Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Lepto vaccine

3K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  edelweiss 
#1 ·
Pipper got his lepto vaccine today. The vet said that most people in our area do get the vaccine but now I'm reading stuff I don't like. I should never come home and look stuff up on the internet because now I'm all paranoid that something bad is going to happen to him. I'm such a worry wart. How many of you guys DO get this vaccine and if he was going to have a reaction, how soon would it happen. He had the shot 3 hrs ago. It was just lepto he got today.

#2 ·
Steve recently had his annual shots, but we postponed the Lepto vaccine so he didn't get them all at once. I emailed a college friend of mine who is a vet and asked for her opinion on the vaccine. She said vaccine reactions are extremely rare and she goes over the risks with her patients. Here was her response:

"I discuss risk with my owners when deciding to give the lepto vacc. It's a disease spread by wildlife into stagnant water sources. So, if you have a lot of wildlife in your yard or standing water, or if they're around those environments, it's worth considering. It's mainly a disease of outdoor dogs, but it is showing up more in house pets in high risk environments. Vaccine reactions are rare. If concerned, I recommend giving separately from other vacc to minimize discomfort. Hope that helps!"

I still haven't taken him in for the vaccine but I plan to as we have a lot of wildlife around here. He has not had any reactions to vaccines so I feel like he'll be fine.

#3 ·
Thanks Celeta, that helped. I have a bad habit of always second guessing myself and was worried I made the wrong decision to give him the vaccine. The lepto was given by itself. We split up his vaccinations.

#5 · (Edited)
Kathy We Must be twins** I Do The Same thing Read and scare myself to death. i wish i was differant but thats the way iam. i hate my self for being like that. Stevie Moms Post was good. I Have put it off also. but i have a lot of wildlife in my yard in a wooded area. my vet said i better get it--so i will but not now. Iam Just getting over having baby teeth pulled for yogi. I Need Time To Re=coup. Yogi did fine i was a wacko. Nickee in Pa* Kiss Love And Hold Him Tight Tonight-Sending some prayers-dont worry!!!!!

#6 ·
I am sure if Pipper hasn't had a reaction yet he will be fine. It's interesting that different vets have different opinions. My vet called the lepto vaccine the "devil" vaccine. You were smart to have the vaccine given by itself and not in combination with anything else.

#7 ·
Many years ago my vet said my Aussie and poodle should get it. It was becoming"rampant" here. Ok. Aussie got one, poodle got one. Poodle threw up for 3 days. Neither got the 2nd shot. Why? I don't know. Size difference? Maybe. But no more for my current fur kids.

#8 ·
My vet who is in his 60's with decades of experience said if Ivy were his, he would NOT give her the vaccine. He said he lost a mini-dachshund patient to the lepto vaccine awhile ago and there was nothing he could do could save her.

Ivy was still under 5 lbs. at the time of the discussion and so we decided to postpone it and when she is full grown and has gained every ounce she can, then we'll revisit the question. We are loaded with wildlife, and ***** and possum regularly wander through our yard so it is definitely an issue for us.

#9 ·
Pipper weighs 12 lbs so at least he isn't tiny but I've just got myself so worried. When can I feel safe that there won't be a reaction. I doubt I will want to get it again but then we have a lot of rabbits and skunks and racoons so it seems like a no win situation. Grrrr, I hate worrying all the time.

#10 ·
Kathy, I believe most reactions to the lepto vaccine include facial swelling, hives, and anaphylactic reactions. Anaphylactic reactions occur shortly after exposure to whatever caused it. So I am sure Pipper is safe. I know it's so hard not to worry about our fur babies.

#12 ·
I'm sorry you are worrying so. Before MiMi's breeder told me not to get Lepto my bichons had it as part of the normal course. They never suffered. Next time you will know that it may not be something you need. I just hate that the drug companies are pushing unnecessary vaccines on us. I just hate drug companies period.

Don't worry. It will be okay, but there won't be a next time, will there? Lepto virus is very rare in the US except for maybe Hawaii. Don't give it again. It is a virus that flourishes in hot humid climates...it breeds in standing water. If you do not have that environment, you can forgo further lepto vaccines.

#15 ·
Lepto virus is very rare in the US except for maybe Hawaii. Don't give it again. It is a virus that flourishes in hot humid climates...it breeds in standing water. If you do not have that environment, you can forgo further lepto vaccines.
Unfortunately, lepto is on the rise in animals because of the increasing prevalence of wildlife in populated areas. If you research it, you will find the while it was declining in the 1990s it is again on the rise and toy breeds are not exempt. Those same coyotes we see in our neighborhoods can be carriers of the disease and if your fluff comes in contact with the urine of an infected animal it can be passed. For that reason, lepto is again a core vaccine in many areas, including mine.

In 1998, in springfield IL, something Like 50 people competing in a triathlon where they swam in Lake Springfield got sick and tested positive for lepto. If the humans got sick, so can our fluffs.

Tessa gets hers tomorrow - she got it last year when the protocol was updated and had no problem. We're outdoors enough that it's worth the risk.

#14 ·
Bailey doesn't get lepto and Lady didn't either. Both their vets do not give lepto to small dogs so it wasn't even a discussion. Bailey's vet told me that the worst vaccines reactions she has ever seen have been from lepto.

Just of word of advice, do your research before Piper gets any vaccine so you can make an informed decision. Discuss any concerns with your vet beforehand. It will spare you from worrying after the fact or regretting getting a vaccination should Piper have a reaction.

I really recommend reading the book Scared Poopless.

#20 ·
#23 ·
Hi Kathy,

Sorry I've been busy and finally caught up to this thread. How is little Pipper today?

Thanks for posting this thread about Lepto Vaccine. Good learning experience for me at the least.

I google and found this article that goes into some interesting details.
Leptospirosis in Dogs How They Catch It, How We Cure It, How We Prevent It

I'm curious, what is a simple way to take our Malts' temperature from home? Is there a home kit we can use and not cause any irritation to our loveable furballs?

#25 ·
Some dogs do fine w/NO Benadryl & the vaccine. Some dogs have anaphylactic shock w/Benadryl & the vaccine, and some dogs tolerate both w/no effects---every dog is different. My vet will not allow Benadryl before a vaccine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.