Oliver - Atopy Dermatitis - Page 4 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 10:31 PM   #31 (permalink)
Banned

Name: Janine
Dog's Name: Charlie & Alex at Rainbow Bridge
Send a message via MSN to MalteseJane

So glad you are feeling better about it today. You got very good information from all the posts. I cannot add anything to it. I had Oscar from 1984 to 1996, this is a long time ago. I did not had all this new information. He already had an ear infection when I got him but his full blown allergies started when he was 2 years old. He was on prednisone and hydroxizine all the time. At least Oliver is not diabetic. Like Stacy said it's frustrating to deal with it.
MalteseJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 06:05 AM   #32 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Good info here---can it be made into a stick for allergies for pups?
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #33 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

It just occurred to me that if Oliver got allergy shots for awhile, he was tested for allergies. Did they give you a copy of his results? If not I am sure they will. Knowing exactly what he is allergic to will help tremendously.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #34 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Another thing to think about Lynn - Little Oliver popped into my head last night

Gus was obviously a puppy mill puppy, so his start was not good and our Holistic vet says he probably started out with a lot of inflammation in his gut. Then he had a bad case of giardia that was misdiagnosed, and so it went untreated which caused even more inflammation.

Basically her theory (and even my own NMD's beliefs with her own patients, including me) is that inflammation is the culprit in animals that are "allergic to everything", or have "chronic" conditions (like Colitis). They may test negative for allergens but still have symptoms... they may test positive for a whole laundry list of things. But it is all about inflammation.

The Prednisone -- steroids lower inflammation. The problem is they also cause it in the long run, and they suppress the immune system more, so instead of lowering inflammation and building the immune system up, it basically makes them weaker and more in need of the steroids. It's a viscous cycle.

Not saying steroids are horrible - they have their place.... but it's basically a bandaid fix like I said yesterday.

But that's why she started Gus out with things that would lower his inflammation - herbs that would soothe and calm his system, cooling foods (because inflammation is "heat" - remember how hot his skin was the first day?).... cooling essential oils for baths...

So while he is still on his usual treatment and you are in the search for alternatives -- I'd suggest looking less at allergies and more at inflammation. Even if you can only find good information about it pertaining to humans... it is the same in regards to what it does to the body. If you can get his inflammation down... the immune system will be stronger and his Atopy Dermatitis will be much more manageable.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement