Lepto vaccine - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

When we lived in a high risk area my dogs receive lepto vaccines yearly. I've never had a reaction with the new 4-way lepto vaccine. It is much better than the old one. If you need to give it, just keep it separate from other vaccines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

I'm sorry you are worrying so. Before MiMi's breeder told me not to get Lepto my bichons had it as part of the normal course. They never suffered. Next time you will know that it may not be something you need. I just hate that the drug companies are pushing unnecessary vaccines on us. I just hate drug companies period.

Don't worry. It will be okay, but there won't be a next time, will there? Lepto virus is very rare in the US except for maybe Hawaii. Don't give it again. It is a virus that flourishes in hot humid climates...it breeds in standing water. If you do not have that environment, you can forgo further lepto vaccines.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

I think be should be fine if he hasn't had a reaction already. Give him a kiss for me.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Bailey doesn't get lepto and Lady didn't either. Both their vets do not give lepto to small dogs so it wasn't even a discussion. Bailey's vet told me that the worst vaccines reactions she has ever seen have been from lepto.

Just of word of advice, do your research before Piper gets any vaccine so you can make an informed decision. Discuss any concerns with your vet beforehand. It will spare you from worrying after the fact or regretting getting a vaccination should Piper have a reaction.

I really recommend reading the book Scared Poopless.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylie View Post
Lepto virus is very rare in the US except for maybe Hawaii. Don't give it again. It is a virus that flourishes in hot humid climates...it breeds in standing water. If you do not have that environment, you can forgo further lepto vaccines.
Unfortunately, lepto is on the rise in animals because of the increasing prevalence of wildlife in populated areas. If you research it, you will find the while it was declining in the 1990s it is again on the rise and toy breeds are not exempt. Those same coyotes we see in our neighborhoods can be carriers of the disease and if your fluff comes in contact with the urine of an infected animal it can be passed. For that reason, lepto is again a core vaccine in many areas, including mine.

In 1998, in springfield IL, something Like 50 people competing in a triathlon where they swam in Lake Springfield got sick and tested positive for lepto. If the humans got sick, so can our fluffs.

Tessa gets hers tomorrow - she got it last year when the protocol was updated and had no problem. We're outdoors enough that it's worth the risk.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Hope
Dog's Name: Bella

I do not get Bella vaccinated for lepto. I understand your worry - I am a worrier too! I am sure Pipper is just fine.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila
Default Lepto vaccine

Leila got the vaccine and did fine.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieh View Post
Unfortunately, lepto is on the rise in animals because of the increasing prevalence of wildlife in populated areas. If you research it, you will find the while it was declining in the 1990s it is again on the rise and toy breeds are not exempt. Those same coyotes we see in our neighborhoods can be carriers of the disease and if your fluff comes in contact with the urine of an infected animal it can be passed. For that reason, lepto is again a core vaccine in many areas, including mine.

In 1998, in springfield IL, something Like 50 people competing in a triathlon where they swam in Lake Springfield got sick and tested positive for lepto. If the humans got sick, so can our fluffs.

Tessa gets hers tomorrow - she got it last year when the protocol was updated and had no problem. We're outdoors enough that it's worth the risk.
I just googled lepto a couple of days ago and was informed that no cases were reported outside of Hawaii. I am sorry if this information was not correct. We live in an area so devoid of life that I don't think even a flea could live here...I don't think I can live here either, but that's a whole different story. I am sorry if what I thought was fact, was misinformation.
Everybody needs to research and then research again. It would be nice if there was one simple answer, but there is not.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:16 AM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieh View Post

JMM is correct---the newer Lepto vaccine is safer & covers more strains.
Many of you will remember that this is the first of two serious anaphylactic reactions Lisi has had to her vaccines. It only took about 1/2 hour for the reaction (she was mildly reacting before that but it became serious VERY fast) to blow up!
We normally live in large cities so it is a MUST because of all the rats---but she can't have any more vaccines at all. Kitzi will be due soon & he hasn't had a reaction to any vaccines yet, so not yet certain what I will do. I will, most likely give it in the states in June, most probably the newer 4-way vaccine.
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"

Last edited by edelweiss; 02-02-2013 at 03:18 AM.
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #20 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

CDC - Health Care Workers - Leptospirosis

This is the incidence in people.

It is on the rise along the east coast of the U.S., especially in cities due to rat populations. New forms of leptospirosis threaten U.S. dogs

In the Washington, D.C. area we have seen a huge increase in Lepto in small house dogs over the past 7-8 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement