Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

OMg how scary! Eagles snatching dogs!

3K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  italianna82 
#1 ·
I was talking to a friend about Blizzard, she and told me this awful story about her daughter's Maltese! Her daughter had two Maltese poodle mixed dogs and one Maltese, the Maltese was smallest of the three. She had them unleashed in the backyard, when an egale swooped in and grabbed the Maltese! She started screaming and her husband ran out just in time to see the eagle drop the Maltese. The pup survived, but ended up with two fractured legs and needed some stitches.
That's not the first story I've heard of eagles taking small dogs. I have a friend who lost her chichuahua to an eagle. I've seen eagle snatch up salmon (which weigh more than a Maltese). We have an eagle that likes to perch in one of the trees along our road. We would never let Blizzard off his leach, but that still doesn't take away from the threat... eagles do dive bomb people (there was a group of eagles that were stealing peoples' hats and scarves in one fishing port. Because eagles are protected, the nest couldn't be moved). I think I'm going to have to accept the fact that Blizzard will be a strictly indoor baby!

#2 ·
We have eagles here, but don't see them much...we have had hawks take dogs though. A little Yorkie was taken awhile back by a hawk. But, he was kept outside, because the husband didn't want dogs in the house. Ridiculous...he wasn't an outside dog...

#4 ·
We had a neighbour who's beagle pup got snatched up by an eagle , it tried to get a better grip but dropped it him and went back for him but luckily people saw it happen and chased it off. The pup had a broken leg and some serious puncture wounds but lived... We had an eagle nesting right across the woods from us and I'd see it every day,it would swoop down in front of our car sometimes when driving, trying to scoop up field rats...
He must not have found a mate so he moved on, we haven't seen or heard him in a couple years...
5 years ago we had a nesting pair about a mile from us but a tornado took out the nest and they moved farther upriver about 30 miles...

Eagles are making a comeback,just one more critter to watch out for...

#5 ·
When I lived in Naples we had these pretty white birds with black wing tips and scissor tails gliding overhead,I'd always see them gliding over the caged lanai, not long after I'd be out with my dogs... or I'd notice them after a while when walking my dogs.... Everglades Kites,a type of hawk, never thought anything of it until the neighbour told me what they do...

Found out they will swoop down ,knock over your dog or any small animal,stun it from knocking it over... if it's too big,they roll it over eats as much as they can, before another critter comes along and fly off...

Most of our fluffs are about the size or rabbits, or smaller....definately something to keep in mind.. Coyotes, and "death from above" hawks, eagles , owls....

#7 ·
Where in Alaska are you? We were in Ketchikan this past June and someone told us about a large old eagle's nest in town that was examined when the tree it was in fell down. I can't remember the exact number now, but there were the remains of many - dozens - of dogs in the nest.

#18 ·
I don't see eagles very often but we have a huge hawk problem here.

We have a swimming pool and a deck and we cannot even let the dogs on the deck with us because as soon as a dog comes out the hawks start circling. Everytime we take them out during the day we have to constantly watch above because they are everywhere! And then at night we have owls.

I have two stories about this..

First, I was house sitting for my neighbor and watching his Pomerian. She was fully trained and would not leave the yard and this was my pre-doggie days so I didn't know any better. We would leave her outside with us when we were swimming and one day we were having a BQ and sitting in the yard eating when I started to hear a loud noise. I looked up and saw 3 hawks circling for her. So after that she stayed on the lease.

Second, I was taking my brother's dog out around 9 at night. She is about 20lbs and we were walking from the back yard to the front and once again I heard a loud noise and looked up an owl was watching us. So I hurried up and tried getting her in the house an the owl actually swooped down to get her even though she was on a short leash with me.

Third, I met my friend at the park with my dog because she loves to run and play there. We decided to take a long walk and we were walking in an open area near baseball fields and I looked up and saw that a hawk was flying above and following us. So I had to put Maddie under my shirt and cover her and we had to go back to the car and leave.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.