's Name: Charlie & Alex at Rainbow Bridge
Send a message via MSN to MalteseJane

Wish I could help you. I had a lhasa with allergies and dealed with them for 10 years but this was before Alex and things have changed since. I am sure there are better things now. I had him tested and he was allergic to everything under the sun. BUT it was the only dog I had who ate only dog food. Also my house had carpet. So looking back, getting rid of the carpet (we didn't have the money to do it at the time) and putting him on people food might have helped. I don't know. After him I was afraid to get another dog with allergies.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Lady had terrible allergies due to her weak immune system (diabetes).

Fish oil is a must for a dog with allergies.

Omega Fatty Acids: Sources, Effects, and Therapeutic Usesin Dogs

Pet Columns, Office of Public Engagement, College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

I also swore by colostrum to boost Lady's immune system. I got it from First Choice Naturals. I called it Lady's "magic powder" as it was her fountain of youth!

http://www.firstchoicenaturals.com/I...oom.php?pid=13

I have allergies myself so I have air purifiers with hepa filters in each room plus I use the Filtrete allergen furnace filters. I only use perfume and dye free laundry detergent and softener. All that helped Lady, too.

Hopefully with a good diet and TLC, his skin will improve.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny

I was just trying to think of how to help with allergies, since Sammie has them. All I can say is I used a Natural Balance Venision & SP GF food for over a year and it worked. The fish is good, but he had a strong odor from it. Grain free, poultry free, beef free diet is what the sticky here rec. I had to chop it up bec it was not little bites. He did so good on that food. Maybe they have a small bites now in Venison & SP. Now that he is 3 and he can eat Fromm GF -- any blend. But has to be GF or he starts up again. His eyes are watery, and he shakes his head alot if I feed a grain kibble. I need to try some of Marjy's tips too for Sammie. He itches quite a bit, esp his ears.

My final opinion is Sammie is allergic to grain kibble, poss duck/chicken in kibble, & grass/pollen.

good luck, allergy's are not easy to deal with.

SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janene
Dog's Name: Babinka (06/09/14 Rainbow Bridge) Peppino and Tiny Tina

Lynn please look up Melissa's aloe pet. I love her products but please look at her website and see if its for you or not! I use this on mine and on myself good luck with everything
maltese manica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Dog's Name: Lacie,Tilly,Secret(Ch Angels Top Secret of Khanthav) & Breeze(Ch Angels Heavenly Breeze of Linmont)

Thanks for the info. Please keep the suggestions coming. I know that Tori had mentioned Emu Oil in another post. I used that on the coats of some of my show Shih Tzus but didn't know it would help the skin.

Also, since this is about the driest place in the world, it undoubtedly makes his skin drier (I know it does mine).

Marj - I have seasonal allergies in the fall and spring and so does Lacie. We have air purifiers throughout the house and I have tile in all the rooms except my bedroom and I will be redoing it in hardwood within the next few months. I also use the anti-allergent filters for the heater/ac unit.

And we have shutters on our windows with cornice boards but no drapes so as not to collect too much dust. And the furniture in my great room is from pottery barn and has washable slip covers that are washed often. I use the tide without scent for sensitive skin and, of course, no fragrance dryer sheets.

I'm hoping that all of these things will help his allergies, but if it's strickly food related, then we will have to start there. Believe it or not, while he was out with us today, his itching seemed much, much better. Maybe the meds, the bath, the food, etc. are helping -- at least a little. I just HATE to see him so uncoverable.

And, he's found his place on our chair and 1/2 and ottoman. The girls did let him know that they don't plan on giving up their places (each has their own special spot), but he found room and has claimed it as his own. LOL
Old 01-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

And -- when I gave the girls their treat this morning, I gave him a piece of his allergy free kibble and he thought it was the same. He seems to know the word "cookie" quite well.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacie's Mom View Post
Thanks for the info. Please keep the suggestions coming. I know that Tori had mentioned Emu Oil in another post. I used that on the coats of some of my show Shih Tzus but didn't know it would help the skin.

Also, since this is about the driest place in the world, it undoubtedly makes his skin drier (I know it does mine).

Marj - I have seasonal allergies in the fall and spring and so does Lacie. We have air purifiers throughout the house and I have tile in all the rooms except my bedroom and I will be redoing it in hardwood within the next few months. I also use the anti-allergent filters for the heater/ac unit.

And we have shutters on our windows with cornice boards but no drapes so as not to collect too much dust. And the furniture in my great room is from pottery barn and has washable slip covers that are washed often. I use the tide without scent for sensitive skin and, of course, no fragrance dryer sheets.

I'm hoping that all of these things will help his allergies, but if it's strickly food related, then we will have to start there. Believe it or not, while he was out with us today, his itching seemed much, much better. Maybe the meds, the bath, the food, etc. are helping -- at least a little. I just HATE to see him so uncoverable.

And, he's found his place on our chair and 1/2 and ottoman. The girls did let him know that they don't plan on giving up their places (each has their own special spot), but he found room and has claimed it as his own. LOL
Food allergies are really pretty uncommon in dogs although they get the most buzz. Enviromental allergies make up 85% plus of canine allergies.

My hunch is that stress is a big factor here. I think when Oliver settles in, has a good diet, lots of love and oatmeal baths, his skin will really improve.

One more thought......has Oliver had a thyroid panel done? MSU's vet school's is the best.

Diagnostic Center for Population and Animal Health
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Lynn, Marj's ideas all seem so sensible & thought through on this. I do think the stress little Oliver has been under takes a huge toll on his whole persona.
I, too, am a huge emu oil fan! It is something I would sell my house to buy! It really is that good.
I would also add ccoconut oil to his diet for a while--just a little each day & watch the stool result. If it is too loose cut back a bit. Give it some time. Try not to change too much at once or you won't know what is helping.
I don't mean to but your place sounds like about the best spot environmentally for Oliver!
Do you remember the musical "Oliver" of the little orphan boy in the UK---this is one & the same story!

OK, now how about a few more pix of the special little boy?
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement