Neuturing Issues/Behavioral Rebelling - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Ashlee
Dog's Name: Rocko
Default Neuturing Issues/Behavioral Rebelling

Hey guys!

So I will try and make this short, but I need all the help I can get because my babys behavior is both puzzling and frustrating..... We have been potty training Rocko since the day we got him. He's been WONDERFUL too, never having an accident in his crate and very rarely, in the house. We have also been letting him sleep in our bed, even though we have been advised against it, simply because we adore him too much to leave him in the crate at night.

Recently, Rocko was neutered. He healed him nicely and we didn't have any issues. Until about 2 weeks after, when he randomly peed on my fiance's lap (he was holding him watching tv). Puzzled, we assumed it was a fluke, since we had just taken him out prior. Two nights later when we were asleep in bed, we woke up to Rocko peeing in it! This same occurance happened two more times before we finally decided to stop him from sleeping in our bed.

My question is this: Why did Rocko do so well in the bed and then out of nowhere start peeing in it?! Nothing else has changed, besides having him neutered. I am trying to determine if it is a physical problem (although we have taken him to the vet and they said hes fine) or a behavioral one..... Please help! My finace refuses to have him sleep in the bed with us and I miss him so much
Rocko Mom32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

How old is Rocko? Puppies go through a teenage stage the second half of their first year. Rebellion, relapses in training, etc. are common. You will have to really work on training, setting boundaries and go back to the basics if need be.

Puppy Development Stages | Wonder Puppy
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Did he squat like he normally does when he pees? Or was he just standing (not squatting at all) and peeing?

If he squatted - I agree with Marj .... Gotta go back to square one. Potty boot camp. You may need to set up an xpen next to your bed with a potty pad.

If he didn't - definitely get him to the vet for tests.

Either way, just to rule anything out, I'd take him in. If this is out of the norm, he just had surgery... I'd take him in just to be safe.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rockos almost 6 months old, we took him to the vet but everything came out normal which has frustrated us even more! My fiancÚ is convinced he's marking his territory but 6 months does seem kind of young for that kind of behavior....

Thanks for all the input!!
Old 01-22-2013, 10:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko Mom32 View Post
Rockos almost 6 months old, we took him to the vet but everything came out normal which has frustrated us even more! My fiancÚ is convinced he's marking his territory but 6 months does seem kind of young for that kind of behavior....

Thanks for all the input!!
Six months is not too young for marking. Is Rocko lifting his leg? If so, he is marking. Just because he was neutered and can no longer reproduce doesn't mean he doesn't know he is a boy. My Bailey started lifting his leg when he peed on his pad at four months. He was neutered a week before his five month birthday before his hormones could really kick in.

He still lifts his leg and marks every bush, etc. outside, but is perfectly housetrained inside. This is a training issue and something you can correct now. Even outside, I don't allow Bailey to pee on neighbor's bushes, etc. I keep his leash short and correct him with a "no" if he thinks about it. Bailey would never mark in Petsmart or at the vet's in spite of all the doggie smells there. You can teach Rocko where is is allowed to mark just as you housetrained him.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nickee
Dog's Name: Yogi

Well I Wont Give Advice On This One,My Yogi Has Been Know To Have A Few Mistakes,But He Doesnt want me to tell you about them.
Not His Fault-I Suck In The Training Dept.
Hope This Is Getting Better for you. Post and Keep Us Up-dated. Maybe I Can Learn Something. Good Luck-Nickee In Pa*
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

It's interesting because we have started leaving him in a sectioned off area in our apartment when I go to work for a few hours, and he never has an accident! He hasn't lifted his leg to pee yet, so it's hard to tell if he's marking or not. When he had ha his accidents he hasn't squated, he just sits and pees away.

Thanks again for any feedback to a puzzling situation, I will keep you all posted
Old 02-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Luca is 7 months old and does unpredictable things, as well. I think it may just be the age and forgetting about their training. I took him for a walk in the mall the other day and he pooped on and off as we walked throughout the mall -- didn't even break a stride, and I had no clue that this was occurring. Very embarrassing when security came up and showed me what they had been finding.

Now he has started marking, which I'm monitoring VERY closely. Don't want him to get in the habit of thinking that this is OK. Luca has also started showing food aggression. So at this time he is driving me a little nuts and sometimes it is hard to remember why I love him. (sigh). I tell myself that this too shall pass. Seems like there are so many phases.

I guess what I'm saying is that I think it will get better in time. I believe it's behavior-related, and will improve with your training consistency.
Luca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Has Luca been neutered?

Marking and food aggression are not phases that will pass. They are behavioral issues that must be dealt with. Neutering can help with marking if it isn't done too late. Food aggression/resource guarding will only get worse if not dealt with now. I would really recommend the Nothing in Life is Free program.

Dog Training: Nothing in Life is Free : The Humane Society of the United States

Nothing in Life is Free
Old 02-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysmom View Post
Has Luca been neutered?

Marking and food aggression are not phases that will pass. They are behavioral issues that must be dealt with. Neutering can help with marking if it isn't done too late. Food aggression/resource guarding will only get worse if not dealt with now. I would really recommend the Nothing in Life is Free program.

Dog Training: Nothing in Life is Free : The Humane Society of the United States

Nothing in Life is Free
Thank you for your advice. This is our second maltese. Our first was a female and we didn't have these issues with her. We assumed that these problems occurred because Luca was a male. Luca was neutered before he was 12 weeks old. The breeder had assured me that when males are neutered before 12 weeks, they will not mark. Our Luca is the exception I suppose.

I had never heard of the NILIF program. I am heading there now to check it out. Again -- your input is greatly appreciated.
Luca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement