(GRAPHIC) Spay Photo. Is this normal??? - Page 3 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #21 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Sounds good, Anna...

she could be allergic to something, and that is the redness....

I know my vet did free "checks" for me if I was worried about anything... I could bring Grace in free of charge for them to make sure her sites were okay.

Hope she continues to rest and improve....

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #22 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci

To be honest, the picture I posted is what it looked like when I picked her up. I don't know how quickly an infection could set in, but it certainly doesn't look any worse.
If it doesn't change by tonight, I will take her to see them in the morning. If it gets worse, I will, OBVIOUSLY, bring her to an Evet.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #23 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianna82 View Post
To be honest, the picture I posted is what it looked like when I picked her up. I don't know how quickly an infection could set in, but it certainly doesn't look any worse.
If it doesn't change by tonight, I will take her to see them in the morning. If it gets worse, I will, OBVIOUSLY, bring her to an Evet.
Sounds good. I know from where they put staples in my knee from my operations two weeks ago it looked really red and angry but got a little better each day and is fine. Where they put nothing (holes for arthroscopic) it looked better. Neosporin sounds good and see how she is tomorrow. And dont' sweat the poop. As I said, it took me 5 days after anesthesia and pain meds and I wasn't in distress at all. Just anxiously waiting. I got a new perspective on that whole issue.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #24 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Here is a photo taken just a few minutes ago. I can't really tell if it looks any better. What do you guys think???
(GRAPHIC) Spay Photo. Is this normal???-wp_20130210_005.jpg
Old 02-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #25 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Beatriz
Dog's Name: Dominic, Benjamin (Bellarata's Bark Knight Rises by Design) & Elena (Ch Bellarata's Prophecy Girl)

Oh my I would go to the vet's as soon as possible. I have no experience so don't let my opinion panic you but it doesn't look like is healing smoothly. Poor little thing... you may like to check with the vet then let it aggravate, plus if it's all normal at least you don't worry about it as much.
Give her some love from us.
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #26 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

I feel the same way about it today as I did yesterday. It looks way too "open" to me. Go back and look at my post in this thread of the photo of Ivy's incision 36 hrs. post-spay. It is closed up tightly, no open gaps, and it was from when I first saw her about 3 hours after surgery.

My concern about it looking so "open" is that it is literally an open invitation for bacteria to enter the wound (and abdomen) if it is so open. I would like to see that surgical incision much tighter, much more sealed. However, I have never had a vet use staples to close an abdominal incision (always have used sutures or surgical glue) so I have not seen others closed with staples that I can use for comparison.

In my opinion, I would go take her today to a DIFFERENT vet from the one who did the surgery. Since it is a Sunday, that would give you an easy excuse for getting a 2nd professional opinion rather than going back to the vet who did the surgery.

She may do just fine. But I've had female dogs all my long life and I have never seen a post-surgical incision look like that. I would be very concerned if it were my dog.
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #27 (permalink)

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Mia

I think it looks like he did a horrible job using staples! She could be having an allergic reaction to the staples too but her surrounding belly is really pink. I would get this checked. Please keep us updated. Hope she heals quickly!
Old 02-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #28 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia's Grammy View Post
I think it looks like he did a horrible job using staples!

That's exactly what I think too but I was trying to avoid coming right out and saying that; however that's why I suggested taking her to a DIFFERENT vet for a 2nd opinion. Since you're braver than I am and said it, I'll now come right out and agree with you: That is the worst incision closure I have ever seen. The incision closure should look much more like Ivy's in the photo I posted on the top of page 2 in this thread, tight, smooth, and CLOSED! I've never seen anything close to what this one looks like. I just hope she is all healed up and just fine very soon!

Last edited by IvysMom; 02-10-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #29 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia's Grammy View Post
I think it looks like he did a horrible job using staples! She could be having an allergic reaction to the staples too but her surrounding belly is really pink. I would get this checked. Please keep us updated. Hope she heals quickly!
That's kind of how I felt, but again, never having a dog, I didn't know if this was just normal.
Is this something they can even fix or is this going to just be a permanent nightmare???
Old 02-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #30 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

No, not permanent.

The main concern I see is bacteria/infection entering through this still open wound. I would want a 2nd opinion as to whether there needs to be a revision of the incision closure, either with sutures or surgical glue (preferred), and get those staples out of there. However, I would be concerned the vet who did the surgery to begin with would just say it is fine. I would want a 2nd opinion as to whether there needs to be a revision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement