Why is she doing this? Could it be regression? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Hannah
Dog's Name: Madeleine "Maddie"
Default Why is she doing this? Could it be regression?

So as soon as I posted the other day about "How many times a day does your dog pee "? little miss Madeleine has started peeing the house again and also trying to poo in the house.

I've been having a harder time getting her to potty outside. In her defense we are having weird weather and all of the snow is melted leaving behind a huge muddy mess. However she wants to play in the mud so how much of a fear of peeing in the mud can she have? Usually if the weather is yucky I'll leave a few potty pads on the basement floor and one upstairs but she is specifically peeing in the living room and hallway.

Now here is my fear. My younger brother moved out of our parents house and took his dog. Maddie has been with her sister Snow since she was 14 weeks old. They have always got along amazingly. I'm wondering if she is regressing because her sister is now gone. My heart breaks for her because it's a big transition.

Maddie has a history of regression. When we first got Snow, Maddie was almost housebroken but stopped pottying outside when got her. We have to re-train her. Eventually she was housebroken again and then we got another dog so she regressed again and was unhousebroken. She's been back to normal for a long time now so I don't know what is causing this.

She isn't even trying to hide the pottying. I walked out of the bathroom today and saw her peeing and she just finished up and walked away.

Please help!
Madeleinesmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

Is she urinating more times than normal or just in the wrong place? If she is urinating more times than normal she needs to be checked by the vet.

It sounds like a dog who was never reliably housetrained and given way too much freedom. She has run of the house?
Old 01-30-2013, 11:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

She isn't urinating more than usual about 2-3 times a day but it seems like she is purposely going in the house. She hasn't been peeing in the house like this since she was a puppy or after we got each of the other two dogs. She either goes to the door or comes up to me and tells me but she hasn't been doing either the past couple of days. She has never been absolutely perfect with being housebroken but I really thought we were fully trained since she's been so good lately. Even when she was injured a few weeks ago she wasn't going in the house.

I'm feeling really annoyed with her right now.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

It sounds like regression to me. These little ones are sensitive to all sorts of things. You may have to back step a little bit with her....it's not her fault
Old 01-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nickee
Dog's Name: Yogi

IT WIll ALl Work Out.Who Knows why they regress. Yogi Does this also. You Said The Baby had a injury-What Happened?
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

Time to back-track in her training:

- Make sure there is no medical reason for her problem such as a UTI.

- Confine her to only the room you are in at the moment and always watch her like a hawk. Use easily movable baby gates to block doorways. You go into the kitchen, she goes into the kitchen. You go into the bedroom, she goes into the bedroom. You go into the bathroom, she goes into the bathroom. If you can't watch her, into a crate she goes.

- Take her outside every 1 to 1-1/2 hours without fail, except when you are not home or at night when she is crated. This is the most critical step. Do it, even when you don't feel like it. And commit to doing this for months, not weeks.

- Clean all areas where she has ooops'd VERY well with an enzymatic cleaner to remove ALL traces of pee odor (to her nose, not yours). I really like Oreck's cleaner. It does a great job Helps clean pet stains and odors with Oreck's No Return Pet Odor & Pet Stain Remover

- Don't scold or punish her when she goes in an inappropriate place. Use a sad disappointed sounding voice and just say something sadly like "Oh dear!", then let her watch as you clean it up. Then go do something fun with her like play tug or fetch, and remember to take her out in another 1 to 1-1/2 hours which will GREATLY reduce oooops in the house and firmly cement in her mind where the right place to go is.
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

Any major life change can cause a lapse in house training. Remedial training and restriction of freedom is the solution.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

She's been on restriction all day and with mommy when I've been home. I think she actually enjoyed being around me non-stop today. It brought back memories of her being a puppy and taking her everywhere with me. She did not have any pee accidents in the house today due to my constant supervision and she did let me know when she had to pee. She did poo in the basement but that was my fault because I left the bedroom door open.

Yogi's Mom- She injured her back a few weeks ago. They believed she had a hairline fracture on her lower back on her pelvic bone. She didn't walk very much besides pottying for over a week.

I want to pick her up "sister" for the day so they can spend time together but I'm worried that will make it worse?
Old 02-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

So after a few days of watching her constantly she stopped going potty in the house and was doing an amazing job. Silly me thought I could start trust her again and last night and the night before she peed in the house AFTER I TOOK HER OUTSIDE. Last night I was worried that she wouldn't go so I was looking for potty pads to leave upstairs and boom she peed as I was searching. I was so annoyed so she's back on mommy patrol.

I am so over this weather our yard is icy and hard.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Daisy, Maxwell, and Henry, (and Buddy and Bunnie too), Grendel, Molly and Bunny in heaven

Sounds like she is making good progress.
I remember reading that potty training isn't continuous improvement - it is two steps forward, one step back.
I know it is frustrating, but keep praising her when she is good. She will get it!

Do you think there is any chance that the pain from her injury is a factor? Maybe she doesnt want to move too far, especially if she is stiff when she first stands up?

Daisy and Max and Henry
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement