How to capture .... - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 06:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Bridget
Dog's Name: Lady Bella (and Katie & Lucky at The Bridge)
Default How to capture ....

As most of you know we are trying to find a missing Maltese "Abby". We are getting SO close! Here's my concern (well one of many ) ~ if God does bless us with the opportunity to see her tomorrow, how do we actually capture her? She is afraid of dogs, very friendly, partially blind & deaf and has been missing since 1/15 - so the fight or flight response will have kicked in. Oh and she has dementia . The newspaper carrier tried to get her to come with treats, but she ran. Ideas on how to grab her...even if it's dark outside? Prayers are needed!

"A weed is just a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Summergirl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nickee
Dog's Name: Yogi

Bridget i dont have any good answers. I Just Wanted to tell you i think your concern and all your help has been so wonderful. Someone is lucky to have you doing all this. I Hope You Know How Great You R. Nickee in Pa*
God Bless You For All You Are doing.
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

I am just gonna copy and paste some stuff from the Missing Pet partnership website. I personally don't know how well this will work, but for what it's worth, here it is -

Quote:
One of the worst things that you can do is CALL a stray dog or panicked dog! That's because if too many people have already tried to capture the dog, calling him becomes a "trigger" that can cause him to automatically take off in fear when anyone, including his owner, calls him. Instead, make some type of other noise like clearing your throat or fake a sneeze to alert the dog to your presence. Then look away, which is a submissive gesture. You can even fake like you're eating food on the ground, and we suggest that you have a baggie of smelly treats like pieces of hotdog or liver treats. Sit down on the ground, or even lay flat on your back and pat your chest. Do anything other than staring straight at your dog while walking towards him! One of our volunteers captured a tiny terrier that ran from her when she called him but he came wiggling up to her once she laid flat on her back and patted her chest. Another of our volunteers captured a panicked dog by getting out of the car with a Frisbee and started tossed it back and forth with the dog owner as they both just ignored the dog. WHEN YOU FIXATE ALL OF YOUR ATTENTION ON YOUR DOG AND THAT DOG IS IN A "FIGHT OR FLIGHT" MODE, HE WILL BECOME EVEN MORE TERRIFIED THAT YOU ARE TRYING TO CATCH HIM! So work to get his attention and then do something with food as you sit or lay down flat and work to attract him to come to you.
You should also know that when dogs are in a full fight or flight mode and their adrenaline is flowing, the olfactory section of their brain closes down. That's why sometimes when you try to feed a hotdog to a panicked dog it won't eat it. So sometimes the food will work, sometimes it won't. It depends on the dog and what level of panic he is in. Also, some dogs will immediately recognize their owner by their scent but other dogs won't. Kat recently blogged about why you should NEVER call a panicked dog.
Source: Fireworks / Disasters/ Panicked Pets | Missing Pet Partnership
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Thank you Nickee...that was a really sweet thing to say. I think all of us on here would do the same for anyone. We Malt families are a tough crew!

Old 01-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Thank you SO much Aastha! That information was very helpful. I'm hoping and praying that we will get the chance to practice these techniques tomorrow!

Old 01-31-2013, 06:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janene
Dog's Name: Babinka, Peppino and Tiny Tina

My friend and i always rescued stray dogs. Get KFC to lure her as she will be hungry and try to crouch down and gently lure her with the warm succulent smell. Hey it worked to lure a German Shepard puppy

Last edited by maltese manica; 01-31-2013 at 06:53 PM.
maltese manica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Great idea Janene and Abby loves chicken!!!!

Old 01-31-2013, 07:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Laurie
Dog's Name: My Triple Threat - Lily, Addie, Jackson, Luci Mae at the bridge

Good luck! I so hope and pray that you can get her home safely. You're an angel.
ladodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka
Default How to capture ....

Yes!! Definitely take the tastiest (and most stinky) treats. KFC ranks up there, haha.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Since I won't be able to get the KFC before the morning search, I opened a can of chicken (juice and all) - it smells like chicken/tuna (ugggh!). I think it's going to work well since Bella has been acting like a crazy girl since she got a sniff of it lol! She's trying to scratch down one of our doors to get to the trash can where we threw away the can!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement